Author Topic: dog introductions--help!  (Read 2312 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
dog introductions--help!
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:42:59 am »
My mom has a female border collie mix that is Tipper's best friend and has been for 6 years. Whenever my mom comes to visit she has always brought Maggie with her. Since I adopted Jenny last October Maggie has not been at my house. My mom and I were thinking that we want to try and have her bring Maggie and meet Jenny. I am not really too worried about Jenny, she approaches all dogs that she meets with a friendly tail wag and sniff, however, they haven't come into her house, either. Maggie, on the other hand, is a pretty dominant female and doesn't really like a lot of dogs. She likes Tipper and one other big paw male, and other than that, she keeps her distance from other dogs. She is not aggressive, but more cautious, distant, and aloof.

I had a foster dog for a brief period of time some years ago and my mom and I met outside and walked all the dogs together, which everyone was fine with, but then when we brought all the dogs in the house, Maggie was none too pleased. When Maggie first met Tipper, he was there first and they never had any problems. (also, he's a male and very submissive).  I was thinking that maybe Maggie should meet Jenny in my house so that Maggie sees that Jenny is already here...but I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom of introducing dogs. I know many of you have introduced dogs of all temperaments and would love some suggestions or thoughts about how to make this a successful meeting. Thanks!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: dog introductions--help!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:10:19 am »
Actually on her turf(Jenny)I would not reccomend it,I would have the two meet on neutral ground first..
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:48:57 am »
Actually on her turf(Jenny)I would not reccomend it,I would have the two meet on neutral ground first..

I agree. Neutral ground is always wise & a good safeguard for a first (or 2nd) introduction.  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:40:47 am »
I would never introduce 2 dogs on either one's turf.  Find a neutral point, park, ball field, walking down a sidewalk that neither one normally walks, so there is no territorial feeling from either one.  Keep both dogs on leash, not tensing up but calmly let them do the whole sniff and check out greeting.  If all goes well, walk them together and let them continue to get to know each other.  I would probably introduce them off property, more than once, prior to taking them in either dog's house, if you are concerned about either dog. When you do take them into the house, I would keep them on leash and not leave them alone at all, unless you see something, eating side by side, laying side by side, playing nicely with each other, etc. that convinces you they will be okay together.  This may sound like overkill, but I have seen and heard about disastrous consequences from introductions gone horribly wrong.  My son had to take my springers to his house once.  My dogs had never been to his house and he had 2, 2 year old male pit mixes.  My dogs walked in and the female grabbed one of his males and would not let go.  He finally got them apart and after trying to resolve it, ended up having to keep his dogs in his bedroom for 2 days, until he could bring my dogs home.  My female would lay outside his bedroom door growling.  When he took his dogs out, she would watch them out the window growling.  This is the same dog I could take anywhere, dog parks, etc. and she never had a problem with any dog, anywhere.  Taking a dominant dog to another dog's house does not automatically resolve the issue.  Better safe than sorry.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:19:06 am »
I would never introduce 2 dogs on either one's turf.  Find a neutral point, park, ball field, walking down a sidewalk that neither one normally walks, so there is no territorial feeling from either one.  Keep both dogs on leash, not tensing up but calmly let them do the whole sniff and check out greeting.  If all goes well, walk them together and let them continue to get to know each other.  I would probably introduce them off property, more than once, prior to taking them in either dog's house, if you are concerned about either dog. When you do take them into the house, I would keep them on leash and not leave them alone at all, unless you see something, eating side by side, laying side by side, playing nicely with each other, etc. that convinces you they will be okay together.  This may sound like overkill, but I have seen and heard about disastrous consequences from introductions gone horribly wrong.  My son had to take my springers to his house once.  My dogs had never been to his house and he had 2, 2 year old male pit mixes.  My dogs walked in and the female grabbed one of his males and would not let go.  He finally got them apart and after trying to resolve it, ended up having to keep his dogs in his bedroom for 2 days, until he could bring my dogs home.  My female would lay outside his bedroom door growling.  When he took his dogs out, she would watch them out the window growling.  This is the same dog I could take anywhere, dog parks, etc. and she never had a problem with any dog, anywhere.  Taking a dominant dog to another dog's house does not automatically resolve the issue.  Better safe than sorry.  Good luck.
Kathy

Thanks! I appreciate your response. I think I'll tell my mom that it's still not a good idea for her to bring Maggie.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven