Author Topic: Questions for breeders or those with breeding experience  (Read 11980 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Questions for breeders or those with breeding experience
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:28:14 pm »
I know that this may open another can of worms but but of another thread I read, I am wondering now....What do you do with puppies that you can't sell? Do you keep them? Do they go to someone for free? Do they go to a rescue? I know it might differ defepnding on the kennel but I was just wondering in general what happens.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Questions for breeders or those with breeding experience
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:37:42 pm »
Good question Jaba!...It would be ideal if all puppies born already had homes lined up but unfortunatly & realisticly that doesn't happen. :(  Samson's breeder contacted me 2 days ago through e-mail wanting to know if I wanted to stud him out...WHAT????? :o  I politely informed her that he was fixed though I'm sure Samson would have loved it..hehe!

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:02:33 pm »
15 years or so ago when I bred my dobies I didn't have a problem with homes for my pups, and although we only had four litters, they were each 10 to 13 pups each. We thouroughly checked each buyer, required references and vet phones. In return my phone number and address was given to each purchaser. I only had one dog returned-(because she was smarter than they were and they couldn't handle her puppiness) and I rehomed her within about a week for free. Since my phone and address has never changed I still get calls from my dog's families occasionally, and will get asked if I have any puppies for a freind of a freind. I also have never bred since, and all of my current furkids are fixed because I no longer want to breed. Now if I could find such an easy solution for my 17 year old skin-kid, I'd sleep better at night.
Stella

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:58:20 pm »
omg i wish they would just do that here give away the unwanted pup i would love to have a newfy or dane
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 06:20:03 pm »
I have never bred a dog and don't know any breeders besides Zoey's (and I hate her now, but that is besides the point). But last week I heard a really sad story related to this topic. Someone posted a message on a forum for my work looking for someone to adopt a bichon frisse from a vetrinarian friend of theirs. Turns out, the puppy had an eye infection (easily curable with a month's worth of medicine), so it's breeder brought it to the vet and asked for it to be euthanized since it was 'defective' and she couldn't sell it. The vet refused, but took the pup and treated and fostered it until he could find a home for it. It worked out for the pup in the end, but I am horrified the breeder wanted it put to sleep.  It makes me very angry.
RIP former BPO

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 06:28:25 pm »
That's awful!!! It's sad to think that some(not all) breeds think of the animals as business only, not a living being, and can toss them aside so easily. I'm glad the vet stood up to the breeder and said no.

nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 08:58:24 pm »
What on earth was that breeder thinking? Poor puppy. Defective??? If I only had her name....grrr.. ....I am with you Rocket, I would take another Newf for free anyday!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 05:35:57 am »
good question

have useally have my pups sold
 even before they are bred
 and only to appoved homes only
with a contract,,,,,,, pets are to be spayed or nueterd. breed to make
better dogs  not more!!!!!!
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 06:34:14 am »
I would not make any breeding without several people on a waiting list beforehand.

I plan breedings VERY far in advance. For example, a possible late '06 breeding of my puppy (contingent on health testing and finishing her AKC CH title) at this time has 6 puppies spoken for.

I would collect deposits after the bitch is proven in whelp.

All puppies here are also sold ONLY on contract, all companions are sold on Limited with S/N required.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 06:40:46 am »
GOOD DEAL!!!!!!
SINCE OUR BITCH IS ALREADY FINISHED AND ALL OFA'S ARE DONE  AND SO IS THE SIRE 
I DO THINK I SHOULD HAVE A BEAUTIFUL GET ON THIS LITTER TO BE
NANDI IS GOING TO BE BRED THIS WEEK!!!!
ALL I HOPE IS MY HUSBAND DOSNT WANT TO KEEP THEM ALL  LOL
I WILL KEEP 2 FOR SURE
,,,,,,,,,, BTW  BRAG  MY MIDORI HAS WON RESERVE WINNERS BITCH, NOT BAD FOR A 8 MONTH OLD PUP
 I THINK SHE MIGHT  BE MY WESTMINSTER  SHOW DOG  IN THE FUTURE
 GRAND SIRE AND GRAND DAM, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK!!!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 06:42:22 am »
Maia's breeder failed to make sure all their puppies would have homes before breeding their female.  Therefore, when I got Maia at 10 weeks, they had reduced their prices 2 just trying to get rid of the puppies.  When I took Maia they still had 3 males left, they were going to keep one, see if the stud's family wanted the other, and try to get another family member to take the last.

