Author Topic: Puppy won't get "Comfortable" in his crate  (Read 5236 times)

Offline gohawks3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Puppy won't get "Comfortable" in his crate
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:55:02 am »
After potty time or play time, my 9 week old Berner puppy often times will not get comfortable in his crate.  He moves to the back of the crate to lie down, then 2 minutes later, he crawls to the front of the crate.  Then a minute later, he turns around and lies along the side....so on and so forth.  Every 10 minutes or so, he will get confortable enough to sit still for a long period of time, but it really looks like he is not comfortable/calm enough to truly enjoy his time in the crate. 

Could this be a blanket issue in the crate?  We have 3 blankets lying in the bottom of the crate and it seems to be comfortable.  Maybe that's too many?  The house definitely is not too hot for him as the heat is right at 70 degrees and it's snowing outside.  He also has a few toys in the crate with him, and a small cotton bone-shaped pillow which he absolutely loves.  Could there be another cause or is this just something normal puppies go through when getting used to their new den?  We've only been crate training him for 3.5 days now (just got him on X-Mas day), and he seems to be doing better in all areas except the 'comfort' issue I mention above. 

Any ideas?

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy won't get "Comfortable" in his crate
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:33:38 am »
When I got Sadie's crate/condo I purchased a wonderfully soft pad .. she hated her crate and barked constantly.  I took the pad out and left it bare she goes in on her own with the "pick of the day" towel we keep out to dry her off with.  She hated the padding and doesn't want anything in except a chew and her towel if we close the door.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:59:51 pm »
I agree it could be the blankets. No matter how hard I try to keep him on soft surfaces, his favorite places to lay are on the bare kitchen floor and the bare crate. He has a blanket in the back half of his crate and he'll go lay on it when he first gets in...but by the time it's morning, the blankets are all pushed to the side and he's laying on the bare crate floor all sprawled out on his back. hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:13:34 pm »
Kana's crate is actually in our heated garage and we have been trying very hard to keep him 'warm' this winter by adding padding to the crate floor.  Kana has made his point very clear, as the padding has ended up in the back yard (which he has access to)every single day!  It's silly for us to think that they need help getting comfy, I have learned.  I have to remind myself every day that he is meant for cold and snow and all of the elements out there! We do also leave him some options of pillows, etc if he wants to take them in. 
Stick with the bare crate and see if that works for him!  Good Luck!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »
Issy did/does the same thing, even in her smaller crate.  I think it just might be him.  Issy moved around so much I finally had to put a throw in between the bottom of her crate and what she actually lays on (the word escapes me!!) because every time she moved it would be so noisy I would wake up!  
I do think 70 might be too hot also, I have my heat on 60 (granted, no snow) and it's a bit chilly to me but the dogs are comfortable and laying on the floors.  
I also agree with the one blanket, if he wants to lay on it he will if he doesn't he'll move it out of the way.  
How many things are in the crate with him?  One thought too is that there may be too many things in the crate, the crate is for rest and quiet time, one or two things might be ok but maybe more than that and he is overstimulated and MUST play or mess with all of them it they are there.  Issy is like that, she cannot have too many things in there or she will never calm down no matter how tired I think she is; some of my other dogs, it wouldn't matter if they had the toy box in the crate they would go right to sleep.
One more thing and I'll shut it!!  Don't be surprised too if one week he loves his crate and the next week it's the death chamber!!!  Just be consistent.  And welcome to BPO!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:50:35 pm »
I would try a chewy in there with him, as well as making the crate smaller, if you haven't already. If you decide to give rawhides, give him one of those, otherwise I use dehydrated chicken breast (you can get a 1 lb bag for like 10 bucks) to keep them occupied. It's a lot healthier and lasts just as long, plus is good for their teeth! (Stay away from Greenies or similar products)

I hope you have a GREAT time with your new puppy, and happy new year!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline gohawks3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 03:17:22 pm »
All -

Thanks for your great replies!  He is doing much better now that I have removed all but one blanket and two toys.  He settles into his crate much easier!

Now he's moved on to another problem...  :)

When we let him out for playtime, he constantly tries to roam to the places where we don't allow him to go (under the coffee table, between the couches, etc.  We have tried blocking those areas off and every time he enters, them, we pull him back, point at him and say "NO." in a stern low voice, but it only seems to add fuel to the fire!  Any other suggestions to get him to understand there are places he is not supposed to go, without moving him to a new place altogether?  We really want him to get used to his current area because this is where we'll want him to be as he grows older.  Maybe we are overreacting a bit since he's only just over 9 weeks old, but he seems to be getting worse!!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 03:27:03 pm »

Sorry, I but have to say that it will only get worse for a while until it gets really good IF you put enough time and nerves in his training.
He is only 9 weeks and can't be left unsupervised AT ALL. He wants to see everything around just like children do. Puppy proofing the house is very important!
Every time he tries to get to those areas redirect him to his favorite toy and a treat. Show him that being close to you is fun! And when you can't watch him, the crate would be the best and safest place of all  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:28:53 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 03:28:48 pm »
It sounds like he's just exploring his new territory, keep with the stern NO, or maybe try blocking these areas off altogether with baby gates until he is a little older.  ;) ;) :)  But I also agree with what People Whisperer said, keep him with you at all times, and crate him when you cannot.   :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:29:52 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

enuffpaws

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 04:29:46 pm »
Welcome to bpo 1st thing. lol I also agree with people whisperer.Remb er young pups are like two leg babies when they start moving on thier own exploring everything with thier mouths.The first few months are tough but be consistant set rules as early as you can this helps as they get older for more advanced training.

dale ;)

ps we need pic of puper!!!!!!! ;D 8) ;)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 10:28:05 pm »
The crate was a GODSEND when we first got Kana at 4 months.  He was into EVERYTHING!  That took a long time to subside, I will be honest.  He challenged us in every way!
Yes, like the others said, keep him your pup in sight...Welcom e to puppyhood!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita