Author Topic: Question: Are Pyrs nudgers?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
  • Waco the Wonder Dog is ready to help Santa!
    • View Profile
Question: Are Pyrs nudgers?
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:04:22 am »
I think Waco may be a habitual nudger. He can't help himself. Whenever I'm at the computer he insists on pushing his nose under my wrist and quickly lifting my hand off the keyboard so that it settles quickly on his head.

He also seems to weigh my commands (requests) before he commits to any action.

That said, he seems to be adjusting to his new life.
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Teddy, Shih Tsu   6.5 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs
Waco the Wonder Dog, Great Pyrenees  2 yrs

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Question: Are Pyrs nudgers?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:22:11 am »
Awww. Waco seems to be fitting in quite well. I don't know if pyrs are nudgers...but I know ALOT of pyrs that get your attention by pawing at you..or tryin to give you their paw. hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:56:33 am »
I am glad to hear that Waco is adjusting very well to his new life  :)

Lily never paws BUT weighs my commands about a hundred times before making her decision whether to follow or not  ::)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:50:08 am »
Jake never paws, but, he is definitely a nudger.  All my animals are.  They know if they can get their head, body, butt, under my arm and slide my hand onto them, I will pet them, rub their ears, etc.  Even my cats will sit in the chair next to me and slide their heads under my arm down to my hand for petting.  Be glad he is only a nudger.  Max will slide his head under my arm and sling his head up.  I am trying to break him of this habit.  If I am sitting at the computer his head and mine are at the same height.  When he slings his head up and back to raise my arm, he inevitably hits me in the face with his head.  I never knew how hard headed an IW was.  Now I do, and I know how bad it hurts to get hit in the face with that head.  LOL
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18:27 am »
Naja is both a nudger and a pawer...lol 

She will push her nose under my hand if she wants attention, and paw at me mostly when I get home.  :)  She will also take a few seconds to think about my commands before either commiting to them or ignoring me.  lol  ::) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:12:57 am »
Jack is a relentless "pawer" but not a nudger.  Although he will just come up and stare at you with his enormous face like 2" from yours.  He paws at anyone and everyone for attention though - he'll do it sitting, laying and even standing!  Greta, our Swissy is a big nudger, it's hard to read a book or magazine when she's around!

Greta has always listened pretty well, without question - unless she's distracted, but Jack always looks at you and thinks for a minute before following a command.  I always just assume it's the hundreds of years of Pyr instinct to think independently while guarding the flock without the shepherd around.  If I remember that then I don't want to beat his but (figuratively, of course) when he seems to be ignoring me!   ;)
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 02:56:06 am »
She will push her nose under my hand if she wants attention, and paw at me mostly when I get home. lol  ::) :D

Boy, do I know that pusher action. I guess that's what you'd call Pyr pressure.  :-\ (sorry)
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 03:00:21 am »
Jack always looks at you and thinks for a minute before following a command.  I always just assume it's the hundreds of years of Pyr instinct to think independently while guarding the flock without the shepherd around. 

Yes, a dog with an independent mind, that seems to be working in Waco. I know he's hearing and undestanding; I can tell by the look on his face and the wheels turning over his head. It's the 20 seconds or so where we stare at each other that gets me. Apparently I'm to learn more patience.

My Beau had selective hearing. The only time he didn't obey was if he decided it was time to wander. Then he would avoid eye contact and make sure he couldn't see me. Apparently if he couldn't see me, I didn't see him. And off he'd go. That's a bit differenet from what I'm getting from Waco.  :D
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:44:11 am »
Jenny is a big time nudger! She sticks her head under my hand/arm and throws it up to get my attention, particularly when I'm at the computer. When I first got her, she was a paw-er and that hurt! I received several bruises from her that way and with having 2 small kids in the house I worked hard to stop that behavior right away--and I'm proud to say I have been successful. She hardly ever paws anymore-thank goodness!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven