Author Topic: Kiah's blowing her coat!!  (Read 4544 times)

Kiahpyr

Kiah's blowing her coat!!
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:04:46 pm »
I wonder if that's why she rolled in the sand. Do they get all ichy? Any other advice about how to take care of all the fur?. I do have a rake and a slicker brush. They are working well. I just can't believe all the fur!! It's snowing! LOL!! I brush and brush and brush and it never ends. How long does the whole process take?

This is perfect timing too! I have company this weekend. AAAAHHHHH!!!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Kiah's blowing her coat!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:09:22 pm »
You can tell your friends that you are having an indoor snowstorm!  I wonder if they could use this stuff in Hollywood for the movie sets!  Give her a bath - it will come out in clouds  but you won't get it all out by the weekend!  Whole process takes a week to 10 days - sorry!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:24:25 pm »
Since the weather is kind of changing here, I think we are in for a long shedding season too. Bathing & bow drying will do lots of good and regular brushing sessions will too.

Maybe you can tell your company that you are saving her fur to make a coat or something?  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:34:58 pm »
Don't worry I'm so going to have a pyr sweater made. :) I can't wait!! I gave Kiah a bath last night. Luckily my company loves dogs!

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:42:23 pm »
Well, I know the best tool that I have found for Huskies and other thick coated dogs is called a shedding blade. I think anyway. We got ours at Walmart for around $6 I believe. It looks very harsh, it is kind of a metal loop with a green handle. It works wonders!!!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:44:36 am »
Great!...lol..I am sure we'll be starting here within the next few weeks...My God, last year Samson has a partial blow & we got a Hefty bag out of him...This yr. we'll get a full blow out of him & probably out of Pippin too...Rosie will bat cleanup I'm sure...lol...S amson's breeder spins the hair & makes hats, scarves, & mittens out of it...My Great White Trio should keep her busy this year...lol!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:21:09 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 07:52:12 am »
Good Luck!  Brush, brush and then brush!  Our Newfies are already blowing coat too!  They were just groomed last week and it doesn't seem to matter, the tumbleweeds of Landseer hair X 3 are flying!  The vacuum gets a great workout this time of year!

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 08:04:51 am »
Oh, April! I feel for you. I love the looks of pyrs and newfies, all the full coated dogs but I do not envy you at this time of year. Mine shed year round, but at least at a manageable level! Good luck with your company, I hope they have a sense of humor...
Stella

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:28 am »
Haha you mean the tumble weeds stop?  It's a natural occurence at my house and Kali blows her coat after every bath my god it's a mess.  Plus with what our daily grooming gets out. Lacey sheds like crazy too. So hair everywhere...I am so not looking forward to Spring Shedout...two horses(one that looks like a wooly mammoth), two dogs, two cats. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 12:23:51 pm »
I dont know about the rest of you but my dogs often go a full 3 weeks before they are done blowing coat.  I think the length of time is effected by the weather.  A sudden onset of warmer weather and then it stays that way will cause it to blow faster.  In those springs that it comes and goes it takes longer for them to blow coat.  Bath first, save it in a bag.  You can sell it to spinners.  I have a hat made out of Pyr hair and it is so hot I cant wear it unless it's below zero out!  Snow started "snowing" last week...lol  Pyr blow X 4 this year.  Easiest season I've had for years...lol  Jackie

Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 02:25:34 pm »
I got a fluff ball about 10" in diameter out of one of my foster cats last night... and he was still losing fur and matting this morning. He's a 14-pounder with the worst oily skin and flakes I've ever seen. A good diet hasn't helped, but using pet bath wipes helps a bit. Sigh... Riley had a good brushing last night, too, and it just kept coming. I guess I'll be vacuuming even more than usual in the next few weeks.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 04:00:53 pm »
I got a fluff ball about 10" in diameter out of one of my foster cats last night... and he was still losing fur and matting this morning. He's a 14-pounder with the worst oily skin and flakes I've ever seen. A good diet hasn't helped, but using pet bath wipes helps a bit. Sigh... Riley had a good brushing last night, too, and it just kept coming. I guess I'll be vacuuming even more than usual in the next few weeks.
I have 2 cats with that same kind of skin & fur issue...Use Head & Shoulders shampoo on them...It works wonders!...Just make sure to rinse really good!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 04:13:19 pm »
Think we burn a lot of calories brushing these big guys out?  Can we count it as aerobics?  Takes LOTS of upper body strength....wh adda think?  1000 calories a session?  Please lie to me and say 'yes'!!! ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 07:10:44 pm »
Think we burn a lot of calories brushing these big guys out?  Can we count it as aerobics?  Takes LOTS of upper body strength....wh adda think?  1000 calories a session?  Please lie to me and say 'yes'!!! ;D

That's a good idea! I say YESS!!! ;)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 03:07:13 pm »
Great!...lol..I am sure we'll be starting here within the next few weeks...My God, last year Samson has a partial blow & we got a Hefty bag out of him...This yr. we'll get a full blow out of him & probably out of Pippin too...Rosie will bat cleanup I'm sure...lol...S amson's breeder spins the hair & makes hats, scarves, & mittens out of it...My Great White Trio should keep her busy this year...lol!

Can I take your pippin home with me?  ;D  I just want to snuggle him everytime I see him!
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead