Author Topic: Ideas on stopping Playful Puppy biting  (Read 7927 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on stopping Playful Puppy biting
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 10:38:48 am »
Tanimara...... . Not that I have a Livestock guardian, but having had many different type breed dogs, I am very interested in reading and learning as much as possible, and if you dont mind I would absolutely love to read that article. You are so right when you say, different breed act and react very different.

I too though believe that most dogs do understand cause and effect.

Personally I have not really used time out, mainly because I never really found a good place to do the time out. I didnt want to use the bed or their bed or anywhere, where it is supposed to be nice and safe for them. So I really have very little experience of time out, but would love to read about it.

The dogs I have had, have listened rather fast to NO, the squirt bottle have worked well, holding the lip so when they mouth your hand they bite their lip instead, voila it isnt all that fun to bite anylonger. That worked wonderfully with the danes. squirt bottle with lime juice works better on Galahad. Also when doing this say a firm NO and right away offer a chew toy and say good puppy when it starts chewing on that instead. Its already been said, but the more chew toys a puppy has the better, always something there, they are not bored off quite yet lol...... Also depending on how hard they tend to chew, they  have the chill bones now, and my vet says they work well, have not a lot of experience of them myself though.

Good Luck and it will get better

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 01:36:54 pm »
I thought I already posted the link.. sorry

It's a fairly long read but worth every minute.  Funny, heart breaking, uplifting all at the same time.

http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/patous.htm

I know his breeder and he raises great dogs, is an AKC judge for Pyrs and is deeply involved with the GPCA.
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 01:44:41 pm »
Thanks a lot tanimara, I will absolutely read it, every little thing you learn can come in handy, and that is the fun part about having animals, you never ever get bored, always new information and new studies to read. well my hubby dont really see that kind of reading as fun, but I love it,

thanks for sharing

marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 10:05:46 pm »
I would love to hear more about Great Pyrenees. My SnowFlake  is just over 8 1/2 weeks now.  I have never raised her bread.  She is so very smart.  Also I can't figure out how to put my pawprint on here.  Please help me. I know how to post a picture but not how to get my pawprint next to my name.
I love the replys you all have been giving me thanks so much.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 07:34:25 am »
I would love to hear more about Great Pyrenees. My SnowFlake  is just over 8 1/2 weeks now.  I have never raised her bread.  She is so very smart.  Also I can't figure out how to put my pawprint on here.  Please help me. I know how to post a picture but not how to get my pawprint next to my name.
I love the replys you all have been giving me thanks so much.
on the top left of evey page there is a link to the paw prints. Also, you can go to you profile (also on the left, just lower under USER TOOLS) and add a picture, or avatar, that appears beside every post of yours.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 07:36:37 am by PupDaddy »

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 01:35:05 am »
Please send me a copy of the letter you are talking about.  Thank you
Lendy