Author Topic: This bites but Pippin will not be starting obedience classes tomorrow  (Read 10337 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

After alot of thought & talking to my vet I am bummed to say I will not be starting Pippin in obedience classes tomorrow night...In light of this new canine virus that is sweeping Iowa & the fact that classes are held at our Humane Society I have decided it is not worth the risk to Pippin's health to start just now...Until more is known about this virus we are going to wait...I have had them hold him a spot in the next class & hopefully by then I'll know more...Samson starts adult classes after the holidays...I hope we are able to attend by then....I've had Samson through 2 puppy coarses so I will just continue to train Pippin at home with what I already know...My uncle's dog & my sister's dog are fairly frequent visitors to my home but even play dates with family have been suspended here...Scary stuff!

Anakalia

Re: This bites but Pippin will not be starting obedience classes tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 05:58:40 am »
I don't blame you one bit for not taking him to the class.  Especially if it 's at the Animal Shelter.  It's better to wait to see what's going to happen with this virus thing.  Take care.

Andi

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 11:22:56 am »
I don't blame you one bit for not taking him to the class.  Especially if it 's at the Animal Shelter.  It's better to wait to see what's going to happen with this virus thing.  Take care.

Andi
Thanks Andi!...I feel like I am being anal but I just can't take the chance when there is so little known about what is going on with this virus...I hope it gets worked out...I don't want to make my guys live in envoirment controled glass kennels...lol!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:27:16 am »
I completely agree with you.  Everything I've read about this virus tells you to not take your dogs to places where there are lots of other dogs.  Good decision.  You are continuing the training at home....truly, home schooling! ;D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:33:32 am »
I completely agree with you.  Everything I've read about this virus tells you to not take your dogs to places where there are lots of other dogs.  Good decision.  You are continuing the training at home....truly, home schooling! ;D
But Pippin is so bummed he won't need his Hotwheels backpack or his Spiderman lunch box. :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 11:45:06 am »
Yeah, but you can have the neighbor dogs over and do a picnic in the back yard!  He'll be the hit of the "home-schooled"!

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:54:11 am »
See it they will let you audit the class without  having Pippin there. Most of the training is done to you, not the dog. Kendra's class was a fun way to socialize her, but I had to do 5 hours of homework with her for every hour we spent in the class.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:55:06 am »
Yeah, but you can have the neighbor dogs over and do a picnic in the back yard!  He'll be the hit of the "home-schooled"!
We can't have the neighbor dogs over...CANINE VIRUS remember? :P...lol...Poor Pippin! :D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 11:56:17 am »
Make 'em wear masks!  Just like they are doing for bird flu!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 11:58:06 am »
Make 'em wear masks!  Just like they are doing for bird flu!
there's an idea...can't you just picture me handing out masks to Pippin doggy guests as they arrive?..lol!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:26:19 pm »

My information is that this virus is an urban legend.

This is across all my dog lists.

I have heard nothing from anyone, and I am on lists where people go to dog shows ALL the time ALL over the country.

I have NUMEROUS contacts in FL, nothing is happening.

This should NOT keep you out of a puppy class. These people coming to puppy class do not go to dog shows etc where they would be likely to pick this up, and again,

NONE of my dog show friends have had ANY problems with this, and I am in contact with people nationwide on a daily basis.

Now get your butt to class.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 08:29:20 pm »
Dont kid yourself that this is urban legend!
did i read right that this is concerning the virus that is stemmed out from the horse>
i personally know several show people who had extensive vet bills, and their own vets had to send in samples so they can study this virus.
be careful out there!
it is getting scary when disease jumps species wich this one apears to be doing.
i also would caution puppy people, no touching noses, but what i understand is this is airborn
my own vet who was very sketptical now told me she is glad i did  not show at the local five day dog show in town, as i have two young pups here.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 08:37:10 pm »

My information was incorrect.

Here is the link about it.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogflu.asp

This still would not keep me out of puppy class. I do not think local puppies who do not attend dog shows etc will be flinging this virus around.

I do pay attention to these sorts of things, but I don't tend to panic, and it usually does not keep me away from dog shows, etc.

I still have not heard any first hand accounts of this from anyone, and until I do, I won't put a whole lot of stock in something that's making the rounds at dog tracks. They get some pretty weird stuff at those places.....

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 08:40:25 pm »
Ok, this has me thinking about the dog show I would like to do with Dixie Darlin in November.  Do you guys think it is save to take her to a local show in Mobile, Al. ?

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 08:47:42 pm »
Puppies and older dogs would be more suseptible if i spelled this correct and depending on your location, i would be cautious
if the pups come into class after a bunch of adults, some adults can be carriers and not show symptoms and pass this on to the pups.
i would be careful and talk to your local vet clinic and find out if any outbreaks have been seen.
so far by me, there is one suspected case.
where there is one, there will be more to follow
Long read, but interesting info for those attending shows or boarding dogs.

Canine Influenza Media Briefing

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t050926.htm

i do err on the side of caution
becouse of how my Hadley was lost.
until you experience a loss such as i did than it is hard to understand.
hadley was 18 months old, and in heat, we attended a ukc match, she contracted kennel cough, and even with the shot you get kennel cough, there are more and more strains and the vaccine only covers seven of twnety something out there.
due to haddie being in heat (of wich she was just coming in and it was early), she got kennel cough, wich turned into polymyosytis, wich killed her, a very fast acting muscle deteriorating disease, my sweet angel was gone in a matter of five months.
a most heartbreaking heartwrenching thing to go thru.
this is not to scare people, but a lesson learned on my part.
when girls cycle, their system is stressed, heat cycles can throw their system for a loop let alone picking up a sickness besides.
hadley story can be seen on my webiste.
harborwindsnew foundlands.hom estead.com
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 09:39:49 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505