Author Topic: shock collar question  (Read 8174 times)

angelsmama

Re: shock collar question
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 01:07:56 pm »
personally i think shock collars are cruel.. and i saw how mean they can make a dog.. my mom and i were nearly attacked by a gsd/husky mix whos owner used a shock collar on him all the time.. that dog was really aggressive.. anyways way i see shock collars and bark collars are pointless... well shock collars are just torture.. the bark collars... dogs have reason to bark.. what if the dog has a very good reason to bark?? but he could be scared to bark cause of the spray he gets in his face.. back on shock collars.. put one on yourself..  and shock yourself.. then you know how the dog is feeling.. you are basically electrocuting your dog..   to show this isnt all just my opinion ill show some paragraphs from www.k9magazine .com

"The concept of the device is simply horrific. Dog partakes in behaviour not to the liking of dog’s owner, owner electrocutes dog. Forgive me for thinking we lived in a society that had long since abandoned the ideals of drowning Witches or burning people at the stake but I am convinced that future generations will look back on the world who embraced the electric shock collar with a similar level of disdain.

Electric shock collars, you have caused nothing but ills since your inception. The pain and anguish you have delivered in your time could never be justified by the pro-electrocution brigade who seem to think your ability to inflict instant ‘correction’ and the possibility of such an action being capable of righting the wrongs of a dog whose behavioural misdemeanours have placed him in life’s last chance saloon, are a reasonable argument for their role in society.

How many times must we hear the argument that electric shock collars have saved the lives of dogs considered to be too unruly or too untrustworthy to co-exist in human society? Dogs with temperament problems who could be considered beyond the reach of the most successful canine behaviour experts still do not deserve to be persecuted and tortured into submission. There are humane methods to change and influence the behaviour of any living breathing creature capable of thinking, a dog especially so. Remote control electrocution simply can not be considered a humane or acceptable solution, whatever the necessity to alter behaviour. Even convicted criminals, sentenced to death in the Electric Chair are spared the long term agony of punishing electrical charges being pumped into their bodies. Death comes relatively quickly for these people and as barbaric as the act itself may be, even murderers would never be subjected to a daily electrocution until such a time as they had ‘learned their lesson.’ Why, therefore, should a dog?"

"Is it in any way conceivable that a dog, an animal born of no inherent malevolence, a creature whose psychological makeup is influenced entirely by environmental conditioning and its interaction with members of the human race, could ever commit an act worthy of this most vile and excruciatingly painful example of human cruelty as a means of justifiable reprisal?

Furthermore, that companies who profit from the sale and manufacture of a device renowned for its capability to inflict a deplorable level of brutality on its animal victims, should do so at the physical and mental expense of those dogs who have to endure the consequences of its potency all in the name of ‘more desirable behaviour’?

Is this a product that we, a supposed Nation of animal lovers should be tolerant of as it is made freely  available for sale in the United Kingdom to anyone who so desires to one?

Does not the sheer concept of a device, created to inflict punishment by means of remote electrocution on an animal we refer to as ‘man’s best friend’, strike you as being barbaric, hypocritical and contradictory to everything that modern society stands for?"

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 03:45:37 am »

Shock collars are cruel and aversive and do nothing but damage dogs.  They are not "training" - but abuse designed to scare a dog into "inaction".  This is not the relationship I want with my dogs and do not encourage anyone to take this course of action.

There are so many proven, effective training methods to address the various issues cited here in this thread.  The key is find a good, CPDT qualified trainer and being consistent.  I have never seen a case where shock collars were necessary.  Even labs, renowned for not being touch sensitive have owners who argue to me that their dogs are not adversely affected - when I show them exactly what subtle behaviors to look for and articulate what damage looks like - they ultimately see it.

Building a solid relationship based on communication requires you to show the dog what you want it to do and reward that behavior - NOT just punish every behavior you don't like.  This is the equivalent of spanking a child every time she pees in her diaper. You will ultimately scare her into not showing you what she has done, or being afraid to do it at all, but you still haven't shown her what you want her to do.

The original poster mentioned a golden retriever - this is one of the most touch sensitive breeds out there and I can't imagine destroying a golden with shock abuse.

I hope you will consider counter-conditioning training and find a good CPDT trainer in your area.  You can start by going to http://www.apdt.com/ and looking for CPDT certification.

Also, you can purchase several excellent books by excellent trainers that can walk you through self training. Patricia McConnell is the best trainer out there and her books are excellent:  http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/

Good luck
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:17:19 pm »

Important information to read and consider before putting a shock collar on your dog:

http://www.hollysden.com/shock-say_no.htm

http://www.advocatesforanimals.org/pdf/electricshockcollars.pdf
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 01:57:53 pm »
We recently purchased one and I think it is a wonderful tool.  I use it on a setting lower than I have tried on myself.  I shocked myself on a higher setting for the full 10 seconds and it wasn't that big of a deal, it certainly didn't hurt. 

As others have said the point isn't to hurt the pup , but to get their attention.  How that is any more cruel than some other kind of training collar I dont know.  I don't think anyone is recommending you jack it up to full power and hurt the poor dog.

Anyways.. It has proven it's worth for us in just a short amount of time. 

Our problem has been with Sophie, she barks, counter surfs, steals the cats food, etc.  I love her to death, but she does try our patience at times. :)   It works great if you can catch them in the act, distract them with collar and divert their attention to something less undesirable. 

I also use a hot-wire on the inside of our fence outside, and I know that hurts a lot more than a remote collar.  I have probably been shocked more times than the dogs.  But my dogs respect the fence and will not be the ones getting ran over.  Tough love I guess ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:00:17 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 02:07:07 pm »
Forgot to mention, there are of course different methods in using it.  I wouldn't want to train a dog like some field dogs are trained, where they are shocked until the perform they action the trainer is looking for.

What we have been doing is avoidance training which is a quick blip as a distraction and not a steady shock until the dog performs what you want them to.. Not sure what that is called, I am sure there is a term for it.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”