Author Topic: Is this a Pyr thing?  (Read 6470 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Is this a Pyr thing?
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:24:08 pm »
Samson rarely wants to eat during the day...He wants to eat late at night or in the very early a.m. hours...I want him to eat earlier so we can get the night poop done with & I can rest knowing he'll be o.k. until morning...Last night in chat it was suggeted that I put his food down & take it back if he has eaten awhile later...The just try again the next day...But, I have heard that Pyrs are nocturnal...An y truth in this?...Is this why he does this?

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a Pyr thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:42:02 pm »
Some Pyrs like to patrole at night even as the owners sleep. Blizzard sleeps in the hall, between all the bedrooms. I can hear her getting up at about 10, moving from sleeping across the front door, to the hallway.

The around 12, she gets up, goes down to the basement, sniffs around and comes back up, and begins laying across the hall to block it. (I  know, I've almost tripped over her a few times)

Around 2 am, she begins to pace. She'll check into each bedroom and if a door is closed, she'll scratch untill someone wakes up to opens it. She does not like doors closed when she's on patrole! Then she'll choose wich one of the kids' bedrooms she'll sleep in and lay infront of the window (we have floor to ceiling windows), blocking it the same way she blocks a doorway.
By the time we all wake up in the morning, she's normally found sleeping across the front door again. I honestly beleive her body's clock tells her to get up ever two hours and check everything out. Early morning, when I first wake up (about 5 am) she is ready to eat. Then that's it. She wants nothing more unless it's an extra special treat, for the rest of the day.

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 03:39:10 am »
That is a LGD as a whole thing not just a Pyr...They are more nocturnal than other breeds of dogs because that is when the predators come out to hunt.  Where ever my dog sleeps he is blocking the enterance to me or my family.  He also does his 'patrol' during the night and during our walk early am (4:30)  In the evening, or early am people arent allowed to approach me but during the day light hours, he is more relaxed

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:54 am »
Good idea Tina!...I am sure I will speak to her sometime today so I'll ask...As far as only feeding once a day, I put the food down once a day but it gets eating in two feedings as per Samson's own preference...H e is a very casual eater...He eats some & then finishes sometime after I am sleeping for the night...I go to bed very late...Lately it is after 9 p.m. before he touches his food & finishes sometime after I go to bed which can range from midnight which is early for me to 2 a.m....I would guess he finishes about 3 or 4 a.m. as that's when he moves from the kitchen to the family room to sleep.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:33:27 am »
Chelle, Pyrs are definitely nocturnal. However if you make a mental note to observe a pattern with his eating, you may find it is related to the heat.... Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 12:06:16 pm »
Gypsy....Samso n is just wierd!  :D  :D Just kidding! Bear will eat carbs at any time throughout the day or night. Guess he is stranger than Samson huh?

Ok, this might be a dumb question but what does LGD stand for? I have seen it alot lately and have no clue what it means. Please help and don't think I am stupid cuz I don't know what it means.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 12:09:47 pm »
I'm no expert and I am going to feel really stupid if I am wrong but I think it mean livestock guardian

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 12:47:08 pm »
Nina is right..LGD=livestock gaurd dog...Jackie, Samson is a house dog & I always keep the a/c on for him even when we don't actually require it...Same reason as my family complains they are freezing in the winter...Sam doesn't like it above 68 degrees tops...lol...W hen it is very hot he only goes out to potty & comes right back in...Would that still affect his eating habits?

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 01:24:02 pm »
The only question that is stupid is the unasked one....lol

Livestock Guardian Dog = LGD

Jackie
Jackie Wood

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 01:25:56 pm »
Probably Chelle.  He's like a two year old at this point.  Dont worry about it unless he looses a lot of weight.

Jackie
Jackie Wood

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 01:27:11 pm »
K...Ty Jackie! :)

BabsT

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 04:12:03 pm »
I know the that LGD's have thick coats but the majority can handle the heat...Like my CAO...it is desert country but in the mountains it snows...they need to handle both climates.   I took zero for a walk the other day 85 out and he did 2 miles trotting the whole way...they learn to deal and they wont exert themselves.  Also in the summer months they dont eat much and then will pick back up in the fall

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 04:57:25 pm »
Wow!...I took Samson out for a walk yesterday which was probably a mile & 1/2 total & around 85 too...Either I am the drama queen my hubby accuses me of being or Samson was having some issues...I swear in the last block an & 1/2 before we got home he was about to refuse to go on...I actually sent on of my kids on ahead to climb our fence, go in through the back door & open the garage for us & instructed the other to quick run up & get him a dish of cold water!...He was panting & drooling all over...It was kind of humid here too...It must have been that, I'm worry too mush or Samson is a huge sissy!...lol...We won't be walking anymore unless is is below 80...preferabl ey closer to 70 or 75!

BabsT

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 05:09:54 pm »
If a dog becomes over heated dont fill him up with cold water..that will shock his system...if anything put cold rags in his armpits.  give a little water and let him cool down slowly

Dogs need to be conditioned to tolerate anything...Zer o is usual walks are 5am and 9pm in the summer...not really because of the sun but because te ground is too hot for his feet.  He is also pretty slim now too...extra weight=extra fat=extra hot LOL

I dont walk fast and I let my dog control the pace if it is hot...it is really only the humidity that bothers my dog...dry heat and cold, he is fine.

Every dog is different and it is best to know your dog...overall age and health play a big factor too

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 05:10:44 pm »
Chelle,

I dont exercise the dogs, even to just walk during the summer.  I would say 80 is a good cut off point.  Just shade and lots of water and AC if the situation is right, ie: new puppies etc.  If you doubt what I am saying, just take a wad of hair after grooming and hold it tight in your hand for a few... You 'll see what I mean...

Jackie
Jackie Wood