Author Topic: How can we help save Spencer??  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
How can we help save Spencer??
« on: June 03, 2006, 02:00:48 pm »
I'm so upset after reading a story in the local news here in Mobile, Alabama. :'(
Here's the link:  http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1149326299170910.xml&coll=3#continue
It doesn't include a picture of Spencer in the link, but he really only looks like a puppy.  I, myself, have been leary of pitbulls because of all of the attacks that I have seen at my hospital, but those all had very bad histories behind these attacks.  I just don't agree with putting a dog down just because of it's breed.
Is there anything that anyone knows of that we can do about this??? :'(
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: How can we help save Spencer??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 02:03:31 pm »
Try calling the station and find out if anyone can give you any info.....

I'm just about to go to their website to see about it.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 02:25:12 pm »
Tried the website.  I called their number but the only line that is open is for requests, and no one is answering.  I went ahead and sent an e-mail to the person named in the article that is trying to help.  Hopefully, I will get a response before it is too late.

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 02:39:24 pm »
I think it is wonderful that you are trying to save him, but I wouldn't feel bad about your efforts if you can't save Spencer.  It sounds like he is in the middle of 'Deliverance'.  These people, from what I gathered from that article, don't sound entirely evolved...
 >:( :'(

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 03:04:39 pm »
"He said putting abandoned pit bulls to death if they are not claimed by their owners is a nationwide policy, not just a rule made up by the Animal Shelter."   ???

Exactly what do they mean by "nationwide? because you can go to the shelters here any day of the week and literally find hundreds of them up for adoption.  I'm pretty sure we're part of the nation.   ::)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 04:07:48 pm »
If by "Nationwide Plicy" he means it is up to the decision of whoever is in charge at each shelter, maybe, because I know it depends on what shelter you go to around here whether they will have pitts available for adoption, or whether they put them down immediately.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:59:43 pm »
We have a few shelters in our area as well that will not adopt out Pitties/Bully Breeds/whatever they think the dog might be.  However, rescues can pull them here if they provide paperwork.  I'm emailing this article to a Bully Breed rescue coordinator in our area to see if she might be able to help at all. 

Thank you for forwarding this.  I just feel like I have to try to do something.

I just wish that I had a photo of this little guy.  He doesn't look like he would hurt a flea.  More of the story that I heard was that he was so skinny that he had worked his way between the rails of a wrought iron fence because he smelled the family barbequing.  He has shown no aggression toward anyone or any of the other dogs at the shelter.  There are some people who have stepped forward to adopt him, but aren't being allowed, no matter what the circumstances. :(  I just wish that the family who found him (or rather the family that he found :)) had taken him to the Arfanage here, not our city's Animal Control. :'(

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 08:41:58 pm »
How difficult would it be for someone to claim he was theirs, and pay the fees for having him running loose, maybe unlicensed, or whatever they would ticket them for? Just to get him out of there?

Weedsport, NY

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 08:48:49 pm »
How difficult would it be for someone to claim he was theirs, and pay the fees for having him running loose, maybe unlicensed, or whatever they would ticket them for? Just to get him out of there?
I don't know, but that crossed my mind also! :D
I have another post about this asking how to start an on-line petition.  Let me know if you have any info about that. Thanks

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 06:55:00 pm »
i talked to cherish she happens to be a friend of my sisters (girl with the radio station)  and she said that if owner comes to collect the dog could be arrested for animal cruelty
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 09:21:29 pm »
i talked to cherish she happens to be a friend of my sisters (girl with the radio station)  and she said that if owner comes to collect the dog could be arrested for animal cruelty
Makes sense.  So I'm sure that no one will claim him (although getting arrested for animal cruelty around here is about as much punishment as a slap on the wrist >:()

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 10:04:35 pm »
Makes sense.  So I'm sure that no one will claim him (although getting arrested for animal cruelty around here is about as much punishment as a slap on the wrist >:()
::sobbing::  OMG I just saw my beloved Fluffy on (wherever the dog is posted)he was stolen out of my car 6 months ago and I thought I would never see him again.  OMG  ::sob sob:: I want to press full charges against the MONSTER who stole Fluffy and then hurt him!
::sob::

;D