Author Topic: Pyr needs help in Atlanta  (Read 6382 times)

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
  • Skuy & Ivy - the first meeting!
    • View Profile
Pyr needs help in Atlanta
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:25:19 am »
Hey, ya'll!

I haven't posted in a while and I'm so sorry for that.  :-\

Anyhow, there is a Pyr wandering loose in my neighborhood that someone has abandoned. His owners moved and left him here with his buddy, a Chow-Chow. I believe someone has taken in the Chow, but I don't know what to do about the Pyr. I'm going to try and keep him until someone can give him a permanent home or a good foster home. He's all matted up and he's scavenging for food. I'd LOVE to keep him, but hubby says our house is full.  :( I'll try to get some photos up shortly. I'm not sure if he's a he or a she or anything.

Please let me know if anyone can help us. Thank you, BPOers!!

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Pyr needs help in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:16:14 am »
Here are some pics. Sorry the quality isn't so great.  :-\ Does anyone have valid contact info for the Atlanta Pyr Rescue? I tried sending an email and it bounced back.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:22:39 am »
Awwwww, he's beautiful..wel l I would guess it's a male anyway from the coat. I wish I could help, I just don't have the room either, and my hands are full as it is. I hope you can find someone.   :'(

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:24:10 am »
how frustrating.  i hate  people who do that.  i asked hubby and he said no.  5 dogs, 1 cat, 2 kids, a snake and 3 fish tanks is enough for our house (according to him).     :(  keep us updated though please!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:32:07 am »
I'll be sure to post updates when I can. I feel so bad for this baby. We've got a kitty, a Weimie and a Dane at home and our house is tiny. I wish we could keep him. I think my hubby would move out if I tried to sneak this pup in the house.

I know where this guy's family used to live and it looks like they just took off. The dogs have been dragging trash around and there are huge piles of it behind the house. I'm going to call some other rescues in the morning to see if anyone can take him.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:41:05 pm »
Hi!
We are in Maine with our Pyr gal Cirra.  Don't know if you tried the East region Great Pyrenees Club of America Rescue contact person or not by email.  The Metro Atlanta web site appears defunct or hijacked.  Here is the info from the GPCA regarding adoptions and maybe they have your local information?????

Terry Stepanick
east@gpcarescue.org
phone 727-686-4186

That's a representative of the Florida Great Pyrenees Club that also covers the East Region.
Hope you can find him or her help ASAP!!!
denise

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:49:06 pm »
Hi, bless you for caring and taking him in long enough to find help for him!  Here is a toll-free phone number for the Florida Great Pyrenees (same contact person as Seaherons posted, but this is the ph #)
866-SAV-A-PYR

It just kills me that people do things like this!  We have a wonderful rescue male pyr that we adopted last month that his former "humans" (term used very loosely!) starved him down to 68#, while leaving he and his brother tied up to die.  Animal Control took them to the shelter in just the nick of time.  I don't know if they would have made it more than another week or so as he was skin & bones and had a bad case of kennel cough.  He is a wonderful dog and I bet that your new rescue is, too.  Please let us know if you need anymore help and I'll do whatever I can to help.  I do know some contacts within GPCA rescue, so if you cannot reach your local rescue contact, I bet we can still find help for this sweet boy.  I just wish that I weren't thousands of miles away!  Please keep us posted!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 01:13:48 am »
I wish I could take that sweet pup in... with 7 dogs between me and my roomie, we are at our max.

I cant believe people are so heartless to abandon their dogs, it just kills me! This pup is so better off now, thanks to your kindness!

Atlanta Pet Rescue is an excellent rescue group in Atlanta that has great success in placing dogs with loving, forever homes.

Many of the dogs are placed in foster homes until they are adopted.

Here is the website:

www.atlantapet rescue.org

Good luck - if I come up with additional options, I will post them.

Please keep us posted.

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 01:28:23 am »
Thanks so much for all the info! I'm going to call/email APR and see if they can help, then I'll call/email chapters of the GPCA. We'll get him taken care of soon!

Sadly, I live in a neighborhood where people dump unwanted animals. I've helped two other dogs in my neighborhood - a puppy with the worst mange I have ever seen and a sweet Chow mix that was hit by a car. I hate that people do this to their pets. It really hurts me to see homeless animals...so I try to do what I can to make the situation better.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:03:05 am »
Thank you so much for helping these poor pups.  I never cease to be amazed that people can just dump a pet. >:( :(

Please let us know how this works out with the rescue org's and how this boy is doing.
Marie

And my pups:

Offline MeddiesMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:40:40 pm »
Have you heard back from Atlanta Pet Rescue?  If this poor fella still needs a home, I'd love to see if he and our current only dog would hit it off.  Please let me know.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 04:24:59 pm »
Hi MeddiesMom, that's wonderful!  Are you in GA or FL?  If you don't hear back from JessicanParker, you might try the links and phone numbers that were listed in this thread for Great Pyrenees Rescue in GA and FL.  Also, there was a male Pyr in Chicago that needs a home that was crossposted from craigslist.com onto BPO yesterday, but that may be too far for you but maybe not if BPO people could help with transport.  I'd love to help but I'm no where near those areas.  If you need more contact info for Pyr Rescue, I'd be happy to help.  We just adopted 2 pyrs (1 from GPCA rescue) and we adore them!  I hope that you find your pup soon.  Keep us posted!
Marie

And my pups:

Offline pyrrescuega

• Gnawer
  • Metro Atllanta Great Pyrenees Club
    • View Profile
    • Metro Atlanta Great Pyrenees Clut Rescue
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 11:39:33 am »
Hi,

This is Charlie, from the Metro atlanta great pyrenees club. Where can I find this dog? I will come pick it up asap.

Thanks
www.pyrrescueg a.com is our site for now, the other one was hacked into
Charlie Fisher
President
Metro Atlanta Great Pyrenees Club

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 03:51:07 am »
Hi, all!

I am soooo sorry for not checking in about this baby. I saw him again this morning for the first time in a long time. I emailed APR and was prepared to take him up there, but he disappeared. My coworker and I saw him again this morning.

I think he is being "taken care of" by someone in the neighborhood - but I don't know to what extent. Charlie, if you are interested in getting this sweet boy's location, PM me or email me at jessicanparker@gmail.com

Again, I'm so sorry for not giving an update sooner. Today was the first time I've seen him since then.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 05:28:35 am »
I don't know if Charlie will be checking BPO for more info at this point, I see that he's only had the one post so I'm afraid that he may not see your post, Jessica.  I think that you'd have more luck by contacting him directly from his web site.  Also, regarding this poor Pyr, have you considered putting up "LOST DOG" type signs in the area so if someone is just occasionally feeding him that they'd contact you and then you could get this poor guy into rescue.  I'm just thinking that if someone is just feeding him now & then that he'd be much, much better off in rescue.  They'd keep him safe in a fenced yard (critical for Pyrs, especially), have him checked out by a vet, put on heartworm preventative, well fed, etc. then placed in a permanent home.  I'm so glad that you are trying to help him.  PM me if I can do anything to help.
Marie

And my pups: