Author Topic: I wonder if the End is near  (Read 5097 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
I wonder if the End is near
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:30:46 am »
My poor old mans days are... not so good anymore and they are starting to out number the good ones. Today it is really hot here, I let him out early this am only to watch him fall down the 3 steps we have. He continued on his way to do his duties, trotted around and went to lay in the shade. went to let him in awhile later 1/2hr to be exact, a friend had stopped by to bring me some flowers for the garden and he fell into the steps twice and then when he walked around the backyard he went on an angle and fell over three times I carried him up the steps and brought him inside. He ate his breakfast and then stood looking(he cannot see anymore and we have to clap for him to hear us) at me wagging his tail  :'( Last time I was at the vet they told me he's an old dog and has had a wonderful full life, he is a country vet and I trust him completly. I read and post in the threads of pets that have past on when I can and I know the time is near... just not yet pleeease  :'( Hoover after eating walked over to his bed leaning on everything to get him there safely and is sleeping quietly... am I holding on for my own selfish reasons? I want him to leave us with dignity and pride and not a broken down old man  :'( sorry it's all choppy it's taken me almost 40 min to finish it
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

lorim2

Re: I wonder if the End is near
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:45:10 am »
I am feeling for you right now.  Through tears I am posting this and my heart is breaking for you.  The only advice I have is to enjoy every second with him and you have been the best mama..you need to remember that.  Lots of love coming to you guys

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:22 am »
Oh, Kim!

I'm sorry! Last night, I was walking Cabeza and I noticed he's starting to slow down. He's 8, and it just hit me really hard...he isn't going to be here forever! So, I've been thinking about all the fun we've had and the great life we have led together and just enjoying all the moments we've got.

I hope you can do the same! I'll be thinking of you!!

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:58:00 am »
Awww I'm so sorry!  It's sooooo hard to decide when it's the right "time".  I truly believe they do have a way of telling us though.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:12:30 am »
Awww, Kim. I'm so sorry. :'( Hugs to you and your family.

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:14:35 am »
I'm so sorry Kim, my heart is aching for you so much right now  :'( I know how hard it is to see our best friends still wag their tails at us when life isn't all that great for them anymore, perhaps it's their way of saying "I love you so much, regardless of what you choose for me". Aw, I'm heartbroken reading this (but at the same time) will say a prayer that you are guided to making the right decision for Hoover right now...

You have given him a life that a lot of dogs can only dream of, he knows that now and will ALWAYS know it, no matter where he is (with you or at the bridge, patiently waiting to see you again one day). I hope you find peace in knowing how much he loves you and the life you've given him, regardless of when that last breath is taken.

Big hugs to you and your family, and to the old man Hoover  ;) We're here for you, whatever your decision is...  :-*

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 01:25:52 am »
I am so sorry that Hoover isn't feeling well these days.  I can't say anything that anyone else hasn't already said and thoughts that you have already had.

You have got to know that you have given Hoover the very best; he knows it he appreciates it (just look at the way he looks at you and wags his tail).

I do believe that we know when it is time; even though we want more time for ourselves we put our friends needs ahead of ours to stop their pain and sadly add to ours - thats what good parents (pet and skin) do.

My stoli went fairly quickly one day she was running around (she was 12 1/2) she was diagnosed with congenital heart failure and within a month she had gone way down hill - I kept telling her - you tell me when you make it clear and I will help you!!  She made it abundantly clear she was ready - she woke me in the middle of the night - I thought she had to go out (she was on lasex for the water retention) so she went often - I went to let her out she wouldn't go she would just sit and stare at me I tried to go back to bed - she kept sitting staring with those beautiful soleful springer spaniel eyes - I cried - woke my husband and told him it was time - it was 3:00 in the morning - we were visiting my in-laws and nothing else mattered!!  I found an emergency 24 hour vet - brought her in they said if she stayed in an oxygen tent she could probably make it home - but I chose not to - she loved her vet and loved going to the office was it necessary to end her suffering there - I thought no so it was she was let go of her pain as the sun came up over Grand Island NY.  

Again, I am so sorry for your pain, sadly it is the price we pay for having such beloved animals in our lives.

Randy & Harley

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 03:18:39 am »
I am so sorry  :'( I'm praying for you and sweet Hoover .
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 03:26:55 am »
You and Hoover and in my thoughts.  I too read these threads and imagine the difficulty that the people who have to make this choice endures and really sympathize.  I hope you find peace and comfort in knowing and loving your pet better than anyone else could and that you did give him a wonderful life.  You, your family and Hoover are in all of our thoughts and prayers.  Big hugs to you all and especially sweet old Hoover.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 05:18:35 am »
Wanted to let you know that our thoughts are with you in this very difficult time.  As I write this, I'm still surprised by the rawness that I feel over my loss of Berkely over a year ago.  I hope that you find peace, no matter what decision, in knowing that you have given your boy the best in life.  When the time truly comes, I think you'll know.

Good luck.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 05:30:33 am »
I read this earlier and started to tear up, I keep thinking that if I wait to reply that I'll be tougher, but it isn't happening.  I'm so sorry, this is the very toughest part of loving our furry babies.  I know that you love him very much, it comes through so very clearly in your words.  I'm sure that whenever the time comes, that you will make the right decision for him.  I agree with everyone, mine have always told me when it was time, too.  It's just so, so hard to hear what they tell us when we don't want to let them go.  I knew that I wouldn't get through this without tears....  :'(

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Hoover and the rest of your family.    :'(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 05:32:33 am »
I too am sorry.  I just put my wonderful Tsu down three days ago and can't even start to think of her without the tears starting.  When she got sick Tuesday morning, I ran her to the emergency vet and they told me they couldn't get the tube down her throat to let the air/food/water out of her bloated belly.  They said they could do surgery (at 13 and already in shock from the hour drive) I was NOT going to do that to my precious baby.  She was in pain and panting and so swollen...I knew without a thought that it was the right thing.  I am devistated by it, but I was not going to let her suffer.  I hate that she had to suffer for the 3.5 hours and go thru the trying to get the tube down her and bless her heart she tried to throw up and nothing could make it up...too bloated.  I loved her like a child/sister/best friend.  There wasn't a minute that I have second guessed my decision.  I would rather have her at the Bridge playing than suffering here with me.  You are both in my prayers.
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 09:27:12 am »
Oh, Kim, my heart goes out to you and Hoover. 
Salli, Annie's mama!