Author Topic: Company over = crazy dog....Suggestions?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Company over = crazy dog....Suggestions?
« on: May 22, 2006, 07:32:33 am »
Looking for suggestions on how to handle a dog that gets very excited when company comes over.

For example…Our in-laws came over for supper yesterday.  Max, our 16 month saint, barrels towards the front door to greet them.  They come in and he’s all over them.  He grabs my mother-in-law’s purse and then drops it, tries grabbing my father-in-laws jacket, grabs my shoe and runs (he always seems to grab a shoe when company comes over, but never when we’re home alone).  Later, he started grabbing at my mother-in-law’s pant leg and almost knocked her over.

What we’re looking for is ideas on how to handle situations like this.  Last night, I’m guessing Max had more than normal energy built up since he’s been homebound because of a knee injury two weeks ago.  However, his excitement level was pretty close to normal.  He even occasionally jumps (or tries to) on a guest.

We don’t want people to avoid coming over because a 140 pound dog forcefully greets them at the door.  He’s a growing boy, and I also don’t want either guests or Max getting hurt.

We’ve tried getting him used to people coming over by my husband or me ringing the doorbell and pretending we’re guests, but of course, we just don’t get the same response.  We’re old news.  :)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Company over = crazy dog....Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:51:17 am »
As Melissa said, keep him on the leash and ask him to settle.  Have your guests ignore him until he calms down.  Let him sniff them when he's quiet then let the guests say hi to him and give him attention.  Your best bet would be to make him sit right next to one of you while the other person greets everyone.  Have a good friend come over a few times and let them know the ground rules of not looking, touching or talking to the dog.  Then gradually add more people.  He should pick it up fairly quickly but is liable to pitch a fit the first few times.  Also take turns while practicing so that he'll listen to both of you.  If there are any other things that make him really excited you can use those to teach the settle command too.  Good Luck.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:02:26 am »
Melissa & Chaos have offered the same advise I'd give...I could only add that if possible get him out for a nice long walk before company arrives or play hard with him in the yard if that's possible...As far as the jumping on people goes...You can train him to stop that by stepping in towards him when he jumps up & closing the space between you...Once he is acting appropriatly be quick to pet, praise & treat...This shouldn't take long for him to get...Good luck!....B.t.w., you don't know how lucky you are to have a dog that loves company!....I have two that think anything that comes in the front door is THE DEVIL & the barking is maddening! :-\ :D :-\

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:12:50 am »
When we were training Barkley and Sheba not to greet everyone's crotch that walked in the door, we also asked people not to make a fuss over the dogs.  One of us would remain with the dogs in "their" space (the doorway between the kitchen and living room) reminding them to stay while people arrived.  Once everyone was settled, then we'd allow them up for a short hello pat before they were either put outside or told to go back to their spots. It's amazing how people can quickly forget that there are two dogs with a combined weight of over 220 lbs in the living room with you when they're properly trained.  Well except for the occasional drool fling that is  ::)  ::) 
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 10:44:17 pm »
LOL my advice is that you combine all of the wonderful advice given in this thread by these bpo fanatics, it is all right on.  I would also add that you should have 'calm assertive' energy! :D

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:05:01 am »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  We are having company over this Saturday, so I hope to put the suggestions to use.