Author Topic: Miss Ella 3 year old mastiff looking for a loving family check out her web site!  (Read 13062 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
One thing failed to be remembered.
It is HIS dog to give to as he chooses.

Instead of getting all offended, why not allow the
'rescue' part of your heart assist this man?
Maybe if we all spent half the energy assiting him as we have on this post complaining about him, she could of already been re-homed. Ever think about that?

If you feel you have the time and resources for this dog, why not prove it? Let him know why you have so many, why you feel you'd be a good placement for this dog and
invite him to your home? Prove your resources for vet care and feeding so many dogs. Let him see your home and yard.

I know many of you are advocates for the dog, not the human, but you need to have the human skills, compassion and
manor to deal with the human to get to the dogs. I find some of us who love animals lack the social skills needed to deal with humans. (JMO)

If this man prefers a home with not so many pets then that is his right and should be respected. My goodness at least he is not dumping her at a kill shelter or on a country road by some farm. She is a happy and healthy dog that needs to be re-homed, not nglected, under weight or ill.

Nicole

Where is she at anyway?

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
oops! Sorry I didn't know my mom was logged in! :-[ ;D
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Home Events About BFPA Contact BFPA Search 

Adopt 
Adopt from BFPA
Cat Adoption Center
Dog Adoption Center
Waggin' Tales

Volunteer 
Current Opportunities
Foster an Animal
Volunteer Form

Donate 
Donate to BFPA
Sponsor A Pet
Upcoming Fundraisers
Wish List
BFPA Partners

BFPA News Stand 
Just the FAQs
Topical & Timely
Search Central

Outreach 
Spay & Neuter
Lost & Found
Rehoming a Pet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address:
P.O. Box 5305
Cary, NC 27512

Phone:

Rehoming a Pet 
Take responsibility
If you are trying to find a new home for your personal pet, please be advised: BFPA does not accept personal pets into our rescue.

There are several reasons for this. The most telling is that we have limited resources. This means we are run entirely by volunteers, depend solely on donations from the public, and our rescued cats and dogs live in foster homes. Because of this, we must limit our rescue efforts to helping strays and abused/neglected animals.

In addition, BFPA believes strongly that when you bring a pet into your home, you are making a lifelong commitment to caring for that creature for the remainder of its life. If you feel you cannot keep that commitment it is incumbent upon you to find a good home for your pet.

Please, do not have the mind set that is the responsibility of Best Friend Pet Adoption -- or any other rescue or animal shelter -- to save your pet. When you bought or adopted that dog or cat, it became your responsibility . You know the animal the best. It is up to you to find the pet the best home.

We hope you will at least explore the possibility of finding a solution to the "problem" you think you have, and help make your dog or cat a true indisposable member of your family. If you do, that's one less dog or cat that needs a new home, perhaps clearing the way for an animal on death row in a shelter to find a home.

If your cat or dog has developed a behaviorial issue that appears beyond your control, please consult your vet. It's possible this change in behavior is related to a change in your pet's health status -- it could be in pain.

If after consulting your vet you determine this is not a medical issue, then please consult an animal behaviorist or trainer. There are several professionals listed in Search Central that BFPA recommends. These professionals can help most people work through the challenges they face with their pet. Many issues can be fixed in one or two sessions. While in the scheme of your animal's life, the economic investment is relatively small, it does require work and reinforcement on your part. But it is well worth a try if you believe modifying an undesirable behavior will mean you can keep your pet.

If health or behavior issues are not the reason you are considering finding a home for your cat or dog, click here for excellent information to help you resolve issues you may be facing.

If none of these suggestions are viable options, or possible solutions, we ask you to consider:

If you got your cat or dog from a breeder or adopted from a rescue group, contact them, as they should in good conscience take the animal back.

Animal shelters are not the solution -- and this cannot be emphasized enough. They are very limited. No-kill shelters take only the most adoptable animals, if they have any space at all. Kill shelters are obligated by law to keep strays for a certain amount of time in case their owners are frantically looking for them. Owner surrender pets usually are put to death the very day you leave the shelter's parking lot.

Never consider turning your pet, or a litter of puppies or kittens, loose "out in the country". This is the cruelest fate any domestic pet could meet. The fear, abuse, and suffering they will encounter is heartbreaking if they even manage to survive at all. A quick death by needle injection at your vet's office is a much more preferable end -- and more humane.

Help for rehoming your pet can be found in an excellent guide composed by our colleagues at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah. Click here to access that guide.

For more tips on finding a suitable home for your personal pet, go to the Lost & Found section of this Web site and access "I found a stray/pet."
Finally, our advice is don't fool yourself. Unless you put in the time and effort to find a good, permanent home for your dog or cat, there is a very high possibility that not keeping your pet will result in its death. If you are down to the decision to take your dog or cat to a shelter, you are most likely giving your pet a death sentence. Euthanasia by your vet is more humane

Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I need to point out that the people commenting on this post are the people that have put uncountable hours and effort into the rescue and foster of multiple animals.  Before pointing a finger, please look back at the other rescue posts.  You will see the hardwork and compassion that these people put forth on a daily basis.

Do you mean pointing fingers as in the ones who are harsh about this man re-homing his dog?
Or me for saying kuddo's to this man for not just dumping this dog at a shelter or one of our many bursting at the seams rescue groups?
I too have countless hours, I started at 14 as a volunteer at a shelter. I am nearly 45.
I have 8 indoor cats and one outdorr cat for a total of 9 and 2 dogs, I also foster for 2 groups and do my own private rescues.
All I am saying is before we call this man a hypocrite, look at what he could of done and look at what he is trying to do. There were so many other 'easy' way outs.
Now unknowing to him he is getting slammed on some website he most likely knows nothing about.

Sometimes people have the best of intentions and then 'life' happens. Sometimes beyond our control and sometimes in our control.
He isn't dumping her on someones door step or on a back country road. She is much better off with someone who can give her the attention she deserves if he cannot provide this for her, Has anyone ever thought he may have other issues that he may of felt was no ones business so he didn't put it on his web site, Maybe a child born with special needs? Wife going through postnatal depression?
I wasn't pointing fingers, just giving credit where credit was due and also give others judging this person something to think about and to consider.
Believe me I have been guilty of being to judgemental myself. I just recently had to be called to the carpet on it myself.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:01:10 pm by MSF »

Gypsy Jazmine

Not that I feel I should have to defend myself on this issue- my point is this... I am near enough to him where I could drive over and pick her up, BUT... I am not *qualified*, as I already have two females purchased from a breeder, one rescue boy, and my foster girl just left for her forever home two weekends ago.  I also have four cats, and chinchillas, which, by his own words, makes me a collector.  What right does HE have to accuse me of that???  How many of you guys here would tell me I would not give this girl the best home she could ever have for the rest of her life???
Amen Amani's Mom!!!...I have 8 house cats, 2 house bunnies, a guinea pig princess, & my 3 dogs..PLUS my 2 skin kids...I have the time, money, space, energy & love for all of them...My 2nd child was born 15 months after my 1st & I still managed & nobody went without ever...Am I a collector?...It doesn't feel like it...Nobody here ever does without...They are my life...That's what I do...I understand your irritation at his words...I know people with one or two furry friends that don't care or do nearly as well as we do.
edited to add, Oh I still find time, energy, love & money to rescue too...If all of that makes me a collector, I know many many animals who live happy lives today because I "collected" them! ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:27:32 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Amani's Mom, if you feel that strongly, why not call him again? Tell him you feel confidant you'd be a great home for Ella and you understand his concerns and would like to invite him to your place and show him what a great place you have to offer Ella.
Assure him you can provide for her.
It can't hurt.
A person can't say no if you don't ask and sometimes poliet persistance pays off.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Amani's mom, I agree, you should contact him and let him know also that by his standards his baby could be missing out on a wonderful home.  Yes, it's ultimately his decision, as it should be, but come on!!  I would love to inquire but I live in AL and I don't OWN my home.  I can understand that to a point also, many people have to rehome their animals because they can't find a place that will allow them.  I however, don't move into a place where I can't have my animals, and before anyone blasts me for saying that hold your fingers, I'm also very fortunate that I have places that they can go if need be until I do find a place that will accept them.  I think you should inquire, all he can do is say no.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
As I said I was debating on contacting him.  As some of you know I've been wanting (but waiting for the right one) to get another big paw since Navarre died.  After I posted on this thread this morning, like literally a half hour later, my mom calls me and tells me that she's contacted him about me.  She said when she saw Ella she thought that's Heather's dog!  How weird is that!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: Miss Ella 3 year old mastiff looking for a loving family check out her web s
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 05:08:53 am »
navarre1316, are you going to contact him your self now?  I think that you should, it might be good to talk to him.  The dog is gorgeous and sounds to me like am awesome well behaved dog.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Yes I did.  Now it's just a wait and see!! 

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.   ;D

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Good luck, to both you and Ella!
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
He did respond to my email.  His one curiosity, and quite frankly mine too is how I would get her to Mobile.  I think he wants prospective owners to meet her first, which I totally understand, but I don't know when I would be able to do that.  He said he has a couple of local people that are coming to look at her too.  So I just told him to let me know how those meetings went and to let me know if I was even a prospect.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: Miss Ella 3 year old mastiff looking for a loving family check out her web s
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 09:02:24 am »
How far away are you from him? 
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com