Maia's mom required a c-section and the vet went ahead and spayed her which I think the breeder was relieved about.  A litter of puppies to harder and more expensive than most people think.  I have never bred a dog but I do foster quite a few young litters. 

I wouldn't mind a nice free mastiff or two just because someone else couldn't handle their puppyhood. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 06:52:44 am »
Taijinrr, your dogs are lovely, your puppy is adorable.

I just won the first point on my pup this past weekend.

14 to go. :D

She is 11 months old.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 06:52:57 am »
I THINK PEOPLE SHOUD DO A LOT OF RESERCH BEFORE BREEDING
I HAVE BEEN RAISING RIDGEBACKS FOR OVER 20 YEARS 
YES  A LITTER IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO RAISE

OUR GOAL
IS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 BREEDING FOR TYPE AND TEMPERMENT
AND AGAIN   
BREED TO MAKE BETTER QUALITY DOGS,,,,,,,,,,,NOT MORE
 I TELL PEOPLE IF YOU CAN GO FOR MY PRICES OR ABIDE BY MY CONTRACT   PLEASE  SAVE A LIFE AND GO TO THE SHELTERS WHERE SO MANY UNWANTED DOGS NEED HOME,(FROM  UGH  BACKYARD BREEDERS) SENDING UNLIMETED PAPERS JUST STOPS REGERSTERING THE PUPS , NOT BREEDING THEM.
THAT IS WHY A SIGNED CONTRACT ALSO IS GOOD, AND CHECK OUT THE HOMES YOUR BABY IS GOING TO. AS WELL AS PROSPECTIVE BUYERS SHOULD CHECK OUT THE BREEDER. I STILL GET E MAILS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE MY LINE, DOGS NOW PASSED ON FROM AGE, IT IS SUCH A GREAT FEELING TO KNOW YOU SENT LOVE TO A FAMILY, AND THEY WILL NEVER FORGET YOU OR THEIR PUP

ann

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 06:59:27 am »

it is sad i often wonder about all the lab pups .in our  area our paper is full every week with labs and alot of the small mixes people pay alot of money for..my breeder also has his pups sold before thier born but that still doesnt garentee a good home,i remember a few years ago a gsd was found tied to a tree in a back yard and a breeder seen him and ask the people if they would sell him ,they did and that dog won westminster..h e was a show dog from a good breeder ended up in a back yard with no life until good people found him, makes ya wonder how good contracts and deposits realy work.....

ann

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 07:06:39 am »
A contract and a deposit is no good at all if it's not the right home.

I do not sell ANY dog to live outside. No dog I sell may be tied as a method of confinement EVER.

If a person is out of my area and I do not know them personally, I have a trusted friend in the area do a visit and home check.

I require references from their vet, and I collect birthdates and SSNs in case I EVER need to track someone down that has one of my puppies.

I have been very fortunate to have had wonderful people come to me for my puppies, but accidents can happen and mistakes can be made in placing puppies.

My contract ensures that I can repossess any puppy I place that is mistreated. It is very sad how so many dogs live out their lives. My hope and goal is that all my puppies (they are mine as long as they live as far as I'm concerned....:D) live their lives in loving homes being well taken care of.

I am available at ALL times to my puppy people for any questions, help, and I will take back any dog I ever bred at ANY time in it's life with no questions asked.

Breeding dogs and placing puppies in the correct homes so that they can have a permanent loving lifetime home is very serious business to me. It is my duty to any puppies I produce to see to it they have the best lives possible. :D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com