Author Topic: Tonka is sick  (Read 18046 times)

Icerotti

Re: Tonka is sick
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 11:51:09 am »
Has he been eating grass outside b/c of his upset tummy?

Is your vet avaiable today with an emergency number? Could you give him a call? See what he thinks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:54:44 am by Icerotti »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 11:56:12 am »
I did see some yesterday when he first started throwing up, but since he has not been outside except to potty and then I make him come right back in.
He is throwing up, like, bile...probabl y cuz his stomach is empty....but how much longer do I let this go on? 
Should I just not offer him any food at all today??   Maybe just give his tummy the time off it needs? 
My poor baby Tonka!!   :'(
I am kind of a big deal!

Icerotti

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 12:03:58 pm »
I did see some yesterday when he first started throwing up, but since he has not been outside except to potty and then I make him come right back in.
He is throwing up, like, bile...probabl y cuz his stomach is empty....but how much longer do I let this go on? 
Should I just not offer him any food at all today??   Maybe just give his tummy the time off it needs? 
My poor baby Tonka!!   :'(

I have been looking online for some answers. I found one link I hope it is helpful.http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/1224/vomit.html

Is he able to have a BM? I know when Farley had what we later learned was a blockage from a sock he ate he was throwing up just  yellow bile and could not hold water down/or eat. He did have a small BM. Then he passed the sock with a BM.

You know Tonka best if he really seems not himself etc. Then it would be best to contact at vet. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

I hope he feels better soon. Poor Tonka :'(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 12:07:08 pm by Icerotti »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 12:07:12 pm »
Stacey, Have you checked Tonka's stools for blood?...What color are his gumes?...Are they pale?...I am wondering if he might have whipworm?

doggylover

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 12:10:42 pm »
I think maybe you ought to take him to the er vet.  That doesn't sound good to me.  ??? :'(

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 12:18:29 pm »
I think maybe you ought to take him to the er vet.  That doesn't sound good to me.  ??? :'(
I think I agree...Someth ing just doesn't "feel" right here...

Icerotti

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 12:22:05 pm »
I think I agree...Someth ing just doesn't "feel" right here...

I agree as well.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 01:40:40 pm »

I agree...keepin g my fingers crossed all is well.

Icerotti

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 02:30:43 pm »
Any updates?  What you are describing, sounds exactly like when Atticus has his obstruction.  I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

I was starting to think that too liz...
I hope Tonka is ok.....keeping our paws and fingers crossed here

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 03:14:41 pm »
He seems to be doing a little better, he is getting up more and a little more upbeat.  I am not offering food or water right now.  He hasn't pooped today,  but he hasnt eaten since yesterday morning either...so I don't know.
He has no temp and the vet said his gums look good and pink and he felt his belly, there is no discomfort when he is pushed on and the dr could not feel anything to be concerned about.
He says he really thinks it is the food and to give him one more day with NO water/food until he has not thrown up for at least 12 hours.
If it continues with no food and no water to have him seen again....
my poor Tonka!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 03:46:25 pm »
another question:
is it okay that he is going this long without eating? 
I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 03:55:54 pm »
another question:
is it okay that he is going this long without eating? 
Dogs can go several days without food.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 04:00:28 pm »
okay thanks!  Rationally, I know these things..but its like one of my kids being sick, reason and rational thought just go out the window and I really appreciate the reassurance.

Do you think it is okay to give him mineral oil to see if he will poop, or should I just wait and see?
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 06:00:04 pm »
Mineral oil is bad.

It is one of the nastiest laxatives you can use.  A dog can't get rid of it and it stays a toxin in their body.  Pumpkin works both ways for firming up liquid poop and moving a constipated dog.

I hope your furbaby is okay.  :(
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

doggylover

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 06:02:51 pm »
Yeah, I would try a little pumpkin.  That stuff works miracles!!! Who knows maybe you'll get a little 'holy poop'
Heh
You might try tempting him with a little fruit if he won't drink water.  Fruit is mostly water.
 :D