Author Topic: Protector, babysitter, and certified gentle giant  (Read 11895 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Protector, babysitter, and certified gentle giant
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:43:48 am »
Our long time friend came by the other night with her 8 month old twin girls. The girls were sweet and happy and Allison (the one in orange with me) was fascinated with Bear. It was because of her that we now are more confident with Bear and his loving ways. Allison pulled, proded, picked, pinched, kissed and explored Bear all over without him so much as flinching. He layed there like a lump and occasionally would turn his head and kiss her is she pulled on him too hard. He was soooooo wonderful. Now, if we ever have kids, I am excited to see him as a regular co-dad with Michael. He just made me so happy that I had to share. I have the best doggy in the world!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Protector, babysitter, and certified gentle giant
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 12:27:33 pm »
Bear is sooo handsome!How much does he weigh by the way?

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 12:37:40 pm »
Hahaha...no getting to work in that department for a while. Up until the other night it was a definite NO for both us forever, but seeing Bear with them and Michael with Allison made me change my mind. In a year or two we will discuss it again.

He just went to the vet last week Jules and is officially 150.3 lbs.  :( I really want him to make the 180 lbs. that his biological dad is but at this point I doubt that will ever happen. Sad Jaime.... He has one more year to grow though so we will see.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 02:25:04 pm »
 :D that is cute.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 03:36:06 pm »
Those pictures are so adorable. I especially like the second-to-last one - the baby looks like a little horse jockey, or I should say Bear jockey  :D
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 04:25:11 pm »
hehehehe
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 04:31:20 pm »
I have to say that I hear so often that people want a dog that is "good with children".

I have always said that is not breed specific, and is contingent MUCH more with the upbringing and supervision of said dog AND children.

The photos you posted are darling, however, I think they demonstrate a dog being put into social positions he would not normally tolerate, and kids being put into positions of doing things they should learn NEVER to do around dogs.

Good habits are formed early, and children, for their own safety, should be taught several basic rules about dogs:

NEVER put your face next to a dog's head.

NEVER touch a dog you don't know.

NEVER touch ANY dog unless an adult is present.

NEVER climb onto any dog.

I adore the photos, but the fact is, kids should be taught NOT to do these things to dogs as a rule because many dogs WON'T tolerate this treatment, and injuries can occur as a result.

KUDOS to your boy for being the Newfie he is and so tolerant and sweet. Not all are like that. ;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 04:39:30 pm »
Red,
Your words and information are good to consider when speaking of dogs that you don't know or are unsure of and children you do not know. I do not think that any responsible dog owner or responsible parent would let a child interact with a dog in a way that was inappropriate without first knowing the dog and his/her behavior. People have a tendency to err on the side of caution when it comes to the unknown.

In this case however, the girls are only 8 months old and I was putting them on the dog and I was allowing them to play with Bear just as much as he was kissing and loving on them. If he wasn't loving and VERY GENTLE I would not have put either of them in that situation. Please remember that I know my dog very well and that this breed is awesome with kids! They are known for being natural babysitters and naturally love children.    
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 05:09:00 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime

nickerbokker

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 05:11:30 pm »
I have to say that I hear so often that people want a dog that is "good with children".

AND HE IS.  I HAVE MET HIM AND HE WONT HURT A FLY...LET ALONE ANGUS WHO IS 70 POUNDS AND WAS STEPPING ON HIS HEAD FOR 3 DAYS.

I have always said that is not breed specific, and is contingent MUCH more with the upbringing and supervision of said dog AND children.

AND YA KNOW WHAT.....THEY DID A BETTER JOB RAISING BEAR THAN ANY OTHER DOG I HAVE EVER MET.  HE IS WHAT EVERY DOG SHOULD BE.  AND I THINK THEY KNOW HIS PERSONALITY ENOUGH TO KNOW HOW HE ACTS WITH CHILDREN AND ADULTS.

The photos you posted are darling, YES THEY ARE JAIMEhowever, I think they demonstrate a dog being put into social positions he would not normally tolerateGLAD YOU THINK SO, and kids being put into positions of doing things they should learn NEVER to do around dogsTHEY ARE BABIES.  THEY WONT REMEMBER THIS FOR ONE, AND TWO....THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RUNNING UP TO A STRAY ON THE STREET AND JUMPING ON ITS BACK...AND BEING PLACED ON THE BACK OF A THERAPY DOG.  BIG DIFFERENCE.  AND PARENTS USUALLY TEACH THAT.  NEVER PULL A DOGS EAR, I UNDERASTAND.  NEVER KICK A DOG, I UNDERSTAND.  NEVER POSE WITH A DOG FOR A PICTURE, I DONT UNDERSTAND..

Good habits are formed early, and children, for their own safety, should be taught several basic rules about dogs:

NEVER put your face next to a dog's head.  BULL.  DOG ON STREET, NO...DOG YOU KNOW...YES

NEVER touch a dog you don't know. STILL, MAYBE..MAYBE.. AN OK RULE...DONT FOLLOW IT AND NEVER HAVE. 

NEVER touch ANY dog unless an adult is present.BULL

NEVER climb onto any dog.I WAS TAUGHT THIS ALSO.....BUT SORRY, WHEN BABIES ARE OVER, THEY ARE ALWAYS LAYING ON CODY AND CUDDLING WITH CODY.  AND I COULD CARE LESS.  ITS LOVE

I adore the photos, but the fact is, kids should be taught NOT to do these things to dogs as a rule because many dogs WON'T tolerate this treatment, and injuries can occur as a result. K AGAIN, DONT BUY IT.  I THINK DOGS ARE A LOT MORE CARING AND KIND THEN YOU GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR.  MAYBE TO SOME PEOPLE DOGS ARE JUST AN OBJECT TO SHOW OFF IN THE RING, AND WIN PRIZES BECAUSE OF....BUT TO OTHERS, THEY ARE RAISED AS FAMILY MEMBERS, GOOD WITH BOTH OURSELVES AND OTHERS, AND ARE TAUGHT TO ACCEPT CHILDREN AND PEOPLE AROUND THEM AND IN THEIR FACE ALL THE TIME.  THIS IS HOW IT IS WITH ALL MY FRIENDS, ALL THEIR DOGS, AND MY OWN. 

KUDOS to your boy for being the Newfie he is and so tolerant and sweet. Not all are like that. ;)  HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW THE BREED?  AND HOW MANY DO YOU KNOW PERSONALLY THAT LEAD YOU TO THIS CONCLUSION?  IM JUST CURIOUS CUZ I THINK YOU PULL THAT STATEMENT OUT YOUR BUTT LIKE YOU DO WITH THE REST OF THIS POST.

i do believe that maybe some good intention is added into some of your posts.  but to be honest....i usually find myself and others offended at what and how you write.  this post was meant for showing pictures of priceless moments, for laughs, for a warm heart...all that mushy stuff.  it was not meant for, nor did it ask for, advice on how to raise your kids and to tell us how dangerous this is to do.  i am not even the owner of this post, and i am offended at how you turned an innocient beautiful moment into something harsh and wrong and basically scolded jaime for putting a BABY on the dog.  im really glad that you think you know soo much about animals and the proper way to raise them...i will be the first to admit that i dont know enough about either of mine...but there is a place and a time for everything, and i think you do a really bad job at determining when you should open your mouth.  this is a nice place.  we share moments (good, bad and scary) and pictures and laugh and joke and we generally love eachother.  we keep it clean, we keep it nice....and i am personally tired of having to get mad everytime you post.  ive been silent many a time...and im done.  please...expre ss your opinion...but use better judgement.  add a little heart into them. knowledge is great.....it really is....but you have one nasty way of getting your point across. 

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 06:10:54 pm »
My comments are perhaps fueled parially by my inbox that is full every day of panicked messages about new Breed specific legislation, or breeding restrictions, or the latest in the state of California, a proposal to allow municipalities to pass breed specific laws requiring spay/neuter.

I speak from a very practical viewpoint when I post.

Novice people can take the strangest ideas from the most innocent posts and photos.

My comments are intended only to balance the (definitely adorable photos) with the other side of the story.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

nickerbokker

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 06:44:45 pm »
My comments are perhaps fueled parially by my inbox that is full every day of panicked messages about new Breed specific legislation, or breeding restrictions, or the latest in the state of California, a proposal to allow municipalities to pass breed specific laws requiring spay/neuter.

I speak from a very practical viewpoint when I post.

Novice people can take the strangest ideas from the most innocent posts and photos.

