Author Topic: How Level is your Saint?  (Read 13050 times)

Offline StBernardGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: How Level is your Saint?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 09:29:49 pm »
Is bubba a smooth or rough coat?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 09:38:36 pm »
You're referring to what I like to call "Puppy Uglies".  Danes get them alot because it seems only one body part grows at a time and it does it totally out of proportion to the rest of it's body.  Like their nose will start growing but not the rest of their head, or their butt will be almost as high as their ears. 

As for the price requested by repuatable breeders, I have a link somewhere that has rough estimates of how much it costs to produce a high quality litter, but I just have to find it first.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 09:45:50 pm »
People who buy dogs from back yard breeders do get a lot of slack but mostly it's from registered breeders.  I sometimes feel that it's all a money scam.  A lot of breeders say they breed to better the breed but if that was the case, how does one justify charging ungodly prices?  I mean really.  $1500 dollars?  That's not bettering the breed to me.  It sounds more like a money issue.  I'm kind of getting totally against breeding in general.  Back yard or otherwise.  I think my next dog will be a rescue dog.  I can't justify buying a dog when there are so many in the shelters.  On the plus side, if we didn't have breeders, some breeds would be extinct pretty fast.  I wouldn't want to lose any of the breeds.  I find dogs amazing in a way.  They are all dogs but they come in all shapes and sizes and their personalities are sometimes breed specific.  I have a cocker and my cocker acts and has the same mannerisms as other cockers I meet.  It's really weird.  I'm sure Maxwell acts like other Saints as well.  (I haven't been around many others yet.)

Oh well, that was my daily rant.  Hope I didn't bore anyone. 

In defense of repitable breeders & the price of their dogs...People that breed to better the breed put alot of money into their dogs...In vetrinary care, health testing, certifications, food, facilities for their dogs, etc, etc...They maintain not only the standard of the breed in how the dogs are supposed to look but also in temperment...W ithout breeders who breed to maintain the breed, you are right, the breeds as we know them could very well become extinct...Also getting a dog from a repitable breeder may very well save you 1000's of dollars down the line in vet bills...I have heard it said, "pay now or pay later" & I tend to agree with that...Now, I know you are thinking, "wait...sh just said in a previous post that she got her dog from a byb"? & I did...I am well aware though that, even though I was able to contact people who got pups from previous litters, Samson is still a crap shoot...I feel fairly confident now in his health but that's not to sat what could happen down the line...I am hoping for the best...Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for any akc registered pup with champion blood lines but, now that I am a little wiser, my new puppy is coming from a repitable breeder & one of the big selling points is the peace of mind that is coming with him. :)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 02:46:10 am »
raising and breeding a sound, type litter is very costly
there are tests to be done on both sire and dam,(OFA x rays thyroid etc), vet checks  , regerstrations etc.
if you breed to make better dogs, not more ,it can be very pricey, if you want to breed to a certain male to pull out faults  the stud price can be up to 2 k.  not vey cheep, and,,in case of emercencys,like a c section, or a large litter, better be prepared to bottle feed and not get much sleep for a few weeks.
also if you show your dogs , entrys and traveling expences add up fast. getting a championship on a dog is not that fast. i was lucky, my nandi won hers in 7 shows. some can take up to 25 or more.
then it was the certs, the x rays ,,,,,,,,, do the math
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 03:06:17 am »
as large breed pups grow, they usually go through a faze of see sawing up one day down the next,
by the time they are full grown, you can see to the standard  of the breed, i know my fila is supposed to be higher in the rear,,,,,,, my ridgebacks slightlty lower,,,,,,,strong top line
you can usualy tell at the age of 8 or 9 weeks , before the see saw starts. always see the parents and if there is  photos of the grand parents,,,,,still trying to make that 'PERFECT" lol,,,ridgeback

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 03:22:25 am »
ummmmmmmmmmm
one more thing
  genetic breeding takes time  it is NOT an overnight lets get rich thing,
  in the litter  show prospects should cost more then "PET" and the do not breed contract is what makes the breed better, why breed a dog with faults? no one can promise you the perfect dog, but health and love is what you should expect, show dog or not. if you do not want to pay for the so called pricey dogs,,,,please go to the shelters or adoption agencys and save a life. there are so many unwanted dogs out there, that would make great pets and all they want is love

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 08:25:14 am »
this lil girl is 9 months old 
a great breeding,,,,,, we have very high hopes for this young bitch,,,,,,,,almost perfect ridgeback!
temperment, type sound, and a sweety ,  beautiful too   okok

i am braging,,,,,,,,, and i wish all good luck with thier dogs.

Lyn

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 11:03:22 am »
Is bubba a smooth or rough coat?

He's a smooth coat.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 11:04:25 am »
and he's sooooooo cute

Lyn

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 11:14:59 am »
I miss the little puppy stage.. it lasted all of what.. 3-4 weeks. LOL Now he's a big clumsy beast. LOL

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2005, 11:19:51 am »
they do grow so fast.
Still he's a big cutie.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2005, 08:04:31 pm »
You are absolutely right.  A good reputable breeder would spend a lot on their "Parent Dogs" and take the proper precautions.  But I guess I'm just saying that it's super hard to find a good breeder...Some breeders own way too many dogs in order to make the perfect breeding and then they don't treat their dogs as pets.  I bought my Jack Russell from a "champion" breeder and like Isaid, she had ten crates in the garage with her dogs in them.  She then sold her mothers when she was done with them.  These were not pets.  Not house trained and spent their lives pushing out pups.  It was quite horrible.  To me a good breeder is someone with only a few dogs that live in the home.  Not outside, not in crates.  Dogs were meant to be family members, not baby making machines.  I guess that experience is what turned me off.  I have 4 pets.  One Saint, one Cocker and two Maine Coon cats.  They each have their own distinct personalities and to think of them living a life like that breaks my heart. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 01:29:16 am »
I totally hear you!...That's why I was so happy to get Pippin!...Jackie's dogs are family & soul matesto her...They are doing the job that they were intended to do & that is gaurd livestock...Th ey aren't all house dogs but they are obviously loved & cared for!...Right now she has only 2 breeding pairs...I love this as I know she is able to put all her love & energy into the dogs she has...I guess I was lucky to happen upon Jackie or she happened upon me whichever the case may be! :)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 10:30:01 am »
I'm glad to hear that other dogs have high rears too.  Seamus looks like such a dork b/c his hind end is soooo much taller than the rest of him, I just figured he was still growing.  He is around 14 months and weighs about 130.  I heard that St.'s are puppies until about 2 yrs, is that true?  I also heard that if he doesn't grow past 150 he isn't a pure blood St.  Is that true?  Not that I care, we don't show or anything, I was just curious.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 10:35:22 am »
I'm glad to hear that other dogs have high rears too.  Seamus looks like such a dork b/c his hind end is soooo much taller than the rest of him, I just figured he was still growing.  He is around 14 months and weighs about 130.  I heard that St.'s are puppies until about 2 yrs, is that true?  I also heard that if he doesn't grow past 150 he isn't a pure blood St.  Is that true?  Not that I care, we don't show or anything, I was just curious.
I believe that giant breed dogs are not fully grown & mature until they are 3...but I have heard 2 too...As far as the weight/purebred thing goes...That's bunk!!!!...It all depends on genetics...If you breed 2 massive st.'s you'll end up with a bigger dog...Breed 2 smaller sized st.'s & end up with a smaller dog...At 14 months your dog is not fully developed in his bones yet..They should thicken as he matures & that will cause him to be heavier.