Author Topic: Dog Park Blues  (Read 8482 times)

Yaz

Re: Dog Park Blues
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 06:24:06 am »
Thanks for all the support and insights - it's replies like these that make this forum as useful and wonderful as it is. I've calmed down a fair bit after reading about other people's experiences with their dogs and am will be buying a squirt bottle to bring with me this evening! I think it's wonderful that some people have such well-run dog parks, as ultimately, it's the owners not the dogs that can make or break a park. I will continue to visit the various dog parks in my city and, with my trusty squirt bottle at my side, will take a stand for big dogs everywhere!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 09:45:12 am »
Good for you Yaz!!...I hope you are able to find a pleasant dog park for your darling pup!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 01:17:29 pm »
Tim and I visited many dog parks, to find one that fit us and our dogs. We found one and love it, the people are nice and not snooty, many mixed breeds as well as pure bred and if the park is busy, the bigs dongs are on one side and the little are on the other. Ours are not off lease yet, as we are training them to be off leash, it is coming along well. And I have noticed that they are so much more well behaved now that we visit the park every weekend. When they are inthey car they don't bark at dogs they see(very nice for our ears!)

The park that we go to is regulated by the government and bylaws, and it works. No poop anywhere in the park, if you are caught no picking up the poop it is a $150 fine, if your dog attacks another dog, $500 fine, if your dog is not registered or have its rabis vaccine another fine, not sure how much. But this seems to work.
Maybe try and contact you local gov and see if there is somthing that can be done, like a provincial park with fines for this type of agressive dog  behaviour??
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 04:00:22 pm »
I think that this site is wonderful for any one who is taking their dog to an off leash area

http://goodpooch.com/ISSUES/learndogbehaviour.htm

On the water bottle side of things, I think it is a great idea for inapropriate behaviours at the park, however this method would be looked down apon at my park (we are more concerned about educating owners about off leash ettiquette) and all offer help to correct behaviour issues. Just be sure that you will not step on any toes and in turn have an even worse experience at the park. Anyway, I am off to the park! I am going to bring the camera to get some pics of my guys at the park!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 06:19:23 pm »
Some pics of the park tonight!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey