Author Topic: chaining laws  (Read 3091 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
chaining laws
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:48 am »
ok, i was looking to see what states/areas had already adopted the chaining laws, when i came across this article

Orange County law bans chaining dogs outside during day
July 13,, 2005

Orange County law bans chaining dogs outside during day
Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. - Orange County commissioners passed a law banning dog owners from chaining their dogs outdoors during the day.

The law was unanimously passed Tuesday night.

The law comes after 4-year-old Myles Leakes was fatally mauled in Orlando in a relative's back yard in December.

"We're trying to reduce the number of people bit by dogs," said Vanessa Bouffard-Fehl, Orange County's animal services division spokeswoman. "People should be able to walk outside without being afraid."

Shavonda Leakes, Myles' mother, said she was pleased the ordinance was passed.

"There's nothing here that's perfect," Leakes said. "I just feel like, if we can prevent anything that is fatal or permanently disfiguring that would be a plus for our community."

It bans chaining dogs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and fines range from $75 to $250, the Orlando Sentinel reported Wednesday.

Some people at the meeting were against the law saying dogs are not dangerous because they are chained, but because they have not been socialized.

Palm Beach and Okaloosa Counties have similar laws.

my question is, how is not chaining your dogs going to make a difference.  if the dog is chained, OBVIOUSLY, it's going to have to stay in the owners yard.  more so of a chance than if an escape artist is just put in a fence.  if people want to feel "safe" from dogs, couldn't they just stay out of other people's yards?  the arguments some of these people make are really kinda stupid...  not chaining dogs = safe... how about people stay out of a chained dogs reach = safe...
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: chaining laws
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:52:59 am »
The chaining laws in Arizona are simple
They banned chaining dogs a number of years ago.
Mostly due to the number of dogs that were left chained,and died from sun and lack of shade and water.

But chaining a dog IMO is a cruel thing to do.It can make them very territorial and there fore cause people to get bit.

The only thing worse is leaving them in cars.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:04:46 am »
i can understand the argument about if they're left out and die, or it causes them physical hard, or if they're being neglected or abused, but the biting thing i still don't agree with.  it just seems to me, if a dog is chained, it's going to be in your yard, and even my 3 year old knows to stay out of people's yards.  maybe it's just that i was raised like that.  i thought everyone tried to stay out of someone else's yard.  my dogs are territorial no matter what.  even the UPS man doesn't knock or honk, he puts the package down nice and quite and runs.  not that my dogs are mean, they're just a little intimidating sometimes.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:06:59 am »
i can understand the argument about if they're left out and die, or it causes them physical hard, or if they're being neglected or abused, but the biting thing i still don't agree with.  it just seems to me, if a dog is chained, it's going to be in your yard, and even my 3 year old knows to stay out of people's yards.  maybe it's just that i was raised like that.  i thought everyone tried to stay out of someone else's yard.  my dogs are territorial no matter what.  even the UPS man doesn't knock or honk, he puts the package down nice and quite and runs.  not that my dogs are mean, they're just a little intimidating sometimes.

I agree with you!

~K

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:05:09 am »
Not all dogs are tied in the back yard,and while they may be in a yard they are open to being teased and tanted,but both people and other animals.

There are alternatives to tieing them out.
And most animals that are chained or tied out tend to get an ugly attitude toward anything that moves.

As far as people respecting your yard bounderies,People are STUPID and our fur friends pay the price.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:09:49 am »
What about when the dogs get loose? I mean some dogs can break their chains and if they aren't in a fenced in yard(or even if they are) they can be aggressive and attack someone. I'm very against chaining and think it should defenitely be banned.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:18:19 am »
i think there are some instances where it is in everyone's best interest.  my hubby's dog was banned to outside because she decided she didn't want to deal with any other animals anymore, and kept attacking my dogs.  we had to find her a new home today b/c she cause 4 er trips, unprovoked.  we still don't know what happened, she's never had an aggression problem, but all of a sudden, would jump fences to go after people walking dogs, also.  we absolutely had to chain her for everyone's safety, because we couldn't keep her in our house anymore.  we found her a new home, needless to say, where she would be an only pet and would stay inside.  although chaining was a temporary situation, it was still in everyone's best interest.  i don't believe in chaining 24/7 but i do believe that there are some instances where it is needed.  i guess that's why a lot of states say you can only chain for "X" amount of time per day.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:06:11 am »
I've had dogs for 40 years and I believe in using chains.  But and a BIG but, this is just for short periods, half hour to and hour, a couple times a day.  This gives the dog a break and keeps him out of trouble.  Never had problems with biters or aggression

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 08:24:56 am »
I think the biggest problem is dogs that are chained, unsocialized, and unsupervised.
In all of the campgrounds that we have been to they require that dogs be leashed or chained at all times, in or out of your campsite. I agree with that, too many strangers, too many dogs, unfamilar area... But they also require that the dog be attended by an adult at all times, which I also agree with. It is also the only time my pampered house pooches are ever tied out or chained.
I think it is a matter of how you were raised, where you live, and what your dog is intended for, whether you think this is right or wrong.
I have plenty of relatives that think that dogs are livestock and they need to be chained outside unless they are doing another job-Like livestock guarding or herding.
These are the same folk that will not eat or sleep in my house because I live with dogs. To them it is like I am living with a cow in my living room.
Stella

Yes, but how often do you see a cow tied out to a chain?  It does happen, but it is rare.  I do understand that a chain can be helpful in certain situations, but I REALLY can't understand the mentality of most "chainers" who put a dog out on a chain and it lives its entire life out there.  We have neighbors like that and I just don't get it.  What is the point?  Protection?  How will it protect you out there on the chain?  Those dogs bark all the time so I can't believe that they would react any time the dogs bark.  This is one of the mysteries of life to me.
Daphne