Author Topic: caine went after somebody...  (Read 5381 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: caine went after somebody...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 03:16:10 am »
as for a life coach, yes, actually i'm trying to find one to help me learn how to "cope" with stress, and how to deal with problems that irk me (the kids misbehaving, etc).  with all the ups and downs going on in our lives, it's really hard to stay on top of things (i stress extremely easy). 

caine is extremely submissive to people / dogs.  when he's approached or if he comes to you, he immediately rolls over.  even on walks, if someone approaches him he flips over and sticks all 4 legs in the air.  i talked to a trainer this morning, and amazingly (or not so much) she came to our house, and he rolled over when he met her.  at the fence?  yeah, he rolled over.  she had her male friend come up yelling at him.  he just sat down and looked at him like he was crazy.  no barking, growling, nothing.  mind you i was inside so she could see his reaction when i'm not in the yard and then after that when i was.  we didn't get a chance to see his reaction from the neighbors yard though.  regardless he is going into training, and he is on the NILIF program as of yesterday (again).  the trainer made the comment that it may just be that one side of the fence he guards, because of whatever reason.  i somewhat agree, because the construction workers, etc, have always been on the front of the fence.  brandon got his hand bit on the neighbor's side (same side of the neighbor from yesterday) of the fence and now the problem yesterday with that side of the fence.  i just don't understand why though.

putting up a kennel would be very hard in our yard, because it's on a down slope, but also has a ton of mini hills from side to side, we don't even have a level enough place to put a table without problems, but if it came down to it we would put down a concrete floor and a kennel.  the un-levelness of our yard is why we opted for the tie out, which i forgot to add he is only on when i'm outside and watching him.  he can still get to everybody, he just can't get to any fence lines.  we thought that would be the best option for right now, until we can get something permanent up, or fix his behavior.  with the long training leash, i'm just afraid that he wouldn't realize he was on it if he saw a squirrel, etc and take off with me on the end.

caine is a really great dog overall.  this all just recently started.  he doesn't steal food, he does obedience on command, etc.  his only issues are when he gets bored he wants to go outside (and screams to get it, but we have been ignoring that except at night when the first time we put him out to potty, BUT we only do this once after we go to bed).  other than that i just get off the phone, or tell him to "shut up" and he typically stops after a bit unless i'm not in the room then i just ignore him and he shuts up eventually.  it is aggravating, but i have to admit, it is super boring in the house, esp. for him since he's the only dog who ever wants to play.  i wonder though, if he's screaming when i leave the room because when i do i crate him and he's the only one who needs to be crated?  nobody else gets into stuff, but caine will eat anything on the floor, or couch which i'm scared will cause a prob if it's a pen, toy, etc.  he's already proven he'll eat anything, since he's eaten a lighter, coke can, etc so that's why i don't feel good about leaving him out unsupervised.  he only gets crated when i'm not in the room, or leaving the house, etc.

as for the neutering recently, i do see how that would still not affect his behavior.  i guess the testosterone related behavior can only get better from here on out. 

i also do agree that was doing his job, the problem though, is that he's protecting the neighbors yard too.  if it was just our yard, no problem, but when he goes into her yard to "ward off evil people" it's a whole new story.  hubby was asking for it, too, when he reached over from her yard.  like i told him, if he's barking he's obviously not comfortable so why are you going to reach over the fence to "calm him."

the basket muzzle is a great idea.  i didn't think of that, honestly.  i know the nylon ones are super easy to get out of, and not all that great to start with.  i'm going to look at some, and try to find one i can put on him when he's in the yard.  that way if by some odd chance he happens to get away, he won't be able to do anything.  like i said though, we got the tie out and a harness, and i've been walking him to the tie out on a leash to be 100% sure he can't dart out the yard, etc.  we got a 40 ft one, and i just have to watch and untangle him when he gets hung up.

with the kids, i'm not worried about caine biting them.  he's great with them, and loves kids soooooooooooo much.  granted no matter what, our kids aren't allowed to touch the dogs when they're sleeping, go around their bowls when they're eating, etc.  the only people i worry about are strangers at the fence (which in my opinion they shouldn't be there to start with unless i'm with them).
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]