Author Topic: Amish puppies  (Read 14443 times)

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
Amish puppies
« on: July 28, 2005, 05:42:35 am »
Has anyone else seen the ad for Amish puppies on this site?
They have every breed imaginable.  I hope it's not a puppy mill.
It looked sort of strange to me. 

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Amish puppies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:09:56 am »
The amish are well known for puppy farming.

There is also a Rottweiler site that flashes up on this website often, Lefler Rottweilers. These people live about 30 mins from me and are breeding and selling repugnant examples of my breed with absolutely no titles or health testing.

Makes me nauseous. I've tried very hard to lure them in, I've invited them to club meetings, shows, to come out and train with me, etc.

No bites.

que sera sera I guess.

*sigh*
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:35:56 am »
That is horrible. I had no idea

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 06:35:57 am »
Yes, unfortunately many of the large puppy mills here in PA are run by the Amish.  My understanding is that the Amish view dogs as livestock, and breed and sell them as such.  The conditions at these mills are horrendous.

Lori

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 07:06:20 am »
Very interesting reading. Very sad and disturbing.
Thank you Red.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 08:43:30 am »
The pictures in that 'prisoners of greed' link make me SO mad  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 09:43:05 am »
My mom lives in Lancaster. I must say I have little or no respect for them, because of the way they treat their animals. Horses especially. They do NOT feed or treat animals properly. Animals are just property & not pets. They have a problem with FEEDING animals...don't even get me going!!
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 09:50:08 am »
My mom lives in Lancaster. I must say I have little or no respect for them, because of the way they treat their animals. Horses especially. They do NOT feed or treat animals properly. Animals are just property & not pets. They have a problem with FEEDING animals...don't even get me going!!
Carolyn
I've heard that too about their animals not getting enough to eat...Yup, Amish puppies=puppy mills.

Offline shurepetsgirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Pet Parties
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 11:47:16 am »
We have a pet store near us that advertises on the radio. They brag about having the largest selection of puppies in the area! I can't stand to listen cuz it ticks me off every time I hear it.

All we can do is keep the public informed and maybe it will help. But then again if you have a person that wants a purebred who do you think they are going to choose? A breeder that charges $1,000 for their puppy or a pet store that charges 1/2 that. We all know that the breeder is the better choice but for some people money can be the deciding factor.
Valerie Twombly
Shure Pets Consultant #0292
Choose a job you love and you will
never have to work a day in your life!
www.petparties .biz
shurepetsgirl@yahoo.com

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 01:20:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing those articles Red. They are very informative and make me sick at the same time. Ugh. I just find those puppy mills to be so appaling. ...how could anyone buy a puppy from them and financially support them?!!  It makes me nauseaus. Those pictures are heart breaking but the reality of it is overwhelming.. ..is there anyone we can write to....or anything we can do???? 
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 01:29:15 pm »
I have seen those sites before, they are horrible and makes you feel sick to your stomach. Thanks for posting them Red, they need to be read by as many as possible.

I have not seen either the amish or the so called breeder Red is talking about here, I must be missing a whole lot lol.....

Where have you all seen them?

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 01:35:17 pm »
Why do pet stores buy from puppy mills?  Profit.  They get the pups at a discount from the millers, then sell them to the misinformed public for major $$.  Have you ever seen the prices pet stores charge for pure bred pups?  Almost always higher than what you'd get from a reputable breeder and many times MUCH higher...espec ially for the rarer breeds.  I don't know about other breeds, but for Bernese Mountain Dogs, you can get them from top notch breeders for around $1200-$1500.  You rarely see a berner in a pet store for under $2500...unless it has been there awhile is is costing the store too much money to keep...then they'll 'discount' them for under $2000.  The purebred pups you see in petstores often suffer from serious health and termperment issues....as NO screenings are done on the parents. 

Please, Please, Please never buy purebred dogs from petstores.  For those of you reading this who do have pet store dogs....please don't take this post as a criticism, you cannot help what you didn't know. Your dogs are every bit as worthy of the care and love you give them...they are the true victims.   But if people stopped buying them from the pet stores, the millers would slowly be put out of business as stores aren't gonna buy product they can't move.  The general public is not aware of this problem and for many people who want a purebred dog...they assume the pet store is the place to go.  The only way this will change is through education.  Please spread the word of these atrocities to your friends and neighbors.  The petstores and millers aren't gonna tell you the truth...we have to get the truth out there on our own!

Sorry for the winded post...this subject is near and dear to my heart.

Lori

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 01:39:35 pm »
I've talked quite a few people out of buying puppies from pet stores. There is a store in Port Jefferson, NY "The Yuppy Puppy" they've been on the news, lots of bad publicity, sick puppies & still people go there. They are just as or more expensive than a private breeder. This one girl said she had to save the puppy, so she bought it. Until people stop buying puppies from pet stores/puppy mills there will be an incredible overpopulation of unwanted & neglected puppies.
If theres no market for them to make money on maybe someday they will cease to exist.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 01:42:26 pm »
Lori, that topic is very near and dear to my heart too. I have worked in rescue for many many years, and when I moved here I met some new problems that I had never seen before, one of them puppy mills.

Your post was very very good and I totally agree with everything you said.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog