Author Topic: Reminder to the BPO old people (Me included!)  (Read 6082 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Reminder to the BPO old people (Me included!)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 01:38:55 pm »
It makes me wonder how mixes like this can happen: http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/65f7d9ba-08b1.aspx

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 01:42:16 pm »
That's interesting.  Under where they have their website, it's a rescue site.

http://www.puppyfind2.com/
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 01:48:57 pm »
This does NOT look like a rescue to me! Why?

1) pups and dogs are not advertised as spayed/neutered or even spay/neuter included in adoption fee.

2) adoption fees are outrageous - more like breeder fees

3) why advertise that a "rescue" can be registered CKC, AKC or anywhere? Why would you care if a rescue is registered? A rescue can't (or SHOULDN'T be bred) because it will be (or SHOULD BE) altered!

4) funny how most of their "rescues" are the same cross-breeds as their new-fashion breeds!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 01:50:01 pm »
That's what I meant Jeanne (I'm slow today).  :(
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 01:51:56 pm »
That site should be called "leftovers" not "rescues".

My blood is boiling!

And, Ang, I knew you saw through that B.S. I just had to elaborate.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 02:46:22 pm by jjfritsche »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 02:01:15 pm »
It makes me wonder how mixes like this can happen: http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/65f7d9ba-08b1.aspx

Brandon, standard poodles are big dogs...

And then there is AI...

Sofia

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 02:03:17 pm »
Ohhh that is sooo pis..ing me off. It is hard enough to work in rescue without fake rescues around.....

I am always checking the class. in the paper, to see whats out there, and the other day I saw a big ad, saying "finally a pet store that sells pets, we always have at least 50 puppies for sale" and we all know where those puppies come from right? Puppy  mills.

We went the weekend before last, but they were closed, I am going to go there, being the stupid dog byer who wants a "christmas puppy" for my kids and see what I can figure out, if we have another puppy mill around here I sure would like to make life harder for them. We have had our share of closed down puppy mills in NC, just since I moved here 5 years ago. I hate it and will never get used to the idea of selling cats and dogs in a pet store.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 02:08:38 pm »
Well, they do require spay/neuter:

spay/neuter certificate must be returned to angel wings rescue .before the puppy reaches 6 months of age. you will see that he will make a much better and welbehaved family member.

http://www.puppyfind2.com/page2/index.html

I'm just looking around the website now.  What IS strange is that they only deal with puppies.

Sofia

Edited because: They do have a few adults, but the "adoption fees" are super high.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 02:35:10 pm by Good Hope »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 02:49:17 pm »
Well, they do require spay/neuter:

spay/neuter certificate must be returned to angel wings rescue .before the puppy reaches 6 months of age. you will see that he will make a much better and welbehaved family member.

http://www.puppyfind2.com/page2/index.html

I'm just looking around the website now.  What IS strange is that they only deal with puppies.

Sofia

Edited because: They do have a few adults, but the "adoption fees" are super high.

Yeah, but for $550+ "adoption" fee they should be ensuring those dogs are altered BEFORE they leave for their new homes! I wonder what their follow-up procedure is for that. Our adoption fee is only $75 - $150 and no dog leaves unspayed/neutered. For $550+ (if they are a legitimate rescue) they could spay/neuter those dogs TWICE!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 03:02:11 pm »
I think you are probably correct about them not being a legitimate rescue, but I thought I should point out that they do not want the dogs to be bred.

I don't think it is really right that they deal so much with puppies.  Why are they almost all puppies?  That, together with the fees, is the biggest "red flag," IMO.

I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone or gave them the wrong impression.

Sofia

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2005, 03:41:58 pm »
Yeah, I noticed they were almost all puppies as well.  On their contract page, it sounds very much like a bad breeder contract.  Starting on the top of the page, before you even get to the actual contract, it is going over no refund for this illness or that illness, and then lists all the things they may have, and what to do if they do have them.  I guess I'm not familiar with rescues anymore since I haven't adopted from one in years, but as far as I know, they don't word it quite like that.

Plus, most rescues do not ship out their dogs.  Most will only adopt w/i driving distance.  I think b/c they actually do have other dogs they are finding homes for they can call themselves a rescue, even though most of their dogs appear to be of their own breedings.  I don't think that is right, and don't think they should be able to call themselves a rescue, but I'm sure that is why they can get away with it.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2005, 05:30:23 pm »
Well a rescue can adopt out an animal who is not yet altered, BUT they would require a contract with the vet who is going to alter the dog once in the new owners care. AND that altering has to be pre paied by the new owner.

It is hard to adopt out these days, so a lot of rescue groups have a transportation network. MCR, we are transporting cats many hundreds miles. we set up legs and if the transport is really long, there are foster parents or the rescue transporter who will take the cat(s) in over night and then continue the transport the next day. BUT almost always there has to be a home visit done beforehand too.

I have never heard of a rescue group who's adoption fee is $ 500, for dogs everything from $ 75 to $ 250 is normal, the higher is mostly for "breed" rescue groups, and most rescue groups who has proven themselves are tax deductable.

There are a few things with this site that is just making the alarm go off.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 05:46:45 pm »
We have sent adoptions all over the country - Petfinder is the BEST! And, we either find transporters or the new family pays for transportation via airlines, etc. or comes and gets the pet. However, they don't leave until they are spayed/neutered unless they are going within a 60 mile radius where we can check on them ourselves - even then we have to be REALLY sure about the new home. However, many rescues will not adopt outside of a certain radius. I've found it's about 50/50 with rescues. I've NEVER seen adoption fees higher than $350 for a rescued dog - and, you're right - those are mainly with breed rescues.

Our contract states there are no guarantees as to health, etc. and the new family must agree to provide any medical treatment needed for the pet for the life of the pet. If for some reason, the family cannot keep the pet anymore, they MUST return it to us. They DO NOT get a refund! (We have a 3 day policy - if within 3 days of adoption, they decide the pet is not for them, they can return it for a refund of the adoption fee. After that 3 days, they do not get their money back, but MUST return the pet to us if they can no longer care for it).

This doesn't sound like a rescue contract to me either.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 12:55:02 am »
Ok I am game.....pract ice makes perfect Ang lol.

My "Not So Great Dane" designer pups are going to be the cutest little things....I think I will sell them for $1500!  They are going to be really big and they won't shed and they may even talk like Scooby Doo! 

I just want to know if they are going to drool or yap their heads off...Please p.m. me...ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! :D