Author Topic: Not sure how I feel about this.........  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Not sure how I feel about this.........
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:53 pm »
Just found out that Sadie's former owners sent the SO an email today asking how she's doing. 

I want to be happy about this because it does show that they haven't totally forgotten about her.  Maybe there's even a little regret there which will serve them well the next time they choose a dog.  I think they were nice people who just chose the wrong breed.

I want to - but I can't - not totally.  There's a part of me that wants to tell them to back off - Sadie is part of my family now. 

I don't think they want to try to take her back or anything like that, mind you.  They even admitted that they were afraid to contact us because they weren't sure it would be well received.  So why do I suddenly feel like I need to protect my girl?
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure how I feel about this.........
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:53 pm »
You're just being a good mama. Did Sadie come from a bad situation? I guess I don't know much about it, but it doesn't sound like a breeder checking in (in which case I'm sure you'd be thrilled to hear from them). It sounds like she wasn't in the right hands, so while I'm sure you were polite to them, I can understand why you'd feel protective over you furkid! I don't see any problem with feeling a bit put out by it, Sadie is your girl now.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:49 pm »
I guess I don't know about her background either. I don't even know what an SO is. But to me it seems like your feelings are understandable but nothing to worry about. I would just say something like, "she's doing great, thanks."

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »
Just to recap:  Sadie was a rehome from a family who, while nice and well meaning, just picked the wrong breed (or maybe the right breed but the wrong time).  My impression was that they didn't really understand just how big and messy even a Newf puppy is.  They had her for 3 weeks before rehoming her.

I will say that they didn't do much research into Newfs prior to buying her because the info I've found on her breeder just screams "puppy mill".  

An SO is a Significant Other.

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:54:04 pm »
Well....I don't think you have anything to worry about. They probably did feel bad about giving up on her. I have a friend who gave her puppy to her daughter after a week because she wasn't prepared for what a job it was. I mean this is a really nice lady who thought she wanted this puppy and it was more than she could deal with.

I think they need to know she is ok so they won't feel bad for giving up. And she is better than ok.......so that's good.

Significant Other........I feel stupid. I should have known that.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:12:46 am »
You are definately being a protective mother - thats great and Sadie deserves your protection.  I agree with the others, perhaps they were just loving people who couldn't deal with what they weren't prepared for and just want to know she is doing well.  I would e-mail them with the basics.  Sadie is going well in our home, with our other dogs and family.  Thats pretty much it or I would add that she is still overcoming some puppy like issues.  Just so they remember there are always issues with puppies that it isn't all Rosie with a young dog.  That way you have updated them but also shown that she isn't perfect so they don't think well now she is all fixed we should try to get her back....OK I have a suspicious mind.

Randy and Harley

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:24:14 am »
The lady that gave Gage to me, well practically threw his stuff out the door at me when I said we would try him out  ::), asks me all the time to get him together with her new Boxer.  A boxer she got from some rescue group, now I can only guess she lied on the application saying that she had never given up a dog before or had allergies, as that was part of her excuse for Gage to go.  She is now allergic to the Boxer. :-\

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:55:23 am »
I don't think you are feeling anything that is wrong.  You are just protecting what is now yours.  I got calls from ChiChi's former owner repeatedly, even to the point of them wanting to come visit her.  I said no and stopped taking their calls.  I'm sorry, when someone tells me "If you cannot come get this dog today, we are taking her to AC." they do not love the dog and have no business pretending to later on.  ChiChi had to be muzzled and tied in the back of my jeep to get her home without her attacking me.  For 3 hours I drove listening to her growling and snarling at me in the back of the jeep.  It was the most unnerving ride of my life.  She would have been put down, when she walked through the door of animal control.  They had to know that, so basically it's either come get her or she dies.  They have no business asking me anything about her.  Your dog's former owner sounds like they might actually care, but I would not get overly detailed about her or anything like that.  I agree with giving them basic info along with some negatives, if there are any.  Typical puppy things that she does, that some people would find annoying. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
Talked to the SO again today and he said he sent them a picture of Sadie cuddling with Fargo and some basic info on her.  Their response was something along the lines of "oh - she seems so much happier there." 

I think you're right, they want her to be happy but not TOO happy. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:33:07 pm by Ursa »