Author Topic: Question for Newfie Owners, especially the Females  (Read 6150 times)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Question for Newfie Owners, especially the Females
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
Someone at work (female co-worker) told me that Newfie's go a little funny during a woman's 'time of the month'.

Do you gals notice that your Newfie's are different during your 'time of the month'?

Would anyone know where this co-worker got this idea, if what I asked isn't true??

Thanks
Ruta

doggylover

Re: Question for Newfie Owners, especially the Females
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:39:57 pm »
I have definately noticed a change in my dog, and moreso in my hubby when I'm at that 'time' of the month.  I notice that hubby and pookie are suddenly annoying.  They make no sense, quickly making me angry.  They get all clingy and insist on living in the same house with me, even though I clearly need space.  They follow me around looking worried, and sometimes, they go out to the yard to tinker around and avoid me if I look (reasonably) upset. 
Are these the things you mean?  I hope this helped!
 :) :D ;D ;) 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:04:11 pm »
Nothing noticably different here to report. Bear is always attentive and loving as is the hubby.  ;D If anyone is wierd around here it is me..crabby, bloated and all.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 08:14:41 pm »
I have heard of this before,not only about Newfs, but all breeds and IMO it is a crock. The reasoning behind it is that the smell of the blood makes them 'go funny', that they may be more inclined to attack a woman during her time of the month because they smell more like wounded prey. I think that the only reason that a dog may seem a little different during that 'time', would be because they detect Mom not feeling so great, and that bothers them. This is a common belief in a little hick community I used to live, and it drove my crazy.... ::).
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:20:48 pm »
I have definately noticed a change in my dog, and moreso in my hubby when I'm at that 'time' of the month.  I notice that hubby and pookie are suddenly annoying.  They make no sense, quickly making me angry.  They get all clingy and insist on living in the same house with me, even though I clearly need space.  They follow me around looking worried, and sometimes, they go out to the yard to tinker around and avoid me if I look (reasonably) upset. 
Hey!...That happens at my house too! :D Everyone here turns wierd, clingy & annoying!...& you know what really irks me?...It's that annoying way they all keep breathing IN & OUT in that really exagerated way & THEY WILL NOT STOP!!!!!!!!!...Now that's enough to push me right over the edge! >:(

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 08:32:32 pm »
Hey!...That happens at my house too! :D Everyone here turns wierd, clingy & annoying!...& you know what really irks me?...It's that annoying way they all keep breathing IN & OUT in that really exagerated way & THEY WILL NOT STOP!!!!!!!!!...Now that's enough to push me right over the edge! >:(
Exactly!  You caught my drift!
LOLOLOLOL

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:49:05 pm »
Exactly!  You caught my drift!
LOLOLOLOL

Oh I hear ya' sista' friend!!! ;) ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:13:10 am »
Yep....all the above is true in this house too.  Thing is, if it truly was "a jury of my peers", I wouldn't be convicted of getting rid of them, just at certain times of the month, doncha know! ;)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 11:45:20 am »
There are generally lots and lots of chores that need doing outside at that time :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:56:43 pm »
Well that explains it EastJenn.. Bears = Newfies  ;D
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 02:30:16 pm »
Sometimes I get extra butt sniffs but other than that...no change.  He does try to eat the trash more around that time.  But since there are two of us covering two weeks each month, the poor boy would wear himself out.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 09:05:51 pm »
I have heard of this before,not only about Newfs, but all breeds and IMO it is a crock. The reasoning behind it is that the smell of the blood makes them 'go funny', that they may be more inclined to attack a woman during her time of the month because they smell more like wounded prey. I think that the only reason that a dog may seem a little different during that 'time', would be because they detect Mom not feeling so great, and that bothers them. This is a common belief in a little hick community I used to live, and it drove my crazy.... ::).

I had somehow missed this thread until today, and after reading it, ALL I can think about is Anchorman, where the newsteam is discussing women anchors and Brick says, "I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation."

Now, I cannot for the life of me stop laughing!  :D

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 07:26:24 am »
Sadie hasn't acted any differently that I've noticed. This past month my kitty Gus decided it was a good time to step on and knead Mommy's chest...he won't be doing that again ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge