Author Topic: My boxers first heat question  (Read 6822 times)

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
My boxers first heat question
« on: July 26, 2005, 03:25:10 pm »
Hello, I have a two and a half year old chihuahua male who is not fixed and a 11 WK OLD BOXER FEMALE WHO IS ALSO NOT FIXED.  I dont want to alter either one of them. He wont be able to get her preg will he. If so what will i do with them. Of course she will be wearing the heat panty things. is that okay
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
Re: My boxers first heat question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 03:26:16 pm »
I MEAN BY DO WITH THEM THE TWO DOGS BUT WILL THE PANTIES WORK.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 03:33:51 pm »
Do you plan to show and or breed both of the dogs?  It is my understanding with a male dog if there is a female in heat he will find a way to get to her. I have been told that even though I have a five foot fence that I shoudl not let my little girl out alone when she is in heat.  They have been know to mate through a fence.  I would not let them be together even with the panties on. I am sure the would find a way to pull them off of her.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 03:41:27 pm »
I really don't know.... I am no expert what-so-ever, but I am afraid that if your chi is determined, those panties are history. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:43:32 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 04:14:31 pm »
Dixie...... That is what I have heard too, that they have been known to breed through a chain link fence, have had a female lay down and the male get her pregnant, males get on a table or chair to reach. There is just no stopping to them, their drive is soooo strong.

Some of you might remember that I some time ago told that Hera my Bullmastiff girl might have been bred by a mutt dog. We have a more than 7 foot privacy fence around the whole back yard, a gate that is as tall, but this dog dug his way in under the gates where our drive way goes. I heard noices from outside and saw this dog in the yard with Hera, she had not been out long, and we got her in straight away, but we did not know if they had managed to breed or not. Thankfully she was not pregnant. But I thought we were safe with the fence we had, I learnt a very valuble lessong.

When I had and bred danes, I had both male and female unaltered. Zorro could not be at home, my parents babysat him when Hanna was in heat. Both to be on the safe side and also because he was howling hysterically all night through when a female in the house was in heat.

If you are not planning on breeding or showing, I would maybe re concider altering them, but if you want to do either well I would separate them during her heat.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 05:31:40 pm »
Hello, I have a two and a half year old chihuahua male who is not fixed and a 11 WK OLD BOXER FEMALE WHO IS ALSO NOT FIXED.  I dont want to alter either one of them. He wont be able to get her preg will he. If so what will i do with them. Of course she will be wearing the heat panty things. is that okay

Yes, he can and will breed her if he gets any chance. Mother nature has a way of making these things work out.

No, the panties will not keep him from breeding her.

Yes, you really SHOULD alter both dogs. Breeding is a risk of your bitch's life every time you choose to do it. Pets make better pets and live longer healthier lives if they are altered.

Particularly for bitches, since altering before the first season practically eliminates the chances of breast cancer later in life, and of course the reproductive diseases are gone. Intact bitches are always at risk of Pyometra, a life threatening uterine infection. The older an intact bitch gets, the greater the risk. Many times surgery is not enough to save the lives of a bitch who has this terrible infection in her uterus.

Do the right thing.

Get your pup spayed around 6 to 7 months of age, and no more accidental breeding or other reproductive worries.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 07:43:26 pm »
Thank all of you for your information AND OPPINIONS. I am not showing her at all. I will indeed separate them. I know that spading is the best way to go. Thank you for all your help. I could very well separate them by sending him to my mother in laws. Thank you for all your help. 

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 08:58:42 pm »
So let me get this straight.

It is not ok for me to advocate on this board responsible breeding and spay/neuter practices?

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 05:03:57 am »
Thank you for that wonderful post but I didnt mean to upset redyer. I am glad that you gave me the chocie. See if I was to Neuter the male chihuahua he would gain to much weight   he is 2 yrs old and he weights 4 pounds. KINDA WOULD BE ROUGH ON HIM. I dont want Dixie to get fat either. I dont plan on any breeding so letts get that straight. I was just asking if the panty things would work. I still respect any info givien to me. I dont want to cause a problem.  I very much agree with K9 approch to the situation. Knowledge is the first step to any process. I also understand redyer for getting the word out there.  I am a good owner and take very good care of my dogs.  I like to have choices. I gotta go to work girls thanks again and dont fight on my behave. Take care ~beth~

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 05:07:23 am »
also what can i expect with her first heat. I never had FEMALE DOGS.  Behavior, the actually mess that comes along with it. what will i need to do. How will she feel. I know I will have to be with her every minute.  I still might spay her just wanty the info. doing my homework   i gotta go im gonna be late lol

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 05:59:16 am »
Thank you for that wonderful post but I didnt mean to upset redyer. I am glad that you gave me the chocie. See if I was to Neuter the male chihuahua he would gain to much weight   he is 2 yrs old and he weights 4 pounds. KINDA WOULD BE ROUGH ON HIM. I dont want Dixie to get fat either. I dont plan on any breeding so letts get that straight. I was just asking if the panty things would work. I still respect any info givien to me. I dont want to cause a problem.  I very much agree with K9 approch to the situation. Knowledge is the first step to any process. I also understand redyer for getting the word out there.  I am a good owner and take very good care of my dogs.  I like to have choices. I gotta go to work girls thanks again and dont fight on my behave. Take care ~beth~

Altering animals does not cause weight gain. Too much food and not enough exercise causes weight gain.

Many people are under the mistaken impression that altered animals gain weight, and many times they do, but it has nothing to do with the altering. Spay/Neuter often coincides with the end of the rapid growth period in dogs and cats as well. If food is not reduced at around 8 months of age for most dogs, sometimes earlier for toys, then that dog will gain weight, as it does not need as much food after rapid growth is done.

As an example, during rapid growth my puppy was eating about 20% more food in a day than my adult girls, even tho her actual size and body weight was less.

Now that she is 11 months old, had I not reduced her food intake, she would become overweight.

Neutering is a SIMPLE, fairly non invasive surgery, and most dogs recover very quickly. The size of your toy dog may be of a slight concern, and of course there is always a risk when you are putting any animal under anesthesia.

As far as what to expect during her first season,

1) mess. Most bitches will not wear the pants, they will tear them off and destroy them. Particularly puppies. There is also that certain dead blood smell that goes with a bitch in season.

2) noise. From both of your dogs. Your male will likely scratch from behind any barrier separating him from the bitch, and many dogs will scream, whine, cry, mark with urine, etc. You can expect much of the same from the bitch.

3) Logistical issues with keeping them separated. The drive to reproduce is a very strong one. Dogs can and will go to unbeliveable measures to get to a bitch in season. Dogs can (and have) bred through chain link fence, etc. Expect them to try CONSTANTLY to get to each other.

4) Your chi will learn exactly what a bitch in heat smells like, and he may be more likely to try to escape the seek them out. Many dogs mark more as well when they are living with a bitch in season.

5) Suitors from around your neighborhood. Dogs can smell a bitch in heat from miles away. They will camp out on your doorstep until she is out of season. Expect them to dig inside your fence if you have one, and they will be waiting on you each time you step out your door with her.

6) Learn the signs of pyometra, the serious uterine infection that intact bitches are always subject to. It can happen on the first season, or at any one thereafter. It's not highly likely in young bitches, but I know of people firsthand that it has happened to. If it's not promptly recognized and treated, your bitch can die even after surgery to SPAY her, which is the only real treatment.

Pyo symptoms can include the following:

OPEN pyo (cervix is open....this form is easier to diagnose, and has a slightly better survival rate than a closed pyo which I will describe next)

Foul discharge
Possible off food
Higher water consumption

CLOSED PYO, where the cervix is NOT open is MUCH more dangerous. Pay close attention to your girl in the 30 days post season every time.

Any unexplained abdominal distention, excessive consumption of water, lethargy, fever, she should be examined immediately by your veterinarian.

ANY pyometra is an immediate life threatening event, and emergency surgery is usually performed.

Bitches in heat should be confined away from all other intact male dogs for 30 days. When you think her season is over (inside 30 days) is the most likely time for an accidental breeding to happen.  You must keep her absolutely away from all intact males for 30 days from the beginning of each season.

Most bitches cycle about every 6 months. I have had those who come in every 5 mos, or even every 4 months. That makes it 3X per year. Happy happy joy joy. LOL

I am an experienced dog owner, I have shown dogs for quite some time both in the breed and the working rings, and I have ONLY bitches because of the extreme difficulty in keeping intact dogs and bitches separated during heat seasons.

I hope this is enough of an explanation for you, and if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

FOR THE RECORD, very few dogs should be used for breeding, breeding is always a risk of your bitch's life, and my personal opinion is that any dog of either sex not regularly used at for breeding should be neutered. This removes this frustration from their lives, they no longer have to think about reproduction, and I have found that this makes them MUCH better pets.

The ONLY animals I ever keep intact are those I am actively showing or planning to breed.

When my bitches are finished with breeding after 1 or 2 litters, they are ALWAYS spayed for their health.

One other recommendation would be to speak to your own veterinarian about the benefits of S/N for your pets, and also to visit your county shelter and find out how many dogs and cats are put to death each week in your area. I bet you would be surprised.....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 06:01:40 am by RedyreRottweilers »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 09:16:09 am »
A man I know who has a beautiful black lab just went through her first heat. He tried the diaper thingy and found it to be a waste of money. His bitch could get the thing off in two seconds, and would everytime she was out of his sight. This was without the help of an intact male! On a side note, he has been working with her breeder and plans on finishing her in the show ring and breeding her IF she develops into a worthy bitch for breeding, this is why she is not spayed.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 10:42:39 am »
Excellent point, Jenn.

My middle girl, who is elbow dysplastic, was spayed at around 15 months.

She had 2 seasons before she was spayed.

After the second season she had one of the worst false pregs I have ever lived through.

I noticed it when she was hiding under the table on my screened porch and forbidding my other 2 dogs to come in. She was "guarding" her den and her "puppies" which were 4 toys she had scrounged up from the exercise yard.

I had to completely take out the table because she was cruising for a real fight with my older bitch, who was also intact at the time.

It was a dicey situation because of the animosity it created between these two bitches, and it was a terribly frustrating and confusing time for the bitch.

She whined, and paced almost constantly for about 10 days before it finally dissipated.

Many bitches will look SO pregnant you may be mistaken into thinking they were accidentally bred. They will gain weight and abdominal girth, bag up, make milk, some even go through a minor false labor.

Just let me say I was glad the cards did not turn out to keep this girl intact and I was able to spay her fairly early.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 10:55:27 am »
Hi Red,   I have a 6 1/2 month little girl Pyr. I plan to show her so I have not had her spayed. What is the best book to get on breeding? I will not even consider breeding her until after she is 2yrs and had every test done I can think of.  I also want to see what her adult personality will be like. By learing all I can about breeding I will make a better choice when the time comes.  I also need to know as much as I can before her first heat cycle.  I am checking her every day for blood discharge and swelling.  Thanks for any advice.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 10:57:57 am »
wow that is really scary. Both my dogs are S/N, my cat was 2 when she was spayed and ley me tell you it was not fun going through her heat cycles, she howled and howled and she sprayed, not fun. I could not get her fixed fast enough. ANd she was very agressive towards other animals and was turning aggressive to people. Now she is as sweet as can be.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)