Author Topic: I lost my job today.  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
I lost my job today.
« on: July 28, 2005, 08:21:00 am »
I pull up to my work and I see one of the boss's trucks is there.  I think to myself, that's weird, he wasn't supposed to be in today.  I go inside, and he's standing there with an evelope.  He comes up to me and says "I have to give you this check" so I'm thinking it's something good.  Then he says "It's just not working out.  Nothing personal we just have to let you go."  What?  What did I do?  "You didn't do anything, we're not firing you, we're laying you off (Like ther's a difference).  It's nothing personal don't feel bad (Of course it isn't personal for you, you aren't the one losing your job)."  There was no warning, as far as I know things were going great.  When I left yesterday my other boss was giving me things to do for today. 

I'm just floored, I feel like such a failure.  I can't go on my trip now because I don't have the money for it.  At least this happened before I spent all the money.  I don't know what I'm going to do.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Icerotti

Re: I lost my job today.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:23:09 am »
Oh Ang, I am so sorry to hear this. It seems so out of the blue. I wish you all the best.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:29:58 am »
That would be a shock.  I'm sorry to hear that...I'm sure something will come up.  But don't feel like a failure...I'm sure it's nothing you did.  it happens to all of us.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 08:30:47 am »
Oh, NO!!! What line of work are you in? Where do you live? That's so horrible. Well, at least you have all day to bury your face in your doggie's neck. That's what I would do. Tomorrow is another day and I know you'll find the strength to get back out there.

I can't go on vacation this year, either. We could have scaped the money together, but hubby wants to use it to fix up the house a little instead. I'm still taking my week off, though!

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 08:33:36 am »
Hey look at it as an opportunity! an opportunity to find a better job! A little time off.. You'll be fine! You have to look at the bright side of things ok?!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 08:36:54 am »
Oh no! I am so sorry Ang!! Don't feel like a failure or like it was your fault. It sounds as if this is something they have been planning for a while. Bosses suck! I got "not rehired after my probationary year" at a job a few years ago and cried for days. After letting it sink in though and understanding it was a political game though, I realized that it was not my fault at alll. No matter how good the job was that I was doing it was not in the stars for me to remain there. At least you got your check first thing in the morning...I got mine after lunch. Great timing huh?
Anyways, let us know what you need to ease your pain a bit. We are here for you and will help in anyway that we can!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 08:38:06 am »
I was a project administator for a Construction company.  Pretty much I cordinated materials and man power for jobs and kept track of them.  I live in Southern New Hampshire where there really isn't very much work right now.  Relocating isn't an option. 

The biggest thing for me is with them not giving me a reason I keep thinking it's something I did.  That it's something I'm going to repeat in the future and it scares the crap out of me.  It's just so weird that it was out of no where.  When I think of all the times I went out to eat and like buying expensive toilet paper VS the sandpaper stuff it makes me ill.  I'll be leaving shortly to buy a newspaper and go through the want ads. :-\

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 08:39:25 am »
The construction business is so up and down ... especially with this market.  I see it all the time in this business.  I know it's not a big help...but something will come up when you least expect it.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 08:40:08 am »
Ang - So sorry!!!!...But maybe you had to lose this job in order for a better one to com eyour way....
Timmie

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 08:41:10 am »
I totally understand your concerns, Anky. Why don't you give it a day or two then call your boss again and calmly explain those same concerns to him. Tell him that you really enjoyed your position and thought you were doing a good job and that you would really like to apply for a similar position with another company. Then ask if there was anything he thought you could have improved on and feel free to ask him if he can give you a referral letter to take with you on interviews and if he knows of any other positions open in other construction companies or something similar. These guys may be competitors, but they all know each other - and if they are good - they know what's going on in each other's company as well.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 08:43:20 am »
I think I'm just gonna get skinny and be a stripper.

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 08:43:26 am »
Sounds like really good advice from jjfritsche.
When you leav take ALL the toilet paper with you.. Just kidding..just trying to make you laugh. ;)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 09:06:54 am »
I have several on-line stores.  On one other board I am on the same thing happed to a lady. So she got another job but also started up selling on e-bay. then she open a on-line site. To make a long story short within a year she had quit the second job and had 3 employees of her on that each work out of there own home.  Mabye with the skills you have you could start your own business.  The best thing about being your own boss is you can take your babies to work with you.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:31:37 am »
One door closes & another door opens. Things have a way of working itself out. Good luck.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 09:33:52 am »
Oh Ang, I am really really sorry for you!...Take today...take deep breaths, try to relax...Take a nice bubble bath, do your nails, make something to eat that you really enjoy & maybe read a good book...Spend extra time with the pooch...Spend extra time at B.P.'s! :)...Then tomorrow start your job hunt when you are fresh & have gotten over the worst part of the shock...That does sound wierd too...Your boss really could have told you exactly why it wasn't working out...no fair to leave you wondering...Ma ybe he had a relative or friend that he gave your job to?...I usually try not to think on such suspicious levels but I agree with you...It seems pretty strange!...Good luck & we are all here for you!