Author Topic: Stolen dogs in Memphis  (Read 3232 times)

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Stolen dogs in Memphis
« on: November 04, 2006, 08:00:04 am »
Two curly coated retrievers were stolen yesterday in Memphis. They are a liver female (Desi), and a black male (Thriller). Anyone in the area please keep your eyes open for them.

This what the owner has to say: It is with a heavy heart I must to all my curly friends that Desi and Thriller have been stolen from my back yard. I hope they will be returned for the reward but I am no very optimistic since the latest trend in Memphis is to steal pet dogs while folks are at work and use them for bait dogs for pit bull fighting. The theives were unable to get Surge as he does what Surge does best, Run off. He returned home about 1200 noon the other two have not been seen.

This is his website so you can know what to look for: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=234839&ck=

I pray that these dogs may be recovered.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 08:02:57 am by traklover »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Stolen dogs in Memphis
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:39:57 am »
I hope they are wrong about what happened to them  :'(  I too will pray that they are recovered.
Daphne

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:52:16 pm »
The dogs were definately stolen or at best attempted (and if it was only attempt, why did only one return). Someone kicked in his fence to get the dogs out, Friday morning. So this was no accidental release of the dogs or canine escape artists at work. The owner is a member of the police dept, so you know his fellow officers are also keeping their eyes open. It is expected that a reward will be offered, and the CCRA is trying to get the media involved. Right now the more people that know in that area, the better the chance the dogs will be recovered.

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:26 pm »
Here is a message regarding the missing dogs from the president of the Curly Coated Retriever Club of America.

"I have talked to Dennis:  The reason he knows that the dogs were actually stolen is that the fence was kicked in from outside the yard.  Surge managed to run off, but Desi and Thriller were taken.

The worst problem is that it is known in Law Enforcement circles that a series of dog thefts has occurred in the Memphis area with the dogs being used as bait dogs for dog fighters.  In Tenn. the MAX punishment for dog fighting is less than one year in jail, a misdemeanor.  That is the huge concern here.

As President I am going to offer, from the CCRCA, a reward for the safe return of the dogs.  I am contacting another source, but I hope to match five hundred dollars from the CCRCA with other funds for at least a thousand dollars.  After all, most of the thieves and their associates will off Grandma for a thousand dollars!  I understand that Memphis Crimestoppers will also offer an additional reward for information leading to prosecution.

Dennis has also said that the Director of the Memphis PD and the Mayor of Memphis have offered to hold a press conference on Monday to try and secure the return of the dogs.  I am hoping to pull some backing from other national groups on this to support the PDs efforts.  I feel we can also use this to start putting pressure on Memphis and Tennessee at large to enhance penalties and pursue prosecution of dog fighters and those supporting the fights.

Please everyone, I have David working on it but if you can donate to the effort, I think we will be able to accept donations by Paypal.  If the funds (God forbid) are NOT used, we will forward them on, probably into the Roc fund, to be available should this ever happen again.  I also ask anyone and everyone to check with contacts in Tennessee to try and find the dogs.  Further, send e-mails of support to the Police and Mayor of Memphis for their efforts in this case.  Their names and e-mails are:

Hon. Dr. Willie Herenton, Mayor, Memphis, Tennessee     mayor@memphistn.gov
Larry A. Godwin, Director, Memphis Police Department    mpd@memphispolice.org

Everyone please step forward and do what you can; e-mails, phone calls, looking for info on the dogs, etc.  THIS COULD HAVE BEEN ANY OF OUR CURLIES:  THIS COULD HAVE BEEN ANY OF US.  Theft of dogs, and the crimes around dogfighting, are a threat to us all.

Thanks and we will keep everyone posted.

AND PLEASE...not only is permission granted to cross post, but PLEASE CROSS POST!

Jim Crosby, President, CCRCA"

From the sounds of it these could have been anyone's and breed of dog taken. The more people especially in that area who know about the missing dogs the better their chances. Please keep these dogs in your thoughts and prayers.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 04:09:53 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

We are praying for there safe return. How awful to think someone could tear someones family apart in a matter of seconds. I will pray for them. Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen dogs in Memphis- GOOD NEWS
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:28:45 pm »
I just had the opportunity to check after being out all day, and DESI and Thriller were recovered this morning. There is a GOD, and I thank you for the safe return of these dogs.

This is the message from the owner : "Apparently the theives felt the heat of the media and dropped the dogs off at Methodist north (human) Hospital. A nurse was on her break with co workers and decided to see if they could get the dogs in her car. Of course they both happily jumpped in the car. She took them to the no kill shelter (Bartlett Animal Shelter)

I was out this morning with a neighbor whose wife had seen the nurses attempting to get these guy s in the car. We followed the lead to the hospital of course they were not working. So we were cruising the subdivision behind the hoispital and stumbled across an animal control truck in the drive of a Home. I marched my butt up to the door apologized for bothering the guy on his day off. I flashed a picture and the guy stated yes we have those. He also went above and beyond by getting his child up from her sleep and met us at the shelter to give us the dogs. I failed to get his name but I think he said it was Bret."

Thank you everyone for your prayers and anything you did to make these dogs too hot for the thieves to hang on to!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:31:14 pm by traklover »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 02:07:25 pm »
I didn't mean to question the theft, just the reason behind the theft.  I'm sooooo glad they were found! 

The dogs were definately stolen or at best attempted (and if it was only attempt, why did only one return). Someone kicked in his fence to get the dogs out, Friday morning. So this was no accidental release of the dogs or canine escape artists at work. The owner is a member of the police dept, so you know his fellow officers are also keeping their eyes open. It is expected that a reward will be offered, and the CCRA is trying to get the media involved. Right now the more people that know in that area, the better the chance the dogs will be recovered.
Daphne