Author Topic: pictures!  (Read 7740 times)

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Wolfie & Freddie: The New Puppy
pictures!
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:43:40 pm »
charlotte still isn't eating dog food  ???, but other than that, she has pretty much adjusted.  much less cowering and jumpiness.  still loves the bed tho!  here she is with freddie, playing in the yard.    :D ;D  and there she is with her best friend simon.   ;D  if anyone has any suggestions about getting her to eat, that would be great.  i've cut out most of the treats, but i'm scared to totally stop bc she literally hasn't eaten any dog food.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:46:42 pm by jdumin »

Kiahpyr

Re: pictures!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 07:40:57 pm »
They both look great!! I'm sure she'll come around soon!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:20:01 pm »
I think tuna would entice her to eat especially because it's good and smelly.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 09:32:19 am »
hehe, she actually ate some of my tuna yesterday!  weird, our other dog wants nothing to do with it.

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 09:32:59 am »
good ideas... i never thought of eggs!  scrambled?

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 09:36:56 am »
My great dane Brody went through a "stage" where she would eat one bite and then be done. We took her to the vet and the vet said she was healthy and just to keep offering her food. I put yogurt on her food for 4 feedings and now she eats it all the time. I also give them scrambled eggs on occasion. But the yogurt when mixed in covers the kibble and Brody ate it. Good luck
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:04:21 am »
Charlotte is beautiful :)

I suspect that the main reason she isn't eating because she doesn't like the flavor of your dog food. Zoey will stop eating when she gets bored of a food, but when we use toppings she is anxious to eat everything. Tina already listed some good toppings. In addition to those, I would say leftover bits of meat, beef/chicken broth, and warm rice.
RIP former BPO

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 04:23:20 pm »
We feed science diet dry and this wet food called Merrick (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/) which our local pet store recommends highly.  Apparently the owner will even eat a can to show you the quality of the food is human quality, even though made for dogs.  They make cat food too.  My Freddie LOVES this stuff, especially because it comes in a variety pack, so he gets Cowboy Cookout one night, Thanksgiving Dinner the next, etc.  He still will get bored with it eventually tho -- that's when feta comes in handy...  Definitely we've tried chicken, steak, etc.  (Basically pieces of whatever we're having.)  But Charlotte still seems too scared to eat downstairs in the kitchen.  She's fine upstairs in bed (she'll eat a few bites of dry or wet food there).  She also gets into this obsessive compulsive thing where she runs in a circle -- through the downstairs, up the main staircase, through the upstairs, down the back staircase, and again and again and again until we go get her, pet her, and bring her to where we're sitting.  she does the same thing outside - around and around and around in circles.  hmm.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:32:13 pm »
It's time consuming but have you tried hand feeding her her meals?  At least until she gets used to things there.  I had to do that with a cat we had in the past.  After he got used to us and his new home he started eating just fine on his own.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 04:53:07 pm »
I'm definitely interested in learning about what is a better food!  Where exactly do I find this?  I don't care about the cost, I just assumed Science Diet was a good food because it's what my parents fed our dogs growing up, but I'm sure a lot has changed/improved since then!!  Please let me know!

Charlotte doesn't seem to be interested in the hand feeding either.  I think that actually freaks her out more.

She is sooo loving by the way, she is a huge cuddler, and a big hugger -- she comes right into your arms if you squat down and hold them out palms up, low to the ground.

Went to the vet the day after we got her - he says she's really healthy other than being 10 lbs underweight.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 05:26:55 pm »
Cinder was a very picky eater and we couldn't keep weight on her for the longest time.  Then we switched over to Natural Balance Ultra Premium and she eats that like a champ.  We also started adding different add-ons but she will eat the kibble by itself and really likes it.  I looked at the Merrick brand but couldn't afford it and I also looked at the Chicken Soup.  I got samples of both of those and tried with the girls and they liked them okay.  Right now I am also switching my foster puppy over to the Natural Balance and he hasn't had any problems with the switch over.  Maybe try and get sample bags from the company you are interested in and try them with her.  By the way, she is gorgeous.  Sorry this is so long of an answer and hope it helps.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 08:49:03 pm »
thanks!  btw, that is the best picture of your doggy.  did you have it taken professionally?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 08:54:28 pm »
How long have you had Charlotte? Now that you have mentioned she will eat upstairs in bed but not downstairs, I am thinking it is not the food flavor that is her issue but her stress level. Especially since you mentioned the circles - circle running is something zoey will do if (and only if) she gets stressed out and scared.
RIP former BPO

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:37 pm »
we've had her a week tomorrow.  :)

she actually ate something tonite!  merrick venison stew.  phew.  she ate about a cup of it, with some feta.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 09:40:46 pm »
Lemme think.

Some add ons to the kibble:

Grated cheese
barbeque sauce
warm gravy
yogurt
tuna
cooked eggs

hmmmmm, that's all I can think of right now.  I'll add more if I think of any.

Good luck.

Tina

JUST MY 2 CENTS!!! i think pampering her will only teach her to wait, and she will recieve. i would have food (no add ons!) available to her 24/7, even at night (only if she sleeps in a crate). cut off all treats unless training, and keep that at a minimal. praise her when she eats, but let it be self rewarding! hope this helps! Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007