Author Topic: Grey Newfoundlands?  (Read 22647 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Grey Newfoundlands?
« on: January 14, 2006, 06:58:09 pm »
I've been flicking through my Newf Photo's tonight, and came across some of a grey Newfie. I know very little about them, only that the dog pictured here is a puppy from an American import to the UK.

I was told that grey is now a recognised colour in the US. Is there anyone out there with one? can anyone fill me in on their history.

I'd love to know more about them.

Andy, Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Grey Newfoundlands?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 07:00:34 pm »
I don't know about them, in fact I've never heard of them before.  That pup sure is adorable.  The only thing I can think of is it must be a black pup with the dilute gene.  It's the same basis as the Blue Dane.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 07:14:46 pm »
We actually saw one after our BPO meet and greet in the fall and it was beautiful.  I've heard that they have more health problems (skin,  I think) than the other colors, though.  They are pretty rare.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:08:19 pm »
I've seen a few greys around and our breeder actually has a very old grey girl. She is still beautiful though. As for showing I am not sure though about it being recognized. I thought that black, brown and landseer were still it.  ???
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:45:52 pm »
I started a thread on this topic a little while ago:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,468.0.html

Grey Newfs are pretty cute, but rare and from what I hear, riddled with health problems.  From what it sounds like, they just have weaker genetics.  I have only seen one in person, pictured below at the Newfoundland Specialty in Monterey.  Very sweet dog.  Some other people have posted some cute Grey pics in the past too, the one pictured was a cutie named Nemo.  I personally prefer the look of traditional Black Newfs, but I wouldn't oppposed to getting a Brown one day.  So little time, so many Newfs....
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 01:29:35 pm »
I don't know much about grey newfies either.  We've met two...the one mentioned previously by newflvr and a puppy in Bella's litter.  They expected browns or maybe landseers and black puppies (based on the bloodlines), but were surprised by a grey.  Here is her photo:  (she's pretty cute, don't you think... of course, she's a puppy!  ::) )

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 01:35:21 pm »
I don't know much about grey newfies either.  We've met two...the one mentioned previously by newflvr and a puppy in Bella's litter.  They expected browns or maybe landseers and black puppies (based on the bloodlines), but were surprised by a grey.  Here is her photo:  (she's pretty cute, don't you think... of course, she's a puppy!  ::) )

Ahhh, a Newf pup.  Is there anything cuter?  Look at those floppy ears and those big paws!  I can't wait until our next one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:37:52 pm by Newf Lover »

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 03:09:22 pm »

Ahhh, a Newf pup.  Is there anything cuter?  Look at those floppy ears and those big paws!  I can't wait until our next one.

Thanks for the info on the previous thread about Grey Newfs, Interesting reading. I fully agree with your quote about the next one. I am currently convincing my wife Liz that it is time to move, I havn't yet told her the part about a Landseer and a Brown joining the family, but it will no doubt be a nice surprise for the future!

Andy Bell & Hovis

P.S. I thought I might share some of my BP pictures
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 03:26:49 pm »
Beautiful Berners....are they yours also?

I agree....what a wonderful surprise....a Landseer and a brown.  I'll be interested to hear what you think about the difference in the activity level.  I have always heard that blacks are the most laid back and then browns and Landseers are supposed to be the most active Newfs.  I've had three Landseers....a ll very quiet, calm and serene.  Chester, our brown pup, must be an odd-bot.  I've never seen such an active Newf!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 06:10:47 pm »
Cute Berners!  Drake has a pretty Berner girlfriend named Gigi, who lives around the corner but we never see her.  Here are the shots I was talking about previously.  Nemo the pup is so cute!  I was thinking about what Newflvr was saying about the different personalities of the different colored Newfs and that makes total sense.  I have noticed a little more hyperactivity in Brown Newfs.  This goes the same for other breeds like Labs.  Chocolate labs are a bit goofier than the Blacks and Yellows.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »
Nemo is gorgeous.  How was his health?? 

Funny you mentioned the color vs. personality thing.  After I wrote that and posted it, I started thinking about it more.  Why, do you think, the color would matter?  Chester's mom is a black (from Germany...Elvi ra doncha know  ;)) and his dad is a brown.  Do you think personality goes with the color gene????  So because he's brown, he got the brown personality?  Genetics are so interesting!!!

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 06:18:19 pm »
Hello... my Jinx has a gray brother named Nemo!!  He's 8 months now...wonder if they're one in the same?
Sami 
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 06:28:44 pm »
Welcome Sami!  I think that you are right.  I got that pic of Nemo from another BPO members picture post.  I think Nemo is the most handsome Grey Newf I have ever seen, Jinx is beautiful too. What a coincidence that you just signed up and I mentioned Nemo for the first time too.  Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 06:29:05 pm »
My Jinx had several siblings that were gray in her litter (one named Nemo :) but I haven't seen a recent picture of him, so I'm not sure if it's the same dog.  Anyway, her sire was gray and her dam was black w/gray recessive genes.  I have never heard they were considered rare or had more health problems than the other colors.  I'm curious to find out about that.... they are a recognized color by the AKC.  I think they are cute~
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 06:37:08 pm »
The BPO thread that I saw Nemo on was by 3snotenough, titled "Camp Newf Pics".  The link to his pictures was at:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/10CEA59C268C3F8

I think these are old pics and you might have seen them but maybe will help you.  All of the health issues for Greys have been told to me by others, it has never been medically proven to me.  But from learning basic genetics, I do know that with recessive genes there can be problems.  Who knows, you could have a Grey and they could be perfectly healthy and live a normal life.