Author Topic: Sapphire getting spayed today.  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Sapphire getting spayed today.
« on: October 09, 2005, 06:31:07 pm »
Sapphire's getting spay today. Just a little nervous with all the anesthesia issues esp with LGDs. Thank goodness for BP monitors and EKG's! I should have her home by 1pm. Sofia wants to take her school work and stay at the Vets. (I doubt she'll get much done...too much fun to be social there.)

Deena
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 06:32:49 pm by Good Hope »

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Sapphire getting spayed today.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:34:44 pm »
I am sending positive thoughts your way today!...I'm always nervous when my guys have to "go under' too...I am sure she'll be just fine though! :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 11:26:50 pm »
Good luck sapphire!

Make sure you have lots of treats and bully sticks for her when she gets home  :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 11:27:47 pm »
Good luck Sapphire!  We're sending good thoughts your way...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 11:30:55 pm »
Good luck Puppy!  Post us a note when you wake up and let us know you're ok.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 11:32:06 pm »
Good luck Sapphire, make sure mommy gives you lots of hugs, kisses, and treats. 

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 11:37:20 pm »
Good luck Sapphire, make sure mommy gives you lots of hugs, kisses, and treats. 

No kidding!  Lots of extra love always makes the pain go away!  :)  Like a spoon full of sugar! :)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 01:45:59 am »
i just realized i kinda ENJOY it when the dogs go under for surgery. they come out all groggy and PEACEFUL like they're in slow-motion...

Nikki's going under the knife herself in a month. good luck! (btw, how much to spay the Kuvasz? and why wasn't she named Prada? or Manolo?)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 04:52:47 am »
Sapphire just came home.  The blood panel before surgery showed elevated glucose, so we have to watch that.  Other than that, everything went well, but the poor girl looks so sad and tired.

Sofia

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 05:26:40 am »
Sapphire just came home.  The blood panel before surgery showed elevated glucose, so we have to watch that.  Other than that, everything went well, but the poor girl looks so sad and tired.

Sofia

Ahh, glad to hear everything went well!  After a good nights rest tonight she'll be good as new tomorrow morning!!  May I ask how old??  I'm struggling with when to neuter my Leo pup...some say "now" some say "6 months".....a world of different thoughts out there. 

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 05:33:56 am »
I'm glad she's home and every thing went well. Kiah will be going in next month.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 05:42:18 am »
Ahh, glad to hear everything went well!  After a good nights rest tonight she'll be good as new tomorrow morning!!  May I ask how old??  I'm struggling with when to neuter my Leo pup...some say "now" some say "6 months".....a world of different thoughts out there.

Sapphire is 6 months old today, exactly (but that was a coincidence).  I would avoid spaying or neutering a dog before 6 months, unless they become mature enough to breed before that.  You won't find that in large breed dogs.  In fact, I don't know that it is found in any dogs...I know it can happen in cats.

You can even wait until Bogard is older, but 6 months is a fair time: he should be old enough to handle the stress, but he won't be old enough to breed.  However, I really think that the longer you can wait, the better, without them becoming mature enough to breed of course.  As they mature, their bodies can handle the stress better.

Sofia

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 08:08:17 am »
Sapphire is 6 months old today, exactly (but that was a coincidence).  I would avoid spaying or neutering a dog before 6 months, unless they become mature enough to breed before that.  You won't find that in large breed dogs.  In fact, I don't know that it is found in any dogs...I know it can happen in cats.

You can even wait until Bogard is older, but 6 months is a fair time: he should be old enough to handle the stress, but he won't be old enough to breed.  However, I really think that the longer you can wait, the better, without them becoming mature enough to breed of course.  As they mature, their bodies can handle the stress better.

Sofia

Thank you Sofia!!  We have a VERY reputable trainer in NYC suggesting that it's okay to spay/neuter as early as 8/10 weeks without complications!!  - gulp!  I was defiitely thinking along the lines of 6 months, (that's when my breeder asks for the neuter cert.) and my vet advised that if he's not exhibiting typical male behaviors by 6 months she may even suggest waiting longer.  I was just wondering what others may do with giant breeds.  Thanks!   

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 08:13:03 am »
I'm glad she's home and ready for some special attention!  Glad everything went well!  :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 08:34:48 am »
Glad to hear she is home and doing well  :)
RIP former BPO