Author Topic: Drool Gland Removal- Is this a real procedure that's being done?  (Read 16108 times)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
I recently heard that you can get your dogs drool glands removed to stop the slobber.  Is it true?  Is it safe?  Just curious.  To me it doesn't sound possible as dogs must need to salivate??  Any pros on the subject out there?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Drool Gland Removal- Is this a real procedure that's being done?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 09:51:03 pm »
Not that I have done any research on it, BUT to me is sounds stupid and mean. A common reason why dogs slobber is because they produce a lot of saliva when they smell things and especially with big lipped dogs and if you on top of that is a male lol..... well its just the way nature is.

I have heard of removal of a gland that produce some kind of slobber in ferrets but I really know nothing about that. I do know though that they remove the scent gland in ferrets that are pets, so they dont totally stink down your house.

But this was the first time I have heard of removal of "slobber gland" in dogs. I sure hope it is not for real and if so, only when absolutely needed for medical reasons, not because people are tired of mopping slobbers. If thats the reason well get a mojo lol..... I am sure they never slobber.

Interesting though Saintly Girl, now you gave me something more I have to research  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Blair

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:42:35 pm »
Why remove it...I love the drool, if I didnt I wouldnt have the dogs I do. I think it would be so stupid and pointless to do, but wouldnt surprise with some of the "people" in this world :-X

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 11:21:21 pm »
Remove the drool glands??? :( I have heard you can take out their "barker" too...I'm aghast!!!...I love drool!...I live for drool!...Drool is my friend!...lol...I am a firm believer that dogs should do what dogs do...& we should love it unconditionall y like they do us. :)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 07:02:02 am »
I knew it sounded strange.  I didn't believe that people got their dog's drool glands removed.  I've never heard of it before until a little while ago.  Supposedly some lady had newfs and had it done but I'm not 100% sure if it's rumor or true. I feel the same way about ear cropping and for that matter tail docking.  I don't think there should be any cosmetic surgery done on dogs.  They obviously don't need it.  It would be like doing cosmetic surgery on your children.  It's just not done.  I say that, but I did get one thing done on Maxwell that I'm not 100% positive was the right thing.  My vet recommended that his rear dewclaws be removed when I neutered him.  She said that when walking in the woods or playing, the floppy toes can get caught and really hurt them.  I agreed to it because it sounded logical.  They removed the toes and stapled the incision.  Getting the staples removed was horrible!!!!  Maxwell had to be muzzled and held down by my husband and two vets.  I tell you, I almost fainted!!!  I had to leave the room and sit down.  I don't believe he was in much pain but mostly scared.  My veterinary hospital has quite a few different vets and the vet that removed the staples was furious that the other vet had even put them on him during the operation.  From now on, I will only bring Maxwell when the good vet is in.  If you're lucky enough to find a good vet, stick with him/her and never take your dog anywhere else.  Here's a photo of my Cocker too.  I'm always talking about Maxwell and I'm feeling guilty.  Hee Hee!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 08:37:39 am »
I had never heard of this process either until several people had asked us why we didn't have this done to Hutch :o. NO WAY! I love my boy, drool and all. And when I am feeling particularly nasty, I take pride in his drool when the MIL is around!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 09:24:56 am »
I say that, but I did get one thing done on Maxwell that I'm not 100% positive was the right thing.  My vet recommended that his rear dewclaws be removed when I neutered him.  She said that when walking in the woods or playing, the floppy toes can get caught and really hurt them.  I agreed to it because it sounded logical. 

Maxwell is adorable!  I don't consider dewclaw removal cosmetic sugery like ears or tails or saliva glands.  I've seen several dane puppies blinded by their littermates' front dewclaws!  Ever since that, we've had them removed when the pups were about three days old.  Many of them sleep through the procedure (without anesthesia), so it can't be too painful.  The vet cauterizes the wound, so there's nothing to remove.  I know it's not essential because the injuries from them are pretty rare, but I still don't feel guilty about this like I do with the ears.

At 3 days old the pupper's central nervous system is not completely developed so it doesn't hurt them greatly to remove the declaws then but at neutering age it's a different story...I also had Samson's rear dewclaws removed at the advise of my vet...I had it done when he was neutered also...It made perfect logical sense to hear the vet....I was SO wrong in listening to the vet!!!...First off Great Pyrenees have a double set of dewclaws on their back feet...It is unique to the breed as I understand & breed purity is often judged by the double back dewclaws...Als o, in the Great Pyr, the dewclaws are more attached then in other breeds of dogs...I don't know about the St. but I know they are cousins of the Pyr...I found later the vet actually had to remove a bone to take the dewclaws...My poor Sammy has 8 stitches in each foot & it was no small area...My brother called him frankendog :'( It was HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I look at him each & every day & feel guilty for what I did to him :'( I know how you feel about Maxwell but we can't change what is done :(...Pippin will keep his dewclaws without a doubt!!!

