Author Topic: Zoey had a terrible vet visit tonight  (Read 8097 times)

k2campbell

Re: Zoey had a terrible vet visit tonight
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 04:41:22 am »
I am so sorry to hear about Zoey’s bad vet visit.  It really is hard to find a good vet (believe me, I’ve been to lots).  Not with Kate, but with my dear Slater (Rotti) who has since gone on to the Rainbow Bridge.  We had to go to 4 different vets with him before one would give him the gentleness and understanding he deserved.  Slater would ‘growl’ when saying hello, excited (etc) – his whole bum would shake at the same time (so) it wasn’t ‘aggressive’ at all.  We had some vets say ‘you are bad owners for letting him do that’ or ‘that is unacceptable behaviour’ (etc) and they wouldn’t touch him.  Until we found a vet that actually ‘talked-back’ to him and laughed along with the growling.  It is hard to find a good vet.

Regarding her ‘nail-cutting’ issues, I have a suggestion.  Might not work, but you never know.  We did it with Slater (and) are now doing it with Kate.  We cut her nails last week – not a problem at all (don’t even know if she realized what we were doing).

When we’re relaxing at night (watching TV, lounging) one of us will get on the floor with Kate and play with her paws for a few minutes.  In between her toes, touching her nails, grabbing her whole paw (etc).  Just gentle movements.  So, when it comes time to trim the nails, she’s familiar with all the grabbing & moving.  We cut her nails when she’s ‘passed-out’ (so-to-speak), just before bedtime.  She doesn’t move an inch.  Don’t know if it will help (or if you already play with Zoey’s paws), but it could…

I hope she is feeling better soon – poor girl!  Dogs are so sensitive and some people just don’t care…

k2campbell