Author Topic: Wrong Pedigee  (Read 5404 times)

Kiahpyr

Wrong Pedigee
« on: May 06, 2006, 03:09:26 am »
I just got a letter from the akc stating that Kiah's pedigree is wrong. There was a dna test done on a dog in her line. It turns out that the dna test was wrong or that whoever had the dog turned in the wrong sample. It's under investigation.

For those of you who don't know I thought about showing Kiah. Due to various reasons I decided not to and got her spayed. This document says that if I showed her all her titles would have been taken away. Also the pups would not have been registerable. This is very dissapointing to me. I don't know where my baby came from. :( I do know that it wasn't one of her breeders dogs or the breeders fault. I was like just uh, how can this happen? It's hard to express how I feel. Hopefully this will get resolved soon. I love my baby no matter what happens.   

Offline mariannawoof

• Ankle Biter
  • gotta love the kisses
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Pedigee
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 03:40:08 am »
 :-[  Wow, I'm so sorry...thank god you had decided not to show her or have puppies... could it just be a typo??? 

I understand your feelings in a different kind of way....when I received Duffy his testicles had not descended and he had to be neutered....an d had I wanted to show him or have puppies...it wouldn't have worked out....so I was fortunate that Duffy came to me...

But of course you will love your baby just the same.... its great that they are investigating it...it could just be a very small mistake... you know?  I hope it all works out...chin up...atleast you still have your baby.

xoxo marianna
Hugs & wags -
Marianna, Riley & Duffy

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:24:34 am »
I haven't been here long enough to know enough about everyone's back stories..  so I don't know if your breeder was excellent or not..
I have heard of breeder's falsifying paers though, ie using the same stud for more litters than the akc allows without dna testing, and therefore fudging paperwork, and having messes like this occur when someone gets suspicious and dna tests..
But, it could always be an oops over samples.
I would be so so so upset though if I had showed a dog to even part of a title and been told it doesn't count though.  Wow.
I know you'll love your furbaby either way, and it isn't her fault, but I'd be pretty sketched out over the situation though.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:45 am »
Oh April I am so sorry. Do you know where the error was made, was it with your breeder or someone else in the lines?

You can think about getting another show pyr ;) ;) ;) I know I'm being bad.  I just want more of my pals in the show ring. Just think we could meet at Pyr Nationals.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:48:28 pm »
Oh April!...No matter where the mistake was made you still have your lovely Kiah!...Sam has no pedigree on paper at all...& he is still 10 times worth ever purebred, akc registered, from France with love Pyr that ever lived!!! :D ;D It doesn't matter that I know where Sam came from because that isn't an issue with Sammy Whammy!!... Sam knows who he is & that's all that really matters! ;) :-* :)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 05:33:02 pm »
Have you contacted the breeder?  How far is it down the lines?  Honestly, I know it is more of you paid a certain amount thinking you are getting one thing when it is infact another but everything happens for a reason and I wouldnt worry about it too much...Kiah is with you for a certain reason, papers correct or incorrect :)
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 07:25:47 pm »
Sorry to hear your dog has a DNA problem. This really is not that uncommon. I'm sure with the DNA program becoming common and some breed clubs requiring it you will see it more and more.

A friend of mine just got word after 8 months of waiting that his dogs DNA has finally been figured out...well atleast they found a dog they could not eliminate since that's how the DNA works.
In his situation the bitch was sent away for breeding and bred twice to the stud they planned on using. They guess when they  brought her home is when she really went into standing heat and she stood for another male in their kennel. In the end the dogs pedigree ended up nicer then it first was in my eyes..lol

The whole thing was a very big PITA for my friend since he had to place the dogs shows, hunt, and health tests on hold but atleast it was figured out.

You should contact the breeder and ask how she/he plans on handling this. I'm sure they will try to solve the problem unless this litter was a one time deal for them.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 10:36:22 pm »
Honestly, I know it is more of you paid a certain amount thinking you are getting one thing when it is infact another
I got to thinking about that this morning...That would agitate me too...Hopefull y it is an honest & simple mistake. :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 10:53:46 pm »
Honestly, I know it is more of you paid a certain amount thinking you are getting one thing when it is infact another
I got to thinking about that this morning...That would agitate me too...Hopefull y it is an honest & simple mistake. :)
I figure its the same as buying a non AKC purebred...the refore if the problem is never fixed you should be entitled to what the cost difference. I'm sure Non-papered puppies go for less then the papered ones, atleast in my breed they do. If you planned on showing and breeding is a non factor in my eyes.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 11:12:58 pm »
It's not even just the papered versus non papered.  If the screw up ends up proving that the dog came from 'less good' lines, ends up with different genetics like the sire's hips don't meet OFA guidelines, whatever so the dog could never be a show prospect..
Then you paid for a papered dog with show potential which would be an awful lot more in some cases, that a pet dog with papers, or depending upon how it turns out a pet dog with no papers.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 01:47:40 am »
Man, what a confusing thing to be dealing with! Sorry, April!
Hopefully you will find out your dog's true lineage and then at least know for sure. I wonder if this kind of thing goes on all the time? Wow... DNA testing... crazy stuff!!!

We love Kiah no matter what!!! :-*

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 01:57:11 am »
I just got off of the phone with Kiah's breeder. It's Kiah's grandpa that's in question and his line. They only do dna samples on the males. She is totally distraught over this! Now she has send in all her paperwork and more dna samples. She says it's a mistake on akc's part. This has the potential of ruining her reputation that she's worked 19 years on. I really respect(ed) this breeder. She said she witnessed the breeding herself. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 12:50:30 am »
What a pain in the bum!

Kiahpyr

Re: Wrong Pedigee Update
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 12:59:23 am »
I got a phone call from the breeder this morning. She said that the akc has Kiah's dna on file. WTF? I never sent it in and either did she. That's what they compared the other sample to. Something is royally screwed up here. The akc doesn't require female samples, only the males. I'm so confused!!!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 01:07:35 am »
Think you can voluntarily send in femme dna.  But if you didn't, they accidentally are compairing to a different dog's dna..