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 11:17:19 am »
We got Solo when he was about 7 or 8 months old.  Around when he was almost a year old some friends were staying with us and we were talking about the dogs.  They suggested we have Solo "de-drooled".  Both Sean and I were horrified at what they said and we told them so.  Sean moreso than me.  Anyway, Solo is now about 6 1/2 years old.  We haven't seen these "friends" in 5 years.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 11:33:48 am »
Don't do it! If you don't want a dog that drools get another breed.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 11:47:36 am »
I wonder what the research says on the whole drool removal issue?  Can the dog function without it?  What are the side effects?  SaintGirl, It's funny that you said Hutch's drool is a MIL deterrent!  I said the exact same thing.  When I bought Maxwell, I thought to myself, this dog will be a MIL repellent!!  Now she will hardly come in the house, let alone sleep over.  Same goes for Brother IL.  Hee Hee!  My MIL would come over and begin cleaning right away like my house was a pig sty.  I would just wash the floors the day before and then she'd come over and wash it again even if I told her I just washed them.  "Didn't wash it good enough....GGRR RRRR!!!"  I'm sorry, but my hubby and I both work full time jobs and clean up on the weekends.  My mil hasn't worked in 30 years and her house is spotless.....I f anyone would walk in my house, they wouldn't think it was dirty.  It looks fine...but it'll never be clean enough for her.  Oh well...I'm on another rant.  Don't get me started on mils!!!  Mine's a nightmare!!  My hubby's pretty non confrontationa l but I told him that if he didn't say something to her, I would, and he wouldn't like it.  Now thanks to Maxwell, I have no problems at all!!  Ha Ha!  He's not only cute but functional too!!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 12:42:03 pm »
LOL, it sounds like we have similiar MIL Saintly Girl. I could vacuum 80 times a day and still have my house covered in fur! I wonder when mil will figure out that wearing black in my house is just plain dumb! Hutch still has one rear dew claw, it just wobbles around, but when we got him he had already been neutered and the vets hadn't removed it. It is something that I am going to bring him in for at 2 years old to have removed, but if he does have to go in for surgery for something else, them we will have it removed. We used to be concerned that he might snag it on something and tear it off, but so far we haven't had any problems with it. The vets assured us that even if it does come off then at most he will need a bandage. It just isn't worth the risk of putting him under for a dew claw alone.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 12:49:14 pm »
BTW, Did you call the breeder I told you about?  What did she say?  If you get Hutch's claw removed, make sure they don't staple it.  Get them to stitch it with disolving stitches.  The staple removal totally sucked!!!  Oh yeah.  We took Maxwell to the beach for the first time in his life.  He went in but didn't swim.  I think a big reason why he didn't swim is because it was cold so we weren't in the water swimming with him.  He did love the beach though.  There were oyster and clam shells on the beach and Maxwell went "MMMMM seafood buffet!!"  He was eating see weed and everything!! It was quite funny.  My friend had her digital camera and when she e-mails me the photos, I'll post some.  Maxwell is being a bit timid in the water but I think he'd swim if I was in there with him.  My cocker's the same way.  He won't go in until I'm in.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 02:58:24 pm »
Saintly Girl, gave the breeder a call once, and she wasn't in. Now I'm waiting for hubby to get home (he's away for the next week) just in case we do have a language barrier (he's better in french than me). I will definatley keep that in mind about the staples! A stitch or two should be all that is needed is what the vet had said before.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 03:52:01 pm »
Why remove it...I love the drool, if I didnt I wouldnt have the dogs I do. I think it would be so stupid and pointless to do, but wouldnt surprise with some of the "people" in this world :-X

Is that a mojo I see under the couch heheheh, please ohhhh please tell me it is a mojo...... girls we have a mojo member lol........ we have to make a tiny BPO shirt for him.

Saintly Girl......... Send your MIL to my house, after a week here, she will see your house with new eyes and never again complain hehe. it is well known on here that I never clean, just sit infront of puter and read posts on here hehe. Well sometimes I grab a pooper scooper and do some cleaning up, in the yard that is lol....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 12:17:22 pm »
 :-\

Drool glands?  For real?  Dogs have drool glands?

??? ???

Never thought of it. 
If you don't like drool, don't get a dog!

luvmenewfs