Author Topic: I got snapped at this morning  (Read 11099 times)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: I got snapped at this morning
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 12:23:52 am »
I don't have a Pyr, but my mutt, Zeus, was so very miserable when crated. He would defecate on himself everytime he was crated. (We bought a crate that was just the right size, but he would still do it, and then lay in it all day  :o) It was suggested to us by our Vet that his temperment was such that Crate Training was not an option for him. He suggested an outside kennel as well. Zeus is a professional excavator, and would dig to China if we let him. *lol* We got an outside dog run, and layed chicken wire all along the insude, and then gravelled it. This makes it easy for accidents to drain, and clean-up is a snap.

This works so well, that all three of our boys now stay in a 20'x20' enclosure, and they have the added benefit of being able to play all day with each other (plenty of exercise!) and be safe from the elements.

Best of luck.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 02:46:21 am »
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but if we were to set up an outside "run" for her, how cold is too cold for her to be out in for an extended period of time?  Like, an 8 hour work day?  I don't care about the yard being dug up, per se, my point is, she might get out of the yard and get lost or worse.  I will definitely be setting up a doggie area in the basement, it's concrete floors anyway.  She has never gone potty or poop in her cage.  I guess we are lucky about that.  I wonder if she'll go now that she'll have more room in the basement?  If she goes in her cage she has to lay in it, if she goes in the basement she won't.  That's my fear, that if she isn't in the cage, she'll think it's ok to go in the basement....ki nd of like what they do when you board them and they are forced to go in their area.  I do not want to confine her all day, but I also need to feel comfortable that she will not destroy our stuff.  I want to find an alternative that makes us both happy.  I know even at 7 months, she is still very much considered a puppy...and I know she is still destructive, that's the reason she is caged while we are at work. 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 03:03:46 am »
I would think the colder it got the happier a Pyr would be... they looks like a big ole' polar bear.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Kiahpyr

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 03:13:30 am »
Kiah hasn't been in a crate since 5 months. At that time she decided she didn't want to be in her crate. We got a wire crate because the plastic ones were more expensive. What type of crate do you have? She escaped from her crate 3 times and the last time she injured herself. The crate had to go. She never had an accident in the house except when she was sick. She can go all night from around 10:30pm-7:00am. She will scratch on our bedroom door to be let out in the mornings. So the time does vary. The only problems we've recently encountered was her chewing on stuff. I just have to make sure toys, shoes, etc are picked up and all the bedroom doors are shut. I think Sadie will be happier to have a bigger place in your basement. Kiah is 7 1/2 months old.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 03:15:19 am »
Sorry for butting in on this thread when I really have no practical knowledge of LGD's other than what I've read. 

But won't a LGD pretty much go crazy being crated all day? I mean they have a strong instinctual drive to "patrol",  and being confined to a crate would be going against this really strong inbred drive they have.  It just seems like by their very nature they would not be a good canidate for being crated during the day.. Just my thoughts, but I don't have a LGD, I have a lazy bear rug.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 03:19:59 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 03:23:45 am »
Sugar Bear got his bottom teeth stuck on the crate door his first night home.  So the crate had to go the next day, I was not going to let that evil thing hurt my boy.  My husband built him a cut little wood playpen, he was in that for almost two months until he was to big for it.  Then it was full run of his room and most of the house. 

Dixie lasted in the playpen for about 5 min.  then I just let her have full run of their room and some of the house.  She is so busy making her brother crazy she does not have time to chew stuff inside.  He has made a light snack out of 4 landscape lights.  She pulls them out of the ground and runs around with her treasure.  They have a doggy door so they can go in and out as they please.  The only time I will not let them out at will is during the day at work (I work, they sleep) and at night from 11pm to 6am.  Other than that they get to go in and out the doggy door, they love it.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 03:26:30 am »
My Pyr is fine in his crate, but he HATED it when he was younger, around 4, 5 months old.( he is 10 months now) I just took lots of patience, and showing him who is alpha. We also started feeding him in his crate and that really helps as well.  Good luck

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 04:05:56 am »
Am I correct in thinking that your Pyr's crate is in a different area of the house than you are usually in?...Can you put it in an area that you spend alot of time in?...the reason I am asking is that when Samson was crated we kept his crate in the family room because that is where we all spent most of our time...That way he could go into it like it was his bedroom & rest or just get away from things...If your crate is in an area of the house that you don't use alot your dog may very well be getting upset because she equates going to the area the crate is in as being seperated from her pack & that is the worst place in a dogs mind that they can be...The law of the wild is that a dog seperated from it's pack is a dead dog (or wolf) That is not a happy place for a dog to be in their mind...This could be causing her alot of anxiety...If the crate was in an area that you spend time in you dog could go in it at will when you are there just to spend time & relax & that would make it a friendlier place to be...As far as the nipping goes it can't be tolerated at all!!!...Samson was 7 months when he started testing me & I had to resort to the alpha roll which is no longer recommnded but it worked for us big time...If you decide to use the roll make sure you are comfortable enough with your dog to know you won't get bit...The idea is to put them on their back when they exibit unwanted behaivor like nipping at you when you try to put her in her crate...This is not puppy nipping if she is nipping at you because she doesn't want to go in her crate...This is agression...Wh en you get your dog on her back hold her down until she completely relaxes thus telling you "you are alpha & I am a lower status dog"...If you choose to use this tecnique you can't let the dog up until she submits EVER...Also, protect your face from a bite...Samson never bit me when we used this but bites to the face are why it is no longer recommended... Be sure you can carry through before you decide to use the roll...Also, don't drag your dog by the scruff...Rathe r "herd" the dog to the crate & be relentless until she goes in...I think if you move the crate to a comman living area & make it a fun place to be by hiding treats under a blanker or such & leave the door open while you are home she will come to like it...Samson loved his crate & went in it often on his own...Whenever she goes in praise her highly & give lots of love & treats..Good luck!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 04:33:17 am »
That is a good idea to move the crate to an other area. My crates are one in the bedroom for Dilbert and 2 wire crates in the living room for when we are not home. And we have the TV on for them to watch. (cartoons  ;D ) But is works all we have to say is OK kids we have to go to work, and they walk right in there crates with no prob at all.
I would follow Gypsys advice and try and put the crate in an other area of the house.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 08:50:13 am »
Sounds like a good time to implement NILF, Nothing In Life is Free.  In other words, she has to "earn" everything, treats, walking through doors, going outside.....  Make her sit for everything, demand she be obedient to earn the right to do anything.

IMO, you're little girl is testing you, it's time to show her who's the real Alpha of the house!  ;D
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 09:53:29 am »
Sounds like a good time to implement NILF, Nothing In Life is Free.  In other words, she has to "earn" everything, treats, walking through doors, going outside.....  Make her sit for everything, demand she be obedient to earn the right to do anything.

IMO, you're little girl is testing you, it's time to show her who's the real Alpha of the house!  ;D
I agree with you...We use NILF here too...Samson is such a stubborn boy that sometimes he will turn his back on me & walk away rather than comply to the sit or down command...He's like "the treat ain't worth it"...lol!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 10:16:36 am »

He's like "the treat ain't worth it"...lol!
Boy that is such a Pyr thing.  Sugar Bear and Dixie are both like that.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 11:07:54 pm »
Well, I'm happy to report that this morning things went much more smoothly than yesterday.  She made it evident that she did not want to go in her cage, she rolled over onto her back, but I got behind her and kept repeating what I wanted her to do, and within a minute she was up, head slumped, walking towards the basement.  She went in and I gave her toys and treats.  I was alone, too.  We spend a lot of time in the basement, where her crate is.  Our computers are down there, and my husband runs his business out of the basement, so she's constantly up and down the stairs with us.  I think it will be ok if we leave her crate where it is.  And she is only in her crate while we are working and gone for longer than half an hour.   We already discussed warding off an area just for her in the basement, but it will be hard considering how big she is.   I obviously did the wrong thing by grabbing her collar to try to get her up.  I will keep trying what I did this morning and hopefully it will work. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 11:58:14 pm »
Great news! :) Just keep being assertive with her...I really think she'll be fine she just has to know who the real "big dog" is! ;D

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 07:25:08 am »
I came in on this one too late LOL...Seems that things are better which is great...One thing I can say is my hands are never used in a negative fashion...A sharp quick no but I never use my hands as a punishment or a reprimand

My crates are used for nothing but great fun and incredible things...eatin g and sleeping and never for a punishment.... My older boy is 11.5 months and hasnt been crated since 4 or 5 months but eats in there (i feed raw) with door open and sleeps in there with door open on his own will

My younger 21wk old Caucasian Shepherd also eats and sleeps in there but I close the door for her because she keeps on trying to take her meaty bones on the floor LOL...and she is more of a investigator than Zero is so when I dont take them with me (which is rare) she is crated with the door closed and is 100% comfortable with being in crate

Whenever I am crating my dogs with the door closed something yummy and fun goes in there and they run right in...infact at breakfast, the both of them will sit in there with their tails wiggling waiting for food and if Zero wants a snack he tells me by sitting in his crate and looking at me

I guess I use the NILIF routine and both dogs are really good for LGD's in listening to what I want and if they dont I reinforce that yes, they infact do have to listen

LGD's are independent and self thinkers and catch on FAST, they know what is next and they know their routine after a few days and I am sure being in a crate for 8 hours isnt exactly the fun part of the day for your pup

You could also save all great yummy things for positive crate experience...g ive her treats and bones and chew toys in the crate only so your pup associates better things with it

I dont leave my dogs outside when I am not home because I cannot control the world around me and being LGD's they LOVE LOVE to bark so neighbors may get annoyed

I am fortunate enough that my dogs are with me 99% of the time....I dont work so I watch my nephew as a favor for my brother and take them with me because they have a fenced yard and socialization is great for them...so we are out and about throughout the day and nice and tired when I get home for the eveniing LOL

Your dog should be able to handle pretty cold temps infact last winter my zero then 13 or 14 weeks wouldnt come in during a blizzard...he has snow freezing to his fur and he just thought that was the most fun

Both my dogs dont like plasitc crates and we use the wire ones...

the other things is tire the pup before crating...take for a nice walk or a good romp in the yard and when you notice that the pup is tired put the pup into the crate

Good Luck with your pup and remember you need to be calm, happy confident and self assured and your pup will follow that lead

I notived with LGD's that once you are aggravated or frustrated with them, they seem to shut down and not work for ya and just lay there
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka