Author Topic: Jazzy passed out!  (Read 11019 times)

Offline onederpupe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Jazzy passed out!
« on: June 24, 2005, 01:14:47 pm »
Yesterday Jazzy started to puke so we went outside, she always lets me know, when she is going to be sick. She tried and tried to throw up, finally she did, but then she reared up and literally fell over on her side. She laid there not moving for a second, I am screaming her name and trying to get to her as fast as possible. I got to her, touched her and she sprang to life. I started crying, what just happened? She seemed fine and got up and continued to be herself. I called my vet and he said that she could have choked and cut of her air supply, causing her to pass out. She is fine today and last night she was fine, but I am so scared that something is wrong! I am afraid to leave her side. She is my baby and yes my world revolves around my Jazzy. My husband always says if I had to chose between them I would chose Jazz. This time he is 100% right LOL
So everyone has this ever happened to any of you? Please let me know my Rotti died of a brain tumor at 10 years old and it was so tramatic, I am a little over protective with Jazz I'm sure, but it is better to be safe then sorry. Thanks for any input.
onederpupe

Offline bonnieblink

• Gnawer
  • QuietWood Mastiffs
    • View Profile
    • QuietWood Mastiffs, Spinoni Italiani and Otterhounds
Re: Jazzy passed out!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:42:10 pm »
I think your vet needs to see Jazzy and listen to her heart.  Fainting can occur when a dog has heart problems.  In the beginning, they can seem fine until they are stressed or exercise and vomiting can stress the dog and put a strain on a bad heart.

Hopefully, your vets first assessment based on your report over the phone is all it was.  But better safe than sorry.  Your vet should be able to hear a heart murmer, but then may refer you to a cardiologist for more thorough testing if necessary.

Hope Jazzy is fine!

Bonnie Blink
QuietWood Mastiffs, Spinoni Italiani and one silly Otterhound

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:01:08 pm »
How frightening for you & Jazzy!..I would have freaked too!...Sending prayers that it was just a fluke incident!

Offline onederpupe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 02:06:11 pm »
I took her this morning to the vet, the are doing a work up. She listen to her heart and could fine nothing wrong. The blood work might fined a cause, who knows? Jazzy is just fine this morning, as she was last night. Me on the other hand, well needless to say I did not sleep well. I kept checking her, as she slept upside down, in between us, snoring up a storm. She always sleeps upside down with her butt in our faces, yea what a view. LOL But after Mario leaves for work at 5am, she moves to my side and has to be spooning with me. I have to put my arm around her and she puts her head on my pillow. She sleeps that way till we get up. She is so odd! She is having a great day today, we are chasing squirrels, her favorite pastime. The squirrels love to tease her, they know just how far away they have to be to get away. So I guess we just have to wait and see. Thanks for your support, right now I really need it.
onederpupe

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 05:20:20 pm »
POOR YOU!  How awful!!!

It does sound like it could be "petit mal" or a very mild form of epilepsy.  Cowboy has the really bad form...epileps y with clutser seizures (with urination and defication!) and what we found out during diagnosis is that with an epileptic, they are ALWAYS fine between seizures.  That's one of the clues if all his tests come back normal.  They also usually live a completely normal life once they are on medication with a normal life span.  They may suggest that you just watch him for any signs of another "spell" and you could be lucky enough to have it be a one-time only deal!  That's pretty common.  Even if he does have another one, if it's not followed immediately by another (within about 20 minutes) you may not have to go on meds if there is a long period between seizures (like months - years).  There is SO much info. on this stuff on the web and  there is so much support.  Cowboy, as awful as it has been for him is having a good life!

Offline onederpupe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 07:17:57 pm »
I just want to thank all of you for being there for me when I was totally freaked out. It is so nice to have people who understand the connection one has with their furchild. My family thinks I am borderline nutso because I care so much for my baby. I really appreciate you guys beibg there, I am so glad I found this place.
onederpupe aka Kelly

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 08:06:28 pm »
"We are bordline nutso" when it comes to our babies.  I spend bout 80% of my day doing something (petting, feeding, cooking for, reading about, walking, thinking about) for my babies.  I find I don't want to watch tv or even read as much, the time is so much better spent on my babies.   
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 10:31:09 pm »
Boderline nutso?...You say that like it's a bad thang! ;) ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 10:53:15 pm »
Hmmmm.   My walls are padded with newfie hair and laquered in drool...I guess we are nutso...but happy!!!

Offline onederpupe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 03:51:53 am »
When I was married the first time, in the late 60's, we had 3 Saints and I never could keep my rug clean. In fact I don't even remember the color of it because I never saw it. I can relate to drool wallpaper and wet laps.
My big boy Cosmo use to drink water, then run over to me and put his head in my lap dumping at least a pint of water on me. I know he did it on purpose, he thought it was just grand to wet the mommy. LOL
pnederpupe

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 05:06:58 am »
Onederpupe,  Please keep us updated on Jazz, we are thikning of you are your baby and yes I am boderline nutso and I LOVE IT ;D .....lol

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 07:17:56 am »
"Boderline nutso" and would not have it any other way.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 08:53:39 am »
Kelly
Sorry to hear about your Jazzy. Hope everything works out and there is nothing wrong. Let us know when you get the test results.
Borderline nutso??? I think we are just plain old nutso. LOL Its a great place to be.  ;D
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline onederpupe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 01:21:59 pm »
Geez you guys are great! I am really new to this pc thing, I have only had a computer for 6 months so if I do a boo boo forgive me. I finally feel as if I am connected to people thru this site. Okay connected to nutso's but it is so nice to be able to talk to other nuts. I will keep everyone posted on how the Jazzdog is doing. She is back to her normal, nutty self and I am so thankful to have her and YA'LL. I really look forward to clicking on to this site and reading all the stories. I will keep you updated on what is happening up here in Vancouver Washington.
onederpupe

PS I would love to know where all of you guys live. It amazes me that you can talk to people from worlds away from yours.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 05:30:58 pm »
Cowboy, Chester (the Newfs) and I live with our family in Southern California.  I have four adult-ish kids...3 boys and a girl.  I love them, but since it's better for ALL of us that they have their own lives, the Newfs are the very best subsitute!!!  (and they won't be teenagers wanting to drive!!!)