Author Topic: Tipper is being a real stinker!  (Read 2073 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Tipper is being a real stinker!
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:07:43 pm »
I need some help figuring out what is up with my medium paw dog--Tipper will be 9 years old in March--is in amazing shape, everyone always thinks he is a young dog--he has LOTS of energy, but always has settled in the house fine.

I take him and Jenny on an hour long walk (usually with a pack on) or romp in the woods daily. I adopted him when he was 2 and he was crated for quite a while due to chewing things and potty training issues, but has not used a crate in probably 4 years.

Well, he is acting like he is having separation anxiety, but that doesn't make sense to me as nothing in his life has changed since I adopted Jenny over a year ago. Everytime I leave the house he chews up and shreds something--lately it has been the paper recycling, but when I put that away, he went after some presents that are under the tree. So, today I got back out the crate. But why would he start to do this? I work part time, so I am home quite a bit, he is never left for long periods of time. Nothing has changed. Why now? He seems in perfect health--eating, pooping, peeing, drinking all normal. I am stumped!  ??? Any thoughts?
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Tipper is being a real stinker!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:09:44 pm »
Perhaps he still has a lot more energy to burn now that the weather has turned colder.  I know mine seem to have gained energy all of a sudden and gone deaf to commands.  I have heard some people say that their older dogs developed separation anxiety as they got up in age and it got worse the older they got.  Not sure but I might try running even more energy off of him and definitely use the crate. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience