BPO General Forum > General Board for Big Dogs with Big Paws

Naming your dog

(1/3) > >>

jabear:
I was sitting around wondering how long it took for you to decide on your fur baby's name. Personally, we had Bear's name chosen (and all that he was going to be) long before we got him. Though unoriginal, it fits him so well and brings a smile to our face everytime we say it!

steelkiwi686:
Wel, my dogs were not named until I got each and really gave them a good look. I tried to fit their name to their look and personality as a puppy. This is Leo, as a baby I thought he would look like a lion, that is why I chose the name. I think I was right. Sometimes I do wonder, does the name itself become a self fulfilling prophecy? If I named him Chaos, would be have been chaotic?? I pictured the name Leo to represent a gentle huge lionlike dog. How do you think I did??

Bridget

tanimara:
I agree with you very strongly on naming dogs becomes a self fullfilling prophesey.  I've seen it occur over and over.  However I have not learned from that...lol  hince I named my current show dog Spirit Warrior "Warrior" ........ nuff said...lol

Jackie

Wildlonewolf:
Lucy's name came about as she is a red greyhound. She was so comical that first night, (she acted like a 3yr old puppy, off the racetrack) That the only name that suited her was Lucy. As "I love Lucy" is the only comical redhead that came to mind at the time. I called her name and she came running over right away, so the way I saw it, she liked it. That's the story of Lucy... BTW she still makes me Howl with laughter!! LOL

Renee & Lucy

Saljen:
I am definately on the side of naming a dog after you meet it and know its personality.
Hey, Wildlone: I've got a Lucy, too, & she was named after the same famous redhead. She is actually 'officially' my son's dog so he got to name her as a pup. She has a red coat and my son and I were watching a lot of 'I love Lucy' on TVLand that summer and he was LOVING the show. So, he came up with Lucy! Funny thing is, it REALLY fits her but not because she is a comedian - far from it! She's our serious worry-wart, but something about the name just fits her old, mothering soul. Our other dog Rosie got her name because she gets so happy-go-lucky sometimes its HILARIOUS! So we said that she looked at the world thru rose colored glasses, plus we wanted a sweet name that suited her. Even tho she's not a "big paw', here is a pic of Lucy just this once.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version