Author Topic: Advice on Border Collies?  (Read 7620 times)

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Border Collies?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 06:14:06 pm »
You guys have definitely given me lots to think about!!  Thanks for all of the replies.  We weren't set out to find a puppy, we were hoping to either rescue an adult from an organization here in Ohio or find one on the internet on Petfinder.  I know how high energy they are, and I guess I thought that Sadie would get along well with that because she's high energy too.  I have had my fill of destructivenes s for the time being, though.  Making this decision is so hard, because we do want another dog as a companion for her.  I don't want another escape artist, or someone to help her excavate the back yard.  I really had my heart set on a Bernese Mountain Dog, but I've read on here that they have some serious health issues.  I am willing to wait until Sadie is a little order, no problem and I thank you Jackie for that recommendation .  I want what is best for Sadie too, and no other dog will even come close to being as near to my heart as she is.  I can't believe I just said that!! LOL  I guess we'll just sit back and wait until the time is right for her to have a friend. 
Rachel 

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 06:17:24 pm »
I love Border Collies, BUT they are a handful or two lol. I fostered one a few years back. He was extremely timid and shy and didnt even play when he came because he had been tied up in a mud room his whole life and the few times he was taken for a walk by the old man who owned him, he got beat by a cane when he tried to play because the old man just couldnt handle him if he was not "crawling" next to him.

Having said that, I agree with most people here. They are very trainable and extremely intelligent, unfortunatelly if they dont get to use not only the body for physical excercise, but work with the head too, they will very soon come up with " work" on their own, and usually that is the kind of work you dont want to have done in your home, the random remodeling or the "let's see if this baseboard can be torn off"

Border Collies are up to todays date bred more or less only on their workability, not on color or other certain conformation preferences. So the work willingness is deep in their blood.

If you have the time and energy to work with one, I think they make a wonderful partner, but if not, they can turn into real terrors.

I dont know the numbers here, but in Sweden the most common cause of death for the BC's (the once that are premature) are Border Collies that are bored and decide that it is a great idea to heard cars, that is usually a loosing game.

Mind you if you have a couple of acres and get yourself a few goats he will be fine lol.....

I hope you find the right companion to your baby

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 06:44:28 pm »
Oh my GOSH! Why didn't I think of this earlier??

I have a border collie mix foster dog right now! She is actually a hurricane Katrina evacuee. Her owners lost their home in the storm, moved to Houma, but couldn't (actually wouldn't) keep the dogs in their rental trailer. We even offered to foster them long-term until they could find better living arrangements, but they just wanted to find them new homes.

I placed Boo Boo's sister this weekend and have Boo Boo at my house. She is about a year to 1 1/2 old, housebroken, VERY friendly, EXCELLENT in the house - plays a while then lies down when told, chills next to the bed all night. She is completely black with a slight white beard (looks like 5 o'clock shadow), little curls on the ends of her fur - possibly mixed with some spaniel?

Anyway, her only negatives are that when you get out the leash and/or harness, she goes NUTS!! and jumps, etc. so it's hard to get it on - a simple obedience issue. She knows sit and will do it, but is so excited it doesn't last long. At her last foster home, she was getting out of their fence and running around the neighborhood, but they couldn't figure out how she was getting out 'cause none of the other dogs got out. It was chain link so she may have been climbing.

She also still needs to be spayed, but that's included in the adoption fee of $150.00 (plus transportation costs if necessary). If you're interested, I'll get you some pictures.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain