Author Topic: Can Dogs learn obediience from one another?????  (Read 2896 times)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Can Dogs learn obediience from one another?????
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:41:58 pm »
I think we all know that our fur kids learn a great deal from eachother in our households.

But I  do think  that some dogs can learn from others basic obedience.

This past week I have tried an experiement with Falkor,
I have only worked on our basic obedience in the yard,and I start by tieing him to a post  to watch Magic and I do basic obedience. Heel,sit.down.and stay.

Of course it started with Falkor barking and barking,but we ignored him.

And he did watch between barking eposides,until he stopped.

He still barks when we start but then he watches me and Magic.

Now Magic knows basic obedience and has for a long time.so he rarely makes any mistakes,but he has been jealous of the time I have been spending with Falkor,so he sees this as easy mommy time.I think he likes showing off as well.

Falkor has always looked up to Magic and is in awe of him at times.

It seems to be working,today,the heel,sit and down went very smoothly,stay,well, we are still working on that.

Now it is only in the yard and tomorrow at the dog park in class will be a different thing I'm sure,but he is getting it.I can see his little mind at work.

I was just curious if anyone else had tried this and if so,what results you got.????

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can Dogs learn obediience from one another?????
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:47:33 pm »
I think so!  We have trained all the dogs to lay down and stay while we eat by only training one to do so.  McDOugal was the first to pick up on the fact that the only way he gets a scrap is if he's in a down stay.  The other dogs took a while, but they caught on just by watching McDougal! 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:26:28 am »
i can attest to this!  i have never done formal training (or beginning training of any sort actually) with sheeba or diesel, but they both know sit, down, "go to bed", and get up.  they used to sit for hours while me and axle did obedience, and shortly thereafter picked up on it.  so far caine has only learned sit though ha ha.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:09:12 am »
Shiner learned sit and lay down from watching Kaila and Cinder.  Kaila also learned a lot of the agility stuff by watching Cinder and the other dogs.  Kaila has also learned to find stuff by watching Cinder being trained for SAR work. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Karyl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Phil the Dog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:50:42 pm »
I don't think I'd have ever gotten my Dane through out-of-site sits without my Dutch. He'd get bored and wander happily off or lay down and fall asleep. Finally I put her (the Dutch) in a sit with him, and left, and she made him stay put. He does whatever she tells him to. As I was leaving I could hear her fussing at him, "You will STAY PUT on your spotted butt until she come back, you hear? Or she'll make us do it again and we don't get to play ball right away. We gotta sit here for 15 human minutes and that's like forever, 72 hours, in dog time, so don't you dare make me do it twice..."

I swear he didn't get it the way I was trying to explain it, she trains him, not me. The Dutch is well trained - I get her to do everything with him at first, I kid you not. Works like a charm. He just follows her lead.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Safe a life. RESCUE.