My comments are intended only to balance the (definitely adorable photos) with the other side of the story.

bear is balanced...he doesnt need you to do it for him

and WE dont want the other side of the story.  sometimes we want to live in our happy little bubble, and i think that is okay. 

i post frantic posts all the time asking for help and answers and opinions....an d people jump right in to help out.....THAT is when we want to hear all you have to say.  if you want to start a post about how YOU dont let children come near your dogs...THATS GREAT.....star t the post, and if people want to read it they willl....BUT.. .dont come crap on someone elses parade.

i dont necessarily think YOU are on the wrong message board....but rather, the way you chime in and the manner in which you do it is on the wrong message board.  there is a certain friendly vibe on this site which is why we love it here....it is a SAFE place for us to come and talk and chat and share...we know we aren't going to be put down, or scolded or judged.....but all the sudden...i find myself worrying if JUST THAT is going to happen.  if i post this, is she going to get all booky on me and start telling me everything i did wrong?!  I DONT WANT THAT....WE DONT WANT THAT! 

IF WE PUT BABIES ON OUR DOGS....LET US!  ITS NOT YOUR PLACE TO CORRECT US!  WE ARE NOT HURTING THE DOG, THE KID, OR THE WORLD...UNTIL THAT HAPPENS, MIND YOUR BUSINESS...AND LET US LIVE IN OUR BUBBLE.

i think its very impressive that you know enough to write an article.  i do.  thats swell.  but sometimes....w e dont want all that knowledge and crap...we just want to look at a picture of a baby girl, laying on a bear, and to go AWWWWWWWWWW.

it's that simple.  we just wanna drool over the kids loving eachother.  let us.

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 07:10:30 pm »
jamie those pics were so adorable i loved them an thank you for sharing them with us up until now i was having a horrible day  and i feel i have to say thank-you nicker an tina i agree whole heartly with you one could not ask for a better dog then a newfie around children i have been around quite a few they are the best around children even when they are not raised with a child they alow children to do whatever to them  i have even beem around some very mean dogs who have not been raised around children who do tolerate what a baby will do more then a toddler or a child dogs do know the difference it is only a 5% who will attack a baby my baby is a pit mix who allows my baby who is 19 months to do things to him that he does not allow the 4yr old to do but he still will not bite a child of any age the most chance will do is hold on to their arm and he does it very gently he holds them long enough to say stop it an he will bring to us the offending child and whatever they hit him with he is highly protective over all children which he proved at the fireworks i think he is a newfie in disguise lol
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 07:16:37 pm »
I just want to ad that I am sure that if bear wasn't the gentle soul that he is the babies would have been nowhere near him...My kids use Samson as a pillow all the time...I won't let the neighbor kids near him unless I am right there on top of them practically... There is a difference...R ed, I have been gritting my teeth on your posts & being as nice as I can be but I have to say I knew this was coming.

ann

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 07:32:46 pm »

what sweet pics. thank you for sharing them..it reminds me of when my granddaughter was born 2 years ago i have pics of madie my boxer sitting by  her car seat and laying on the bed next to her she was so gentle ...

ann

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 07:58:06 pm »
*Sigh*  I am just one of those people that just wants everyone to always get along...  But here I go, I am going to throw my two cents in for better or worse....

Red, I strongly feel that you had good intentions.  You obviously have a lot of experience under your belt and no qualms about sharing that experience with folks.  I do feel that sometimes your posts come across a little bit less "here is my advice based on my years of experience and what has worked for me" and possibly a little bit more preachy and "you need to do this" than you may realize or intend.  But, different people have different writing styles - there is nothing wrong with that.  In many cases your advice is very appropriate and helpful, BUT there is a time and a place for it.  

I think first and foremost you needed to consider the source of these pictures.  This is not some unknown person that no one has ever seen post here before, who we have no background on, with a dog that we know nothing about - this is Jamie and Bear!  Do you really think that Jamie would put either a child or her own dog in a situation that she felt was unsafe for either of them?  

I realize that you come from a very practical place when you post, and your rules for child/dog interactions are excellent ones, but this was not a posting asking for advice on how to insure appropriate interactions between children and dogs - this was a posting of photos of a closely supervised child and dog being monitored by someone who knows both well.  I wouldn't hesitate to solicit your advice when and if I needed it (and I am sure I will at some point), I just think your timing may have been a bit off here...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*