Author Topic: Mean Mommy  (Read 2991 times)

Kiahpyr

Mean Mommy
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:30:46 pm »
On sunday Kiah got a good grooming. We gave her a bath, trimmed her nails and cut the hair around her feet. The nail trimming went horribly wrong. When I was trimming her nails she pulled her foot back while I had a the trimmer on a nail. She YELPED and there was blood everywhere! I feel like a horrible mom! Now she won't let me get near her feet. :( I felt so bad that Kiah got spoiled with lots of treats and lovin!

My question is will she remember this and if so how am I going to be able to trim her nails ever again? 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 02:36:09 pm by Tajsa »

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Mean Mommy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:47:56 pm »
No you are not a mean mommy, you just feel guilty that's all.  But belive me, you are not alone in having this happen to you.  And no, they will never forget.  We had that happen when Todd was triming nails on Gandalf.  So he's real touchy about his feet.  I didn't think we would ever be able to trim again either.  The show folks use a dremmel tool.  I know that, I've shown dogs and own a dremmel tool.  But since Gandalf has never been shown or trained to a dremmel tool for his nails Im thinking ... yeah right.. Im just sure he's going to let me do that to his nails.. guess what?  He fell asleep whil we were doing them.  So you might try it.  It worked for us and now that's all we use on nails......... You are not a mean mommy, ---- happens.  I must admit you sound like Michelle who owns Pippin!  Worry Wart...lol.... ...Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:57:18 pm »
LOL you are SOOOO not a mean mommy.  You are an obsessed dog lover (like anyone who regularly posts on here  ;) who had an unfortunate incident with a squirmy dog. 
I personally muzzle Badger when I do his nails only because he has freaked out ever since I trimmed him in puppyhood.  The muzzle is so that he doesn't lose his mind and do something without thinking. 
I don't know if muzzling your dog at this point would make the situation worse, but I definately liked the last poster's idea of using the dremel tool.  I've heard those work well.  They do sound scary so you may want to put on your dog's favorite TV show for the trim (omg my dog has a favorite show).
 ;)Ronda

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:10:20 pm »
I once caught the quick on my Neeko and even when he was 8 years old he still remebered.  He would still let me cut his nails, however when I got to the one I caught, he would rumble a bit and try to pull his foot away.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 03:52:56 pm »
No you are not a mean mommy, you just feel guilty that's all.  But belive me, you are not alone in having this happen to you.  And no, they will never forget.  We had that happen when Todd was triming nails on Gandalf.  So he's real touchy about his feet.  I didn't think we would ever be able to trim again either.  The show folks use a dremmel tool.  I know that, I've shown dogs and own a dremmel tool.  But since Gandalf has never been shown or trained to a dremmel tool for his nails Im thinking ... yeah right.. Im just sure he's going to let me do that to his nails.. guess what?  He fell asleep whil we were doing them.  So you might try it.  It worked for us and now that's all we use on nails......... You are not a mean mommy, ---- happens.  I must admit you sound like Michelle who owns Pippin!  Worry Wart...lol.... ...Jackie
Me??...A worry wort???...Nnnnooooooo oooo!...Not me!!! :P :D
Samson was wonderful about having his nails trimmed until I caught the quick the 1st time...He never did forget it...It's a battle to trim his nails now...I am seriously considering the dremmel tool because today I managed to get all of his nails trimmed with the help of a leash, my son & daughter & 2 full hotdogs & guess what???...After battling him within an inch of all our lives & all the hotdogs...I caught another quick...2nd to last nail...I might have no other option than the dremmel now...I hope Kiah forgives & forgets easier than Sammy Whammy! :-\

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:20:26 pm »
Don't feel bad!!!  I did it to Lacey and felt terrible though too.  I'm the only one she'll let trim her nails (my mom restrains her and I trim).  I had to learn to do it because I was the only one she'd let.  They need to be done again so we'll see how she reacts. Good luck with the next nail trim!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties