Author Topic: Living in the South--ain't it great Ya'all?  (Read 10473 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Living in the South--ain't it great Ya'all?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 08:58:48 pm »
Most everyone does early morning walks and late evening walks and exercise.  Also take lots of water on trips.  Air conditioning, kiddie pools, and ice help out a lot and lots of shade.  I try to keep my guys in during the hottest part of the day.  If I let them out to run, I will turn on the sprinkler for a little bit if I am not on a water rationing.  Thankfully, my guys don't want to be outside for long when it's so hot out.  Of course, mine all have short coats, I can't imagine how bad it is for the long, heavy coat pups. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

doggylover

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 09:02:16 pm »
WE ARE HANDLING IT THE SAME WAY THANKSGIVING TURKEYS HANDLE BEING THROWN IN THE OVEN.   :'( :'( :'( :'(

mjjensen

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 09:07:41 pm »
WE ARE HANDLING IT THE SAME WAY THANKSGIVING TURKEYS HANDLE BEING THROWN IN THE OVEN.   :'( :'( :'( :'(
At least the turkey isn't being cooked alive like you guys. I don't envy you at all.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 10:12:59 pm »
I agree with the warmer climate.  As I was telling a friend the other night, I was born and raised in Texas, I am built for the heat but not for cold.  We haven't even hit our hottest month down here.  August and September are usually the hottest months but last year it was hot into December.  So, I'll watch the bonfire and bring the chocolate for the smores.

Ditto!  I will take southern summers over cold and snow anyday! 
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 10:27:42 pm »
I was born and raised in Alabama, we didn't even have A/C when I was growing up.  Redneck I know, but I had a box-fan in my window, and that was my cooling.   It was not until much later in life that I lived in a place with central A/C...OMG, I was in heaven, it was neat to set a thermostat and it was cool. 
I can deal with the heat much easier than I can the cold... 95degrees w/ 70% humidity is not great but I can stand it, but 30degree temperatures, and I can not stand to be outside or leave the house.

I am really getting pretty spoiled about temperatures now though that I am getting older... and my latest power bill proves it! Nearly 400 that's a new record for me  ::)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 07:50:16 am »
Brandon, it's really not your fault on the electric bill.  Just like it's not my fault either.  We have big pretty pups and kitties that need to stay cool during the summer.  Really we are sacrificing our wallets so much to keep them at a comfortable temperature year round.   ;D
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

angelsmama

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 12:37:41 pm »
I've been in TN for 20 years nearly, usually I can take our summers but this one is BAD.. It has been  getting in the high 90s into the 100s.. A few days ago it hit 105 with heat index of 112. And humidity was like 86%. It is horrible this summer. Thank God we have a cool front in. It is  85 now heat index 89, about 50% humidity and mostly cloudy. It feels great out  ;D

doggylover

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 01:38:14 pm »
I am dainty.  I don't like any temperature above 72 or below 69.  I know this about myself.  I also don't get up in the morning before 9:00am (well, I didn't before puppy...now I get up when she gets up, but I intend to train her in the ways of our house; don't get up until you have bed sores from laying there too long).  This heat wave we are having here int hte Pacific Northwest actually has me worried about dogs in the area because they are really not used to extreme heat!

GRRRRRR