Author Topic: Does Anyone Have a Dog Door?  (Read 8269 times)

k2campbell

Does Anyone Have a Dog Door?
« on: November 13, 2005, 03:20:43 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Kate just loves being outside, we were off from work last week and she was out almost every morning (into afternoon) 'lounging' for a few hours.  She has a room (sort of - laundry room) she stays in (with a gate) while we're at work, and we'd like to put a dog door off of that room (right next to the back door) so she would have free roam to the backyard while we're at work.

Anyone have a dog door (brand) they'd suggest?  And maybe some install tips?  Would appreciate any/all info here. 

Thanks!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Have a Dog Door?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 04:55:44 pm »
I don't have one, however, I would suggest you look into the ones that have security built into them. I know they make ones that only open when the sensor that the dog wears on it's collar is near it. I don't know how much they cost but I think they are deffinately worth looking into since any door big enough for one of our big-paws to go out is also big enough for a stranger to go in.

RIP former BPO

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 05:50:37 pm »
I don't have one, however, I would suggest you look into the ones that have security built into them. I know they make ones that only open when the sensor that the dog wears on it's collar is near it. I don't know how much they cost but I think they are deffinately worth looking into since any door big enough for one of our big-paws to go out is also big enough for a stranger to go in.

Can't imagine a crook crawling into a house with a dog that needs a doggie-door the size of a dishwasher :)
But then again, there is Dumb Crook news for a reason.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 10:10:25 pm »
Thanks guys  ;)  Ha ha - too funny (doggie door the size of a dishwasher)!   :D  It's true though when you think of it!

Good thing is, we have neighbours directly on our back yard (no alleyway) so they're really the only ones who could even see that we have the doggie door.  Unless someone came into our backyard (but) I doubt that...

Regardless, we're getting a lock for our gate...

Kelly

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:42:08 pm »
We have a dog-door...and yep, it's about the size of a small dishwasher.  I think we got it from dogdoors.com.  And about security:  as the dog trainer told us, anybody who has a dog door that size doesn't want to see the dog that goes with it.  If the bad guys only knew :D

Our biggest problem with it is that our cats also use it and they love to bring their kill in to the house every night.  I've ended up taping the door shut at night so we don't wake up to a murder scene every morning  :o!  EWWW!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 11:55:39 pm »
I'm glad you said that about the cats, we're planning on installing a dog door and I've been worried about that same thing.  Our little siamese mix got out the other night and showed up at the patio window a couple of hours later with a wiggling snake in her mouth, wanting us to let he back in.  It's bad enough when it's dead but brining in live snakes?   Taping it at night sounds like a good idea... I dont know what we'll do I wish we could fix it so it takes more force than the cats could muster to open it.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:06:16 am »
We toyed with the idea of a doggy door, but decided against it. We live in a very urban area, and don't like the idea of the dogs being outside when we are not home to monitor. Especially with puppies I am afraid that they may not be there when we come back. Too many threads have been posted here on stolen dogs.
Stella

Offline Gunnersmom

• Gnawer
  • Big dogs. . . big babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 05:19:13 am »
We have always had a dog door, but not for use when we're not home. Too afraid of the dogs being stolen. Most doors come with a slide that you put in to close it off when you want to keep the dogs in. And unfortunately I've had to use this door twice when I have locked myself out of the house! ::)  Good thing I have a big dog door, I barely squeezed through! But it is nice not to have to get up every twenty minutes to let the dogs in and out.  House training is a breeze with a dog door also.
Until there are none-rescue one!

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 10:26:49 am »
Thanks all for your advice!

I am a little weary too of letting Kate have access to outside when we're not home (scared she'd be stolen, seeing as she's so darn friendly)!  We are still thinking about it, but the good thing is, we are getting a really good gate lock, and our fence is 6 ft high.  Also, our neighbour doesn't work and is home everyday, she could totally keep an eye out for anything 'suspicious'.

But, I'm still scared to do it!  Regardless, the door would be good for evenings and weekends, as Kate wants out a lot!

Anyone recommend any dog door brands?  Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks again everyone ;)

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 10:33:46 am »
We don't have a dog door for one reason Farley!  He would dig a hole under the fence and be gone. He still needs supervision in that department. We have to do a fence check every couple days. So far he has only dug holes up next to the house. ::)  The boy is a bit confused.

I think the doors are a great idea. If we just had Puck. I would put one in in an instant. Puck loves to be outside. It would be great if he cold come and go as he pleased. Maybe when Farley matures it may be a possible. ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 10:34:02 am »
The door we got through www.dogdoors.c om is the one with the glass doors and it works well.  There is also one that is operated by a magnet that the dog wears to open the door....I wish now that we'd gotten that one and the cats wouldn't get the secret code!!  I have no idea how well it works, but I like the idea!

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 03:20:05 pm »
Thanks for the info guys!

I will check out that dog door with the magnet from that website, thanks Newflvr.  Don't really need all the neighbourhood cats showing up in our house (but it would be funny) hee hee :D

Thanks again - and I hope Farley breaks his habit soon enough so you can get a dog door IceRotti!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 10:48:29 am »
Dog doors are wonderful. 

One of our dogs' doors goes to a fenced yard which the big dogs use when we are home. 

When we are away, they use another dog door which opens onto a kennel with a concrete floor and chain-link panels for the walls and roof.  The panels are bolted to the cement and the nuts welded on.  There is a human-sized gate in one panel with a lock.

I prefer the flexible types with magnetic flaps and inserts to close the hole.  When it is windy, the magnets are not strong enough to hold the flap shut on the biggest door, but the small ones stays shut.  We have tried the ones where the door flap is solid plastic, and a nine pound dog broke the hinges off the first door in about five minutes.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 02:41:32 pm »
we have one that goes out to a fenced in yard and porch. Best thing we ever did.  They love it and I love that they can go out on their own.
We bought a Staywell XL and it works just fine.
Hope that helps
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 03:15:36 pm »
Snow? What's snow?  :D

We don't even get that much rain, but that's a good point. Maybe if you restrict the area the dogs can get to when they come inside (if the door is off of the kitchen or dining room, let's say). Or you can just lock the door on rainy days so they can't get out. Not sure. I love the comment about seeing what size dog comes out of the door-no kidding!