Author Topic: Ramp recommendations?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Ramp recommendations?
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:17:20 am »
After owning a Nissan Sentra for years but soon learning a compact car and growing dog aren’t super compatible, we bought a small SUV this weekend (a Honda CRV).

Though Max has no apparent hip problems yet, I’m not comfortable having him jump down out of the car repeatedly.

Ramps I’ve found online range in price (some more than $150).  Does anyone have any recommendation s that are reasonable in price and weight?

We also thought about building a ramp ourselves.  However, with the back seats pushed forward, we have about 4 feet in length to work with (when storing the ramp inside the car).  The ramp then would be at a very steep angle that just doesn’t seem climbable.

Thanks.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Ramp recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:24:18 am »
Wait until you teach the 'up' command LOL..Zero looked at me like I had 10 heads...I was the same way..picking him up and putting him in...with my Jetta...then I got the Pilot

Chara at 15wks old was pretty much jumping in and out and Zero does the same finally...Then i figured ahh well, there're dogs...

They sell ramps too

I know petsmart has some stairs but I am not sure how much they cost

here is one I found...but it is $169.00

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?coe=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-43701%3a-43706%3a-44728%3a-44765%3a966892&mt=a&n=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0486576268.1140102872_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccdeaddgmfijlifcfkfcfkjdgoodflh.0

Good Luck
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 11:27:29 am by BabsT »
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 11:30:30 am »
I don't know of any ramp companies but if your fairly handy you could probably create a collapsable ramp.  If you make it the ramp should have two or more supports and have the footpath fold in half it may work.  Make it like a folding chair.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 12:01:51 pm »
Hi,

Winslow loves his!! It is very easy to handle and every time we take it out of the Truck all the other Big Dog Owners say WOW where can I get that!!

There is a big www.dogramp.co m print on the side. So I show them and they go get one.

I highly recomend it!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

DakotaMom

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 12:14:43 pm »
I use a ramp similar to this. It was very easy to teach the puppies to use it. Dakota however will only use it to go down. He can be such a stinker.

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:04:04 pm »
Just ordered the dogramp ($90 + 20 s/h through ebay but still through dogramp.com).  We bought materials to build a ramp, but last night had second thoughts and returned everything.  I was worried we'd spend a lot of time and end up with a ramp that I wouldn't even want a chihuahua to use.
Thanks for your help!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 03:08:04 pm »
I just say up and in they go.

I plan to get a step that hooks into the trailer hitch and swings under the car when not in use.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs