Author Topic: Swimming Pyr-can I let her loose?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Swimming Pyr-can I let her loose?
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:42:06 am »
I am pretty sure that I am being paranoid, but I've got to ask...can I let Binky off leash to go swimming?  We are moving and will have our own beach, completely private.  Binky loves the water and runs in every time we go.  However, I am afraid to let her off leash b/c I really am afraid she will just swim away! Also, the current is quite strong and I don't know how well she can swim! Are Pyrs strong swimmers? Do you think she's come back?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Swimming Pyr-can I let her loose?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:04:02 pm »
Most Pyrs hate the water and will only wade in it to cool off.  However if you find one that does like the water they are very powerful swimmers.  I got mine to go into the lake with me and she litterally towed me behind her and even though I am a very strong swimmer I didn't think I was going to get her turned around.  She was headed for the other lake shore which was a good mile away!  So work with her onleash until she comes back to you reliably which may or may not happen considering their penchant toward not coming to you on land...lol  Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline bigdogluver85

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:09:40 pm »
:) Yes let your do Binky go out and swim. I have a Great Pyrenees and Chow Chow and he is an excellent swimmer. He always comes back into shore when I call him and he loves to fech sticks! I let my boy Bernie off the leash all the time to go swimming and he loves it. It is expecially fun when we go swimming together he will always stick right by me unless he is done swimming then he goes up to shore. Let Binky have some fun and swim it will be alright! :)

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 11:14:52 pm »
I think it's fine to let her swim, as long as you are prepared to go out and haul her back in if she needs a tow.  Tealk's mom had a GREAT idea of a doggy lifejacket, I would get your dog one of those, and yourself a person lifejacket, and have a ball!!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 06:29:31 am »
I don't have any pyrs, and consider Jackie to be far more the expert on pyr-personality than I will ever be. I can only say that I was really apprehensive about letting Merlin and Strider off leash at the dog beach Memorial Day week end with Julie and Aaron. We brought 30' leashes for them, but when it became clear that they were going to behave with 100+ other dogs running around we tried it out without the leashes. Not only did they behave, they stayed within about 20' of me on their own, and if I was not in their sight, they would panic, and race to find me.
Raven, on the other hand could not be trusted and stayed on her leash. It depends on the dog, and as long as you are prepared to fetch her back and deal with whatever happens....You'll never know until you try.
Stella