Author Topic: Okay, here's the scoop on the breeder  (Read 8555 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Okay, here's the scoop on the breeder
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:36:22 pm »
So I checked this guy's place out. He had 19 dogs kept outside only in mini-yards (I'm guessing 20 ft. by 40 ft.), usually with more than one dog per yard. They didn't have much in the way of shelter-each had an overhang/little building thing, but it wouldn't provide any shelter from the rain (too narrow) and not much from the sun, depending on the angle.

He had 3 bloodhounds, 2 mountain dogs, and the rest were Saints and Newfs. He said that he usually charges $1000, but he had three litters of Newfs in November. He had three from the previous two litters. Two had eye issues (lots and lots of drainage) and were very timid-one wouldn't even smell my hands). The other was outgoing, jumpy, seemed healthy. Then he had 8 more. They were all skittish, didn't seem to even know him. They were 10 weeks old. The adult dogs were either rambuctous (jumping up and slamming against the cages for attention) or scared to meet me (I'm guessing it was me and not him, but these were saints and newfs that you'd expect to be social).

The puppies were kept in a barn. They were in 7'x7' pens with concrete floors. He told me he usually has hay in them, and there was hay in the barn itself, just not in the pens. There were windows that they could walk through to go outside into pens that were about one and half times the size of the pen they were in. The three older pups (12 weeks, he said) were in one pen, and the 8 younger pups (10 weeks) were in another. A third one was empty. They were being fed Purina Dog Chow. He said the puppies wouldn't eat it, so he had to put some canned food in their food. He figured they didn't like the taste, he said, but he said that is all the adult dogs got.

The adult dogs that were happy to see a new person were very friendly, just wild, like I said. But I guess if they get almost no human interaction, they would be. They had mats in their hair and were quite dirty, but not excessively so. Most all of them had water (I noticed one dog had an empty bowl and commented on it). I couldn't see if some of their bowls had water.

He came right out and said that the dogs are better the more time you spend with them and that he just didn't have enough time to spend with them. I wanted to say, then why the heck are you doing this? But I didn't.

The way I see it, the only thing I can report him on is the not-so-great shelter and an empty dog water bowl. Can you report a breeder like this for not socializing his animals or not spending enough time with them?

He told me his puppies were usually $1000, but now they were $500 for females and $700 for males so that he could "move them". I asked about the older female and male and he said they were $500, too. I asked about the one outgoing puppy, and he said she was $1000 b/c she had such a great personality (but they all would if he socialized them!).

I really wanted to take the older female or male out of there... especially the male, as he was on his own in a smaller pen. The female was with another female and the male that he uses as his stud. The male seemed to have issues with other males, and Riley is right near his age (7.5 months). The female was friendly enough, but she was wild. She had to be about 150 pounds, and she had no idea that she couldn't jump up at people. She was taller than me when she stood and she'd throw all her weight at the fence. She was a doll, though, just completely untrained. I couldn't decide whether to take her (wasn't sure how to get us all home safely, as I brought my dogs with me and I drive a Jeep), take a puppy, or just walk away. I just felt so bad for all of them... I ended up getting the least scared of the 8 puppies. The rest of them literally screamed when you picked them up. They were scared out of their minds. She clung to me when I picked her up and seemed to show a little interest in me after that (well, she looked at me, the others cowered in corners and hid... this was after they were all inside-originally, they were hiding outside, and when we went out there, they either ran inside or hid in holes they'd dug under the concrete of the building).

So what now? I really shouldn't have a third dog right now (I rent, though I'm hoping to move very soon), but I couldn't leave them all there. Who do I report him to? If I report him, what do I say? What is important to note (other than they need better shelter, constant water supplies, etc.)? Can I mention that he doesn't socialize them? There were 30 dogs total, assuming my count of 19 outside was right. One thing that really got me was he baby talked them and seemed to care, but why doesn't he do more? 

I'm sorry this is so long. There are probably people out there with worse breeding practices, but you've got to be doing a pretty bad job to end up with scared and unsocialized Saints and Newfs, don't you?

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, here's the scoop on the breeder
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 05:42:14 pm »
I bathed the puppy, and here she is, post bath.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 05:43:02 pm »
Well...the first thing that you can check into is licensing. I know where I'm from, you have to have a special license to have more than four animals (cats or dogs) period. So, that might be one route.

The other thing you might do is be straight with him....call him back up, tell him that you noticed that he seemed overwhelmed, you know he loves the dogs, wouldn't he love for them to have loving homes where they get enough attention, etc. etc. And ask him if he would be willing to just get some out of there for cheap (or free) or something like that..and your BPO friends can help you out!

Umm..and HELLO?! YOU GOT A PUPPY AND DIDN"T PUT ANY PICS UP?! Shame, shame, shame....

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 05:44:26 pm »
Wow, tough call. Maybe call a rescue organization and tell them exactly what you've told us and see what they recommend as far as a next step? Maybe someone from a rescue can pay a visit and determine what the next step should be?

You really have a big heart to do all this. Your dogs are very lucky to have you :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 05:45:36 pm »
Do you think I can get a rescue group to go out there and adopt the older Newfoundlands? I don't want to support what he's doing (I know that taking a puppy does, but how to do you walk away from dogs that are slowly becoming less and less comfortable around humans?), but I don't know what else to do about it. I think I may call him and try to reason with him, but I don't know that that is going to get me anywhere.

*Mom2Sadie, I think we posted at the same time. :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 05:46:57 pm by macybean »

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 05:47:36 pm »
Oh puppy is beautiful. Congrats on the new baby! What's her name?
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 05:50:31 pm »
I haven't named her. I'm not even sure what to do with her-like I said, it's not the best time to add a puppy (looking to buy but currently rent), and I wasn't going into this looking to get one so much as looking to take one out of that environment. That said, she is cute and boy are puppies easy to attach to...

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 06:01:01 pm »
Do you think I can get a rescue group to go out there and adopt the older Newfoundlands? I don't want to support what he's doing (I know that taking a puppy does, but how to do you walk away from dogs that are slowly becoming less and less comfortable around humans?), but I don't know what else to do about it. I think I may call him and try to reason with him, but I don't know that that is going to get me anywhere.

*Mom2Sadie, I think we posted at the same time. :)

Looks that way:)

I think that's a good idea. They will probably be able to get someone to check it out at least and help place the older dogs in good homes.

Again, I really admire what you did. Big paws in need are lucky there are people like you out there.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:01:07 pm »
Hehehe...I think you meant that you and I posted at the same time...I think you were referring to the pics, eh?

Anyway...cute pic!!! She was obviously going to be hard to resist! Well, you did a super loving thing for her! I feel terrible thinking about all of those unsocialized doggies.

It just seems like if the guy seems to care, and openly admits he doesn't get to spend enough time with all of them...he might be willing to let some go to rescues or rescue situations. It sounds like you might be able to reason with the guy.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 06:01:35 pm »
If you know anyone in the local police department you can find out the regulations in the area that the breeder is in.  Like if he is inside or outside city limits that will sometimes change the regulations.  They can also go out on a call for excessive noise if someone were to complain and check out the situation.  Of course that is if he is in the city limits and has neighbors.

Kat   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:03:09 pm »
I'd say try the Aspca aren't they big in the area?  Report them and see if they can help make the situation better or just give a heads up to them.  I wish I had my own place...I'd rescue one but I'm in college and my dad would flip. Keep us updated and the puppy looks so cute.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 07:07:38 pm »
Alot of times you can easily find out your city's animal control ordinances. Ours are online on our city government's website. Try googling the name of your town and city, sometimes stuff comes up that you didn't know existed!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 07:31:52 pm »
He lives a few counties away, in the country. There is a town nearby, but I don't think he's within their city limits even. I will look up the county's laws and regulations to see if there is anything on pets. In the meantime, I think I will call him and reason with him. I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow around noon (I have a soccer game in the morning).

What should I say? I don't want to offend him, so I guess I'll start with how much he obviously cares for his dogs and go from there...

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 07:55:53 pm »
If you don't want to offend him you can try telling him that you showed your new puppy to some of your friends and they are interested in puppies/adults.  Then tell him that while they can take wonderful care of the new addition they just can't pay the high prices and since you knew he had some older dogs and puppies would he be willing to come down on his prices to find good homes for his dogs.  At least that's a start for you.  By the way, that puppy is so cute. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:39:19 pm »
But maybe phrase it as like, they would be helping him out since he clearly loves them so much...wouldn't he want them to be in a situation where they could get lots of one-on-one....that sort of thing. I think that calling the law on him is a good plan, but probably only as a last resort kinda thing.

And if any Newfies need to come to Indiana, hahahha...just let me give you my address! ;) Seriously, though. If you are able to get him to come off of any of them and need help..umm...I don't know where you're at...but my place is always an option. Although, I've learned recently that transport can be INSANE!