Author Topic: New member with a Weight Question?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline bianis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New member with a Weight Question?
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:06 am »
I'm proudly owned by the cutest puppy... I have no idea what breed she is. I thought she was a mix of who knows what. I just stumbled upon a picture of a great pyrenees that looks just like my pup!! I was shocked!! I'm coming to know that great pyrenees are very large dogs, and my dog isn't that large, but then again, she's just about 8 months old. The last time i weighed her she was 45 lbs. I don't think she has gained weight or size since then, I'll have to check...
 So, I'm wondering what's the normal growth rate of a dog of this breed? I'm trying to figure out if she could be a great pyrenees, or maybe she's mixed with a maremma shepherd (she looks a lot like those too, but she has orangey markings on her face and ears, and some faint spots on her body, and the maremma seem to be all white only). I first thought she could be a maremma, the description of size seems to fit her better, but as i mentioned, the maremma don't seem to have those types of markings or colors on face and ears.
Any input greatly appreciated!
I'll add a picture of my dog later, see if you guys can comment...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:40:08 am by DaneInsane »

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Weight Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:31:29 am »
Posting a pic would be a great help ;D

I would have to say just off the batt mmmm... at 8 months old only weighing in at 45 pounds sounds a little small for a pyr..my guy is 3 1/2 months and weighs that...but you never know.

Sounds adorable never the less ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline bianis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: New member with a Weight Question?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:04:19 pm »
Thanks everyone! I'm sorry i hadn't reported back... After posting my browser shut down, and I couldn't find this site again. I just stumbled on it again luckily!
Julie, my dog looks a lot like your Chammie!!
I don't  have recent pictures of my pup here, but I'm posting one from when i first got her, she was 8 weeks here (according to the vet). But I will be posting new pictures, I hope i can get them up here by tomorrow.
I'm also posting a picture of an actual pyr i found on the net, that looks just like my dog. That will help give you a better idea of what she looks like for now, until i can post some actual recent picture of her.
And don't worry, Danelnsane, i don't mind. It's actually better to have my own thread. :)

Offline bianis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:07:21 pm »
Oh! and no... i don't know what she's mixed with. I'm not even sure she has pyrenees in her, but it's stunning how much she looks like them. I hope that when i post more pictures you guys can comment on what you think she might be or may have in her mixture.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
Hi Bianis, welcome!  You pup is adorable!  She sure does look like she may have some Pyr in her.  Does she have double dew claws on her back legs?  If so, that's usually a good indication of a Pyr in her background, though Pyrs aren't the only dogs that have double dews.  My Cassie is probably 3/4 Pyr though & she has all single dews.  Generally if the dog is full pyr they'll have double dews in back, but if there is a mix then the double dews can be somewhat hit or miss. This may give you some idea of her background, though.  I'd love to see more pics of your pup as you have time.  She sure was a cute baby!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:42:27 pm »
I'm not sure (nor ever could be) what she is. But I must tell you. She's beautiful!

Congratulation s!  You have a "Rather Dog"! They would rather be with you = and you with them = than anywhere else in the world.  :D

Looking forward to many more pics and lots more updates! Welcome! I'm Jane. Mom to Rainbow & whisper.

Offline bianis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:51:21 pm »
Thanks! She doesn't have any dew claws on her back legs, she just has a single dew claw on her front. I had read this about pyrs, so that and the fact that she's on the smaller side (I measured her, and she's 18 inches to her shoulders), tells me she's not a pure breed pyr. I'm speculating she may have some pyr genes in her, cause the resemblance is there... that's why i was asking about normal growth patterns for pyrs. I wondered if she may have the size of a pyr, apparently not though. Phew! lol. Big dogs are great, but my backyard isn't that big, and I'm pretty lanky so i worried that i would get dragged around when i take her out for a walk!