Author Topic: Recurring Giardia  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Catherine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Recurring Giardia
« on: April 14, 2006, 05:28:41 pm »
 >:( I got my Kuvasz puppy at 3 mos and he had severe water diarhea with blood and vomited several times daily. Our Vet put him through the Flagyl,after he tested positive for giardia, for a total of 30 days with a break in there somewhere. The symptoms improved as did his behavior but not for long. We also put him though 3 days of Panacure after he through up roundworms and that has not recurred, to my knowledge. Whenever his giardia sypmtoms start up again his behavior becomes REALLY testy. Now he is 12 mo. By the way,I feed him Nutro, Healthy choice Lamb and Rice. He still gets loose smelly green stools and gas and throws up alot regularly and his breath smells off and his eyes get pink and his appetite goes as well as the misbehavior. I am on the verge of returning him to the breeder because his bad behavior includes aggression toward me (only) and I'm concerned of getting hurt. I hate to lose him since he is sweet when feeling better but I seem to come against brick walls when looking for how to eliminate giardia. I am told that it's not possible and it will go into remission, but WHEN! This pup grew up in a yard where there were two floods during his puppy days. He also has a musty smell to him that seems to be getting less with time but I suspect some kind of fungal issue also. I've given Lucas grape fruit seed extract, enzymes to digest yeast overgrowth,olive leaf extract,acidopholis and R Lipoic acid the latter seems to help the most. It gives liver support as well as other things. I am suspecting that there is some issue besides the giardia that is not allowing his immune system to hold the giardia down. If it were notso expensive I have other hunches I'd persue-ie. food allergies, leaky gut. Any suggestions would be welcome  :) I am told that giardia encapsulates itself in a hard shell and implants in the intestines and this is why it is hard or impossible to get rid of completely. I know that yeast does this also and there are enzymes to digest the shell of yeasts and I have found out what yeasts shell is made of but cannot find out what the giardia shell "cyst" is made of. Anyone know???? If I knew I might be able to determine which enzyme could digest it while putting him on the Flagyl again.  ??? Thanks, Lucas' Mom

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Recurring Giardia
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:42:04 am »
I'm sorry that I don't have any information to give you.  My only experience with giardia was with a friend's child and he was antibiotics and it cleared up fine.

I'm so sorry you are going through this!!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 05:49:45 am »
My Nala was diagnosed with giardia about 3 weeks ago. We treated both dogs for is as they drink out of the same dish. Did they tell you to Clorox everything he has, kennel, food and water dishes, toys. We had to throw away toys and buy new ones. I diluted the Clorox and washed all dishes daily and they washed twice with soapy water to make sure the residue was gone. Also wash the kennel with Clorox wipes daily. We cleard up find with Sulcralfate and metronidozole. Hope he gets better.

ibenu

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:48:38 pm »
Aaaaarrgg we are waiting for the giardia test to come back now he has had three doses of matrindoze(flagyl) and is already getting better stools. However, his appitite is huge!! While doing my research on line I read in a few instances that you needed amonia to kill it as Bleach would not. I thought that strange I as I beleieved bleach killed everthing!!! Poor 4 month old Neo was shooting poop three feet away at its wateriest. You posted this in April wondering how it went did it all get cleared up and how long did it take? we are into week one one the trotts afater just one insident of vomiting..