Author Topic: Please Help - Blu is bullying new family member  (Read 6184 times)

EllieAndBlu

Re: Please Help - Blu is bullying new family member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:18 am »
Doesn't sound like there are any problems with Ellie at all so she can probably stay unless Riley starts showing signs of jealousy after you kick him out of the bed.

Luckily, dogs are much more adaptable to change than we are so, while you may feel guilty for changing their privieges, they are likely to get over it much faster.
Yeah, I have to agree with this.  As sucky as it is to have to kick them off the bed, I agree that Blu should be the only one up there or none of them.  It is possible that once you start making pack order clear, Riley could go after Ellie if she is in the bed, once he 'loses' his position over Blu, he may try and establish himself as being 'above' her. I don't know, I have pretty strong feelings about this issue, as I see it as a very strong indicater (to dogs) of alpha status.
Last week David and I were driving through Portland and I thought about something as I was looking at the buildings.  The more money/power you have, the higher up your office/apartment is.  If human beings are so compelled to be the highest that they will spend all their money on the higher up space....imagi ne the importance it has for a dog who is in a close knit pack!
 :D     

Well said Ronda!

I made a point to make sure Blu was first out and first in yesterday and though I already make Blu and Ellie sit and wait for their dinner - I made sure to call Blu to his food first when usually I would give them the "okay" together. Riley generally eats upstairs, but I might start feeding him with Blu and Ellie to reinforce the Blu-is-alpha issue (what do you y'all think?)

As for sleeping.... last night I slept upstairs with my roomie's small dogs (they are so needy....lol) because she had to work. Funny, Riley didn't even try to get on the bed. He slept on the floor and in his chair. So we'll see how it goes downstairs tonight - I am not sure where I am going to put the big guy yet...lol.  wish me luck!  :)

Thanks soooooo much for all the help and advice!
BPO'ers are the best EVER!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:58:57 am by EllieAndBlu »