Author Topic: HALTI  (Read 5891 times)

nickerbokker

HALTI
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:08:07 pm »
so a while back, i broke my back.  to anyone who has experienced this, you know it is quite painful and you are never exactly the same.. well, it was never a problem with my angel cody....he has NEVER pulled on the leash, always been SOOO good.  but then i got the devil, and the devil taught the angel to be a devil, and they both always pull me around right?...so, about 3 weeks ago, we were walking, and they both TOOK OFF after a neighbor of mine, but the catch is that they both ran behind me in a different direction so i was FLUNG around in a really fast snap motion and then was tangled and still being pulled and trying to stop them and not fall and not kill myself......SO, i totally killed my back...its to the point that i cannot bend over anymore, i have a neighbor pick up the poop for me! AHH.  So...i am fed up with my devils pulling me, so i went out and bought haltis HAHAHAHAHA.... .

i put on codys first.  and he wouldn't move.  LOL.  he was just staring at me with these glossy eyes saying "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME MOMMY, I LOVE YOU!"...but, it didn't work on me, i laughed at him.  i had to coax him downstairs and then he sat his butt down and would not walk with me, would not pee, would not poo, wouldnt do a thing, just sat there SO upset that his world came crashing down and mom was being mean!  i in turn, think it a riot!

angus is a whole other story!  he is just PISSED lol.  he is fighting it, pawing at it, running around me, being the devil i know him to be....so its quite a pain in the arse!  but, all in all, i just laugh at him. 

its like HAHA, you hurt me, and now you have to wear a halti!  LOL....

it will be better for both of them in the long run though!  i hate regular collars because even if we are having an off day and they for some reason are listening to me, if something catches their attention, i have 2 friggin big dogs (ang is as big as cody now!) pulling me together.....a ll i need is a sleigh and i would be good to go!  but they are strong man, and they aren't good...so they get what they deserve LOL

im really not mean, im just amused by their pathetic faces with the hatli on LOL

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: HALTI
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 12:09:10 am »
Good for you  :D, I take it Cody doesnt pull anymore, does Angus??? You said he is running around and being a pain in the butt, but does he pull? I am sure once they get used to it, it will help you a lot. Please dont forget to tell us how things are working our for your boys and their new haltis.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 08:57:18 am »
I have used Gentle Leaders on my guys since they were 9 weeks.  They both hated them at first and will occasionally paw at their faces or run when they see me get them out.  But they also know when they see them that we are going somewhere.  I am so happy I use Gentle Leaders, my guys can fool everyone we see into thinking they are the best, most obediant dogs in the world with those things on.  I get tons of compliments when we go for our daily walk in the park (granted a get a few scared people who think I have my dogs muzzled).

I think it is great you have halties.  You will love them and it will make you enjoy taking your dogs out.

Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 09:29:23 am »
lol, im late for work so this has to be short....but the latest developement is that cody just lays down LOL

as soon as it goes on, he literally falls on his side and wont move.  he lays there and looks at me and if i manage to get him off the floor, then he keep his arse in the air and puts his head on the ground LOL

when i get home ill try to snap a pic cuz i bust a gut every time he does it....but I GOTTA GO

angus DOESN'T PULL!  THANK THE STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE A GOOD DAY PEOPLE!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 09:52:26 am »
The gentle leader (HALTI) is a miracle.  I finally began using it for Greta while on a two-week road trip during which time we stayed in campgrounds.  As I've noted in other posts, she is dog aggressive and becomes really bossy when other dogs walk by, especially when Lou is walking with her.  So, we stopped at a small pet shop and picked up a gentle-leader.  It really helps a lot.  Of course, she swung her head back and forth, defiantly for a while and scratched at her face, but soon realized that she had to behave herself and stop acting like such a big fool ninny.  I have had a great number of people in the public comment as they walk by, "That rottweiler has a muzzle on!" and others ask me, "Why does she have on a muzzle?"
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 03:12:47 pm »
A gentle leader and a halti are not the same.  It is kind of hard to explain, it is easy to see if you have both together.  The ring under the chin on a gentle leader is clipped up against the chin but on the halti it isn't, with the halti when you pull a little it tightens, not so with the gentle leader.  The halti is solely for training purposes whereas the gentle leader is also a training device but it also acts to calm the dog.

I hope thats not too confusing.

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 04:56:14 pm »
i have one of each...and use them on the different dogs.....BUT, i call them the same thing

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 05:58:51 pm »
i have used both the halti and the gentle leader they are very much different  i like the gentle leader much better then the halti i use it on chance it doesnt work with sammi shes a rot mixed with jack russel there doesnt seem to be a whole lot that works with her so i walk only chance
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 08:13:07 am »
 Jaimie -

Thank you for the clarification.  Our device is a HALTI and not a gentle leader.  :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 03:16:37 pm »
Your Welcome :)

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 06:52:30 am »
I completely understand about your back and not wanting to get pulled all over the place.  I myself have found that I like the halti for my saints better than the gentle leader.  Barkly could get the GL off but not the halti.  We would only use it when we were going somewhere where there was going to be a lot of dogs or activity; otherwise he didn't need it.  I'm a big fan of it especially for training.  I think that they are a lot more humane than a choke chain, or a prong collar. 
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 12:27:41 pm »
I just bought a Halti for our foster dog Lulu, but haven't tried it on her yet. She gets so excited when she sees the leash and is a "jumper". I'm hoping this will help. My parents have used one for years and swear by it.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain