Author Topic: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?  (Read 19034 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 03:27:49 pm »
Ok, totally off subject, but Gunther's new pic in your avatar is a WINNER! He looks like the Grinch!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jupiterjenny

• Ankle Biter
  • Daisy Mae
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 03:38:22 pm »
i had a harli dane ( she died recently..sigh) and actually got into a fight with a guy who was a dalmation breeder and that my dog was a dalmation!I could not make him belive me she was a dane! i think he must be breeding the worlds uglist dals- heres a link to a pic of her -http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4995105/
with the dane i have now -she gets called a hound mix all the time!the funnist thing i had said to me though was , i paint my dogs nails ( to desentitize them to nailtrimming ect) and had painted my danes nails bright orange- someone actually asked if danes nails came that color!!
Check out my art work!
www.jupiterjen ny.deviantart. com

k2campbell

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 03:52:28 pm »
Oh gosh, yes - happens to me all the time...

Lots of people think Kate is some sort of German Shepard cross (which I can understand with her coloring).  But then again - a lot of people look at me like I smoke crack when I tell them she's a Leonberger...

A WHAT?! 

A Leonberger!

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 04:36:08 pm »
I get it a lot with Savannah. She always a chocolate lab or some kind of hound mix, ha ha!

With Neo it's usually just OMG, what kind of dog is that?  :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 04:59:51 pm »
Everyday every time we take him out. It is funny and frustrating at the same time. Oh...how I love my black Saint Bernard! I mean black Pyrenees! Opps! I meant my Big black Lab! ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 05:01:10 pm »
I get "Oooh, love, that's a big dog... I know he's part german shepherd, but what's he cross with?" My answer is, of course, he's cross with people thinking he's part german shepherd! He's been called a malamute, newfoundland, st bernard, 'burmese' mountain dog and "he's a pyrenean isn't he - he must be as my friend has a white one just like him".

I would be surprised if anybody actually knew what he was first off outside being at a dog show. I'm used to it after many years with shar-pei. I've heard it all from people with the shar-pei. The three gems being what a nice Neapolitan puppy I have, that she's going to be a big dog when she grows up (Tinker was 8 yers old at the time) and "are they male and female, like a lion and lioness" when I was out with Tinker and her daughter Phoebe who was a bearcoat and did look strikingly like a small lion.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 05:27:45 pm »
A lot of people have asked if Drake was a Portuguese Water Dog, which was somewhat understandable when he was a puppy, but now?  Uhhh, no.   We've also gotten Bernese or "Burmese" as so many people call them, Great Pyr, and St. Bernard.  All of those are close, so I can't blame them for trying.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 05:29:03 pm »
Everyday every time we take him out. It is funny and frustrating at the same time. Oh...how I love my black Saint Bernard! I mean black Pyrenees! Opps! I meant my Big black Lab! ;D

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Black pyr! That has to be my favorite! ;)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 05:45:12 pm »
This topic is too funny.  Well Hugo has been called "a giant poodle", a bouvier, the "biggest scottie" ever.  When I tell someone he is a Giant Schnauzer, they will say "gosh I didnt know they made them that big!"  LOL!  (who is "they" anyway :)   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 05:48:42 pm »
who is "they" anyway? 

DON'T YOU KNOW???  They rule the world, They say why things are so, They talk.  BEWARE!!!  They will come for you....
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 05:52:15 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! ;D  that's what they say....... ;)
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 05:53:27 pm »
Confession time:
Before I ever even heard of a Newfoundland Dog, I once saw one in the back of a pickup and thought it was just the most awesome male (arnie-style)  flat coated retriever I had seen  :P
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 06:47:59 pm »
We have so much fun with these two! Luke is always mistaken for a "golden" when he is really a samoyed/pit/shepherd mix. Daisy is mistaken for a cattle dog or basenji.  When I tell them they're brother and sister, they just say "huh?"
At this point I don't even know....but Luke keeps growing. He's bigger than mom and dad at six months!!  :D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 07:56:05 pm »
This topic is too funny.  Well Hugo has been called "a giant poodle", a bouvier, the "biggest scottie" ever.  When I tell someone he is a Giant Schnauzer, they will say "gosh I didnt know they made them that big!"  LOL!  (who is "they" anyway :)   

hehehehe...... the "biggest scottie" ever..... oh man! 
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

cricket36580

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 08:18:13 pm »
I get the Lab comment sometimes and sometimes people just look at them funny and say "gee, they look sooo much like danes but they're the wrong color"!  heehee.  Then I get the "holy cow! What is that!!?"...  Fortunately, I've never gotten the pit comments, probably because they are so popular around here and everyone and thier mother